Windows XP x86

Windows XP Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
themadkansan

Re: Windows XP x86

Post by themadkansan »

I have tried it with both AP6.1.4 and 6.2.0 - Sweeper sez the archives are legit, but it hits me with the blizzard of barf with either version while installing.

Im'a wipe the drive and try a fresh XP reinstall one more time - apparently I'm Entropy Incarnate right now...
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

themadkansan wrote:I have tried it with both AP6.1.4 and 6.2.0 - Sweeper sez the archives are legit, but it hits me with the blizzard of barf with either version while installing.

Im'a wipe the drive and try a fresh XP reinstall one more time - apparently I'm Entropy Incarnate right now...
Hi tmk

Sweeper verifies the releases using the rtiz files -- AP should also display official if all is well. If unofficial, take a look at the "About" -- "Release Info" tab in AP, the failing releases need addressing. I figure the "blizzard of barf" is coming from AutoPatcher 6x! AP 6x still seems to have more bugs than I care for, at least from the reports I've read.

As an option, for Windows XP maybe AP 5756 & APUP 1510 might be a better combo, assuming the installation routines in the more recent apm(s) wont confuse AP 5x. Since AP 5x only installs you'll need APUP for downloading, or you could copy over the XP relevant releases to the AP 5x .\modules folder -- either way :D APUP 1510 is lurking in a thread somewhere :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1271 - I'd grab it just in case.

I can't attach my copy of AP 5x, I'm getting a "file too large" error, at 1.3MB I must have a 1MB max file attachment size. No biggie, maybe Wac or TAPG can post it for you. I'm sure if there's a problem with using AP 5x on Windows XP TAPG will say something.

Anyway, just a few suggestions & my 2 cents worth.
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

...I just did all this through AP6.1.32 not very long ago and it worked fine. Strike that, I just remembered I didn't use AP on the last machine I installed to before this one - was a quick&dirty install to check function of some other hardware. lemme see if I can find 5750 like you said... nope, it's gone now, link broken. ~:L
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

themadkansan wrote:...I just did all this through AP6.1.32 not very long ago and it worked fine. Strike that, I just remembered I didn't use AP on the last machine I installed to before this one - was a quick&dirty install to check function of some other hardware. lemme see if I can find 5750 like you said... nope, it's gone now, link broken. ~:L
Hi tmk

If you're having difficulty with various AP 6x versions installing updates, like I mentioned AP 5756 (from what I recall) is suitable for Windows XP. We'll figure a way to get it to you if you want it. I also mentioned AP 5x doesn't download so you'll need to grab APUP 1510 too, that was the link I pointed you to in my previous post. You can always copy any release from AP 6x to AP 5x (this would negate the need for APUP) just make sure to get everything, including the rti(z) files. Sweeper in /test mode will give you a list of missing files in case you're unsure, you'll need the rti(z) for Sweeper to work, otherwise Sweeper views any files not associated with an rti(z) as EXTRA and wants to delete em - I always so "NO" or use /test unless I'm sure.

Also, AP 6x is the future but AP 5x is a sensible fix for now, getting your machine updated (without breaking something) is the priority, how you do it (AP 5x or 6x) seems less important... in my view :D
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

Having a different AP to do XP isn't a big thing for me, it's EOL so I just need to be able to bring a machine up to the endpoint; I can stow the XP archive and the older AP together separate from the newer stuff. It's just a matter of getting a copy, since the 6.x versions I have don't work.

6.1.32 and 6.1.40 6.1.40 and 6.2.0 exhibit the same behavior on XP for me, at least - they fail on what looks like all the "critical" patches (138 of them), and they either fail out silently (the majority) or with a dialog box showing the available command switches that I have to click off to make things continue. 6.1.32 will tell me the status of the archives (official or unofficial) and show me which ones are bad if unofficial; 6.1.40 just fails out all the checks and calls everything false, doesn't even list the archive names in the release info box.

5/31 ETA: alright, if you've a mind, I've got a throwaway email account that should take attachments: opunssrr-ng-rntyrpbz-qbg-argrot13
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Have updated the Windows XP x86 SP3 release, to stop the UNOFFICIAL status. Please refer to any of latest posts in this regard...
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

Whatacrock wrote:Have updated the Windows XP x86 SP3 release, to stop the UNOFFICIAL status. Please refer to any of latest posts in this regard...
mine shows everything I have as official already under 6.1.40, it just won't install any of the Critical patches correctly - either fails silently or fails with a dialog box listing valid switches that I have to close before it will continue.

6.2.00 shows =everything= as unofficial, even if I download the patches fresh, and doesn't even list any of the packages under About->Release Info, just a bunch of lines saying 'false', and fails out on installing XP patches like 6.1.40 does.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

ohh? Crap... your right. I can't even do anything about that either. Well I can... If I install vb6 in a VM. grrr...
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

unfortunately, yeah - that's why I've been trying to scrounge up a copy of AP5.7.56/APUP1.5.10 to use for XP builds; it's the last one that I know worked...

:)

edit: aha! I see the post downboard now. thankee.

edit-edit: installers are working now on XP with 5.7.56.
FukkenSaved

Post by FukkenSaved »

Thanks to the Autopatcher team for all the good work, I switched to Windows 7 about a month ago
I never used Windows Update, just the service pack downloads then Autopatcher when I found out about it around 2007
I'd have to agree it's time to let XP die - You can get Windows 7 to behave tolerably, you just have to absorb the 10 hour learning curve
I look forward to 10 more years and beyond having a redistributable, opt-in, accountable updating system