Is updates for Windows XP x86 removed from autopatcher?

Windows XP Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
gregram

Is updates for Windows XP x86 removed from autopatcher?

Post by gregram »

Question to developers:
Cant find options to select updates for Windows XP x86 - have options only for x64. Is is normal? Was updates for x86 removed from autopatcher???
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Is updates for Windows XP x86 removed from autopatcher?

Post by Whatacrock »

gregram
The Windows XP x86 updates are still available, you need to do this:

Start APUP, click "Options", in the address bar add a "2" (without quotes) after releases, or simply copy and paste the following http://www.autopatcher.net/releases2.list

Once you have completed your download restart APUP, click "Options" click "Default" to return to main list.
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
slwtx1983

Post by slwtx1983 »

What is the deal with this? It appears it has been removed and readded a few times. Are we not allowed to get updates for XP SP3 x86 anymore? I downloaded the releases2.list file and uncommented the xp sp3 part and used it, and it failed, as I assumed it would, with "file not found" issues. Not sure why it can't just keep going when it misses a file, but my original query stands. Do we just do the SP2 build and deal with no sp3 updates?
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

The problem lies in the fact that many of the download links for the updates are no longer available. The amount of work required to sort and remove the invalid entries would make a release that barely would be worth the effort, only approximately 100 Mb in size (two thirds of final update).
This was going to happen one way or the other, so the release was retired permanently. Sooner or later the same issues will arise for Windows XP x64/Server 2003 SP3
slwtx1983

Post by slwtx1983 »

Oh, my biggest concern was more that it kept trying to quit the entire program simply because the files were not found. I had to hit the X in the corner like 50 times to get it to finish. I'm fine with XP being super old and outdated. I was just helping my cousin fix her super old laptop after she got a bad virus. It would just be nice to have a list of files that were not completed at the end of the process, rather than having to hit the X 50 times throughout he process.

Other than that, it got me to the proper level of updates to allow Windows to take over and Windows Update downloaded and installed another 183 updates for me. I just couldn't get Windows Updates to work even after installing SP3 and IE8, so I used AutoUpdater to get me the rest of the way there.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Since there are so many requiring Windows XP x86, will look into possibly cleaning up the release (as of last update). This will give you at least a starting point as posted by slwtx1983.

Keep you pposted
slwtx1983

Post by slwtx1983 »

LOL that is super generous of you. I wouldn't at all for an OS that is so incredibly old. It would be nice just to have an option where every failure shows up at the end so that way it at least finishes all the good updates before warning me about all the broken ones. If it waited until the end, and then it gave me a little list of failed files and I could just click OK to every one of them at the same time, I'd be happy. :)
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Have completed stripping all the missing link downloads from Windows XP x86 SP3. Have signed and uploaded to the server....

THIS WILL BE THE ABSOLUTE LAST TIME WINDOWS XP X86 SP3 WILL BE UPDATED

No changelog supplied as more than 160 updates removed...
slwtx1983

Post by slwtx1983 »

You're a good person. Thank you for your community support!
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

Yeh, Wac is a righteous dude :)

Wow, 160 updates gone, hardly seems worth!