AutoPatcher Windows 7 (x64) Updates

Windows 7 Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AutoPatcher Windows 7 (x64) Updates

Post by TheAPGuy »

themadkansan wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:06 pm Clicked the link and downloaded an MSU file 477MB in size. Looked inside it with 7zip, appears to be crammed full of microsofty things. Ran it, twiddled thumbs awhile as it ran, "Installation Complete, you must restart your computer yadayada" *reboot*

ok, back, seems to have worked. :)
ok here is a link for this months rollup update
http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msd ... 25839e.msu <-- 198mb
I will add this into the script and then it should be up to date. (well I mean I will add each Months rollup update as well, up to this months.)

the problem here is that I don't know if I can detect the installs. It does not leave behind a file with ID KB4034664 in it like all the other updates do. :( There is a plethora of registry entries but, they look specific to the system. They count up in ID numbers in the name. "Package_104_for_KB4034664~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.4". They are all like so.

themadkansan if you know how to use regedit please look for the above listed key.
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

I searched the registry for what you had in quotation marks, got no hits.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

You probably do not have that update then or if you do have it... it might be under something different but still similar.
Try just searching for KB4034664
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

TheAPGuy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:08 am You probably do not have that update then or if you do have it... it might be under something different but still similar.
Try just searching for KB4034664
Sry, life inconveniently intervened the past coupla days.

I searched the registry for that string, still came back with no hits - would running Update Cleanup remove it? I tend to do it every couple of months to get rid of all the WU leftovers...
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Impromptu vacation was impromptu. I am back now and I am testing something for windows 7 atm. I am going to setup the script with KB3125574(Convenience rollup update) in mind.
This rollup package includes most updates that were released after the release of SP1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, through April 2016.
I can vastly trim down the script with this. I can put in the monthly rollup updates to get it up to date after that update. It should bring the download count down to 18 ish large files. (complaints?)

edit:
ok so its will be about 15 update files so far. I have NOT installed them in my test VM (yet)(except the first two). Total space used 2.03gb

Here is The List
www.autopatcher.net/Other/Windows_7_Rollup_Updates.txt
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

don't worry not gone again... installing a few of them each day. Install one... restart... install one... restart. takes for ever on a VM. Although it would be faster if I dedicated more then 2 of my cores to it but, I play games (which I pause often to check progress) while I wait for install to complete.
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

No prob, no huge hurry. Lately, several Mondays have ganged together and attacked me en masse...
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I know that feels. Its exactly why when the opportunity to getaway presented itself I said "HELL YA!" I got about 5 more installs to do. I will see if I can get them all done today.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

So I got the installs done and then told windows to look for more updates.... ya. 44(it is 51 in total but, that includes .NET updates) more updates. Most are in the old script and a some are not. Some were even in the script at one time but were removed, I don't know why. To be fair that is about 140 LESS updates to list in the new script so that is a major win in my book. I can just copy paste over the ones that windows is asking for that are already in the previous script.

edit:
33 updates were already in the script and were copied over
6 updates were in the script at one time and were removed
5 updates don't appear to have been in the script at all

edit2:
Script is set up(mostly)
I just have to make the apm files and create a new batch file to delete the old updates.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

ok working on the script again.. been getting a ton of overtime and that just makes me not want to do a damn thing when getting home. I got the script done per say, I just need to finish up creating the apm files. That means installing the updates and looking for detections for them.

Also the download is smaller then I thought. The reason I couldn't find some of the rollup KBs after installing more rollups... installing the next rollup update removes/renames the last rollup. lol? So ya. Also all you need is the latest update since it contains all the previous updates. Looking at the size increase for EACH rollup shows there is a size increase of each one so, yep. You only need 3 old rollups and then the latest. The 3 old rollups do not get rolled into the latest for some reason.