Location of Updates Downloaded

Windows XP Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
ZakXP

Location of Updates Downloaded

Post by ZakXP »

Hi - I am in the process of downloading XP updates so that I can slipstream them. I thought that when I clicked Next after choosing the updates I wanted, that I would then be given an option of where the updates would be saved. Instead, it says they are installing. Tried to stop it, but couldn't find that option.

Can someone direct me to where they are saved so I can create an slipsteamed image?

Thanks!
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Location of Updates Downloaded

Post by Whatacrock »

@ ZakXP -- you will find the updates in the modules directory for the location of your apup/autopatcher, for example your apup directory is on C:\ therefore your updates can be found in C:\APUP\modules\Windows XP x86. Within Windows XP x86 you will find sub dirctories for Critical, Non Critical, Components etc

Am assuming that you have downloaded the required updates. If not open apup, click options, in the url address bar add a "2" (without quotes) after releases. You will be presented a new list of releases including Windows XP x86, select this and click next. Once downloaded and wishing to return to the main list, click options, click default and you will be returned to the main list.

Hope that help answer your inquiry and do ask if more assistance is required.
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
ZakXP

Post by ZakXP »

Perfect! I see that there is the Critical folder where the files have one extension and then there is a Critical folder within that where they have another extension. There are 295 files in the first folder and 144 files in the second. What is the difference between these folders and can you tell me which one should I use to Slipstream? I am thinking it is the 144 files, and, if so, why is are there more in the other one?

Thanks for this wonderful service!
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

ZakXP: Any file with and extension of "apm" is NOT and update for you. Its just a small script telling AP what each update is for, how to detect if its already installed, and the commands to install/uninstall are. You will want the folders that say "_files" on them.
mhammett

Post by mhammett »

Given the cancellation of APUP, where are the downloaded updates stored now?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

well apup has not been canceled so much as absorbed into Autopatcher.exe. It will now do both. So... follow the link on the front page that says THE autopatcher download.