New win 7 cumulative update

Windows 7 Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
fleon

New win 7 cumulative update

Post by fleon »

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/win ... 7-and-8-1/

Will this update come to autopatcher? How it will affect current updates?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New win 7 cumulative update

Post by TheAPGuy »

Possibly. Its too soon to tell. We need to find out if the update is detectable by itself or if we can only detect it by its smattering of detections for all the updates it applies.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Had a quick look over the update and it is detectable by itself, generating just one catalog entry.

As a suggestion if this does make it way to autopatcher then would be advisable to have a separate script created for it, am talking of the convenience rollup not the monthly rollups (the May rollup is in the current scripts for both Win7 and 8)

More to come as it develops..
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
DesertJerry

Post by DesertJerry »

Win7 w/SP1 64bit - installed KB3125574 - the cumulative pack some want to call SP2 (almost).

Started APUP 1.4.43 > error messages galore: Application Error: File name or class name not found during Automation operation In mdlInitialization.Main At Line 108 > OK > ... Line 100 > ... initFolders At Line 102 > Line 104 > Line 108 > Object variable or With block variable not set In mdlInitialization.initFolders At Line 108.

Started AutoPatcher 5.7.56 > Some kind of error: File name or class name not found during Automation operations On File: \Autopatcher\autopatcher.log > Crash Handler > Yikes! > Where: mdlInitialization.SubMain(), Error Code: 0x1B0: File Name or class name not found during Automation operation > Quit

Started Autopatcher 6.1.0.40 > nothing - no response. (Had worked previously - no .log file created)
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Created a new VM for Windows 7 x86 for testing this Convenience Update.

Once KB3020369 was installed, then proceeded with KB3125574 (Convenience Update). Time to install was approximately 10 minutes, once completed, rebooted and allow for system to configure the updates. Once completed and returned to desktop checked the Catroot for entries, there is only one main entry but countless for the packages.
Started Autopatcher 6.1.40 to check if any of the security updates displayed as installed --- no joy (126 updates to install), with that in mind adding this to Autopatcher could cause confusion to some users. I should of installed the Rollup for May 2016 but instead activated Windows Update to do it's job.
Offered just a total of 51 updates, this included Windows Internet Explorer 11, other security updates and the non security ones.

Conclusion, IMHO this Rollup would be better off left in the hands of individuals who want to do a fresh install then continue updating with WU/MU.
Saying that I wipe my hands of it, there may be someone else in the community willing to take it one. I am already overloaded as it is...
fleon

Post by fleon »

i concur, this update leaves still too many updates to install and doesn't include IE11 (why?)
I am just using this to update stock sp1 isos.
but admittedly autopatcher could use this cumulative update and delete all the other updates it replaces, because it is a lot quicker to install (and less space required)
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

It would be a bit of work to copy&paste edit all the current apms this effects to include an extra detection for the new update (SP1.5?). As WAC has stated he has a lot on his plate already. This might make thing simpler for other people but, not for him. If he does not want to spend time on it, then it is up to someone who has free time to do the work.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

There are several issues to spring to mind for including this in autopatcher:

1/. Possibly a customised version of autopatcher would be required. As it currently runs the critical updates are checked by default, the Convenience Rollup however is a Non Security (optional) update, so is KB3020369 which is the prerequisite for KB3125574 (Convenience Rollup).
KB3020369 would need to checked (no other update) so as to set the stage for KB3125574. On restart of autopatcher KB3125574 would be checked for installation. From then on Security Updates checked for installation, proceeding as per normal operation.

2/. It would take a lot of work to collect the updates(modules and installers) that are still required by the System. As previously stated there are about 51 updates. Will compile a listing of those updates that are still required, will probably find some that will be listed but not contained in current release.
Will add a spoiler to this post with the listing once completed(hopefully by the end of today -- Saturday).

It appears a daunting challenge, once the layout becomes familiar is not so hard....

Here is the list of updates offered by Windows Update after installing KB3125574, this may vary from user to user but at least a baseline to start
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Whatacrock on Tue May 24, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
erpster3

Post by erpster3 »

Whatacrock wrote:Here is the list of updates offered by Windows Update after installing KB3125547, this may vary from user to user but at least a baseline to start
You need to edit your post above mine ASAP, Whatacrock. It's KB3125574, not KB3125547 (this does not exist).

And KB3125574 does NOT prevent the installation of the KB2775511 update as that patch requires a reboot to install (as I've tested it myself on a Win7 computer).
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Corrected post --- BTW where did I mention any thing about KB2775511 ????