Install Instructions for Windows 7 updates

Windows 7 Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
WallyDog2149

Install Instructions for Windows 7 updates

Post by WallyDog2149 »

First of all, I tried many apps before this one. Seems Autopatcher works the best so far. One of the apps I used was WSUS Offline...The problem with WSUS Offline is that once it downloaded everything, it installed everything in ascending order according to the time stamp the modules downloaded rather than their publication date. This caused a lot of problems.

Autopatcher installs them correctly by publication order.

1. After you've configured your downloads and downloaded the Windows Update modules, and restart AutoPatcher. And simply click on the text that says something like "Install Updates". AutoPatcher will make a list of all the downloaded modules and let you choose which ones to install. Simply select all the patches that aren't in blue text and start the installation process by clicking the "Next" button.

2. In Windows 7, run the Services app as administrator.

3. Scroll down to "Windows Update", right-click on it, and select "Stop".

4. When the Windows Update service restarts itself, and after a few updates are installed by AutoPatcher, the Windows Update icon will show up in the notification tray. Every time it does this, restart your computer to make sure the updates AutoPatcher installed become installed by Windows properly.

This is probably the best solution I can think of since Windows Firewall seems to be the culprit for the inability to download and install updates.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Install Instructions for Windows 7 updates

Post by TheAPGuy »

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

I thought the firewall might be the problem too but, turning it off does not fix it. It turned out it is the update service itself that is the issue. There was an update release that is supposed to fix that. I forget the KB I would have to look it up. Basically the service was waiting in a long loop for something to happen. While doing this its eating a ton of cpu cycles, 13% on my AMD FX 8350 which isn't something to scoff at.

Anyways the permanent fix for me was to switch the services run time from auto to manual so it does not run unless I start it manually (hitting check for updates or using IE to check for updates). No more problems.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

Hi WallyDog, welcome :)
WallyDog2149 wrote:First of all, I tried many apps before this one. Seems Autopatcher works the best so far. One of the apps I used was WSUS Offline...The problem with WSUS Offline is that once it downloaded everything, it installed everything in ascending order according to the time stamp the modules downloaded rather than their publication date. This caused a lot of problems.

Autopatcher installs them correctly by publication order.

I didn't know that about WSUS, this is very problematic. I would think there's a tweak to fix the order of install.

Yes, AP follows a release date priority, a Feb. 15, 2016 update will install before Mar. 11, 2016, but, only if selected together. If a user doesn't select Feb. 15 - it won't install. We try to put in place any prerequisites an update may have, if missing the update should be grayed. This isn't a perfect science though and we want users to be mindful and observant of the update process, take control of AP, don't rely on AP fully to be absolutely correct in all cases - this is impossible.

It should be noted, this will piggyback on your comment below - AP is not Windows Update. Windows Update is mindful of each system it scans whereas AP can make general suggestions but the end user must also make decisions (be proactive) otherwise the update experience will not go well. I use the term SMART -> AP is not SMART... hopefully the user is :)

What AP is that WU/MU is not -> portable, reusable, able to put on a thumb drive, patch your system & your wife's too, and everybody is safe before they connect to the internet. But, throw a few reboots in there between runs, and update major versions of software first - reboot - then apply the patches that were released "after" the major version was released.
WallyDog2149 wrote:1. After you've configured your downloads and downloaded the Windows Update modules, and restart AutoPatcher. And simply click on the text that says something like "Install Updates". AutoPatcher will make a list of all the downloaded modules and let you choose which ones to install. Simply select all the patches that aren't in blue text and start the installation process by clicking the "Next" button.

2. In Windows 7, run the Services app as administrator.

3. Scroll down to "Windows Update", right-click on it, and select "Stop".

4. When the Windows Update service restarts itself, and after a few updates are installed by AutoPatcher, the Windows Update icon will show up in the notification tray. Every time it does this, restart your computer to make sure the updates AutoPatcher installed become installed by Windows properly.

This is probably the best solution I can think of since Windows Firewall seems to be the culprit for the inability to download and install updates.
1) The idea of simply selecting all checked updates is very scary and will usually lead to problems. This might be OK for the user who updates every month, who is on top of things, but for the user who "hasn't patched their system in months" - yikes, knocking on 200 updates in a single run without a reboot along the way. I'm not a fan of this approach.

We have some troubles with the "new install" user who (IMO) is impatient, they do the same thing... expect AP to successfully install every update since SP1 was released -> in 1 run -> with only 1 reboot -> can't happen.

4) I wasn't sure exactly what was meant by ->-> "restart your computer to make sure the updates AutoPatcher installed become installed by Windows properly."

Again, welcome to the AP forums WallyDog, hope you continue to use AP and offer tips that other users will benefit from :)
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

some updates won't fully install until a restart happens due to what it wants to update is being used at the moment. It unpacks the update into a temp folder and sets up a command to run the update before windows finishes starting up. You will see during restart/shutdown it will tell you not to turn off the computer while it does its thing. Also when it coming back up it says re-configuring.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

OK.