patch issues

Windows 7 Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
Bethrezen

patch issues

Post by Bethrezen »

Hi all

Ok so I’m running Windows 7 Professional N and I just got through running Autopatcher most of the updates installed without to much hassle although it did take a couple of passes but I assume that this is because some patches can’t be installed until others have been installed which means that I need to do a couple of passes to get them installed anyway once done I noted that there where a number of patches that refused to install.

So I decided to investigate further, so 1 by one I searched for and manually executed each of the patches and here is the responses I got back from the patch installers.
► Show Spoiler
Recommended Updates – which wouldn’t install through Autopatcher but installed correctly when triggered manually
kb3065987

not sure if this is a bug or not but though I'd report it because it seems a little odd, because I would assume that autopatcher would check what version of windows I'm running aka

Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Enterprise
Windows 7 Ultimate

Then only present a list of patches that are applicable to that version.

Also after finishing up with autopatcher I checked windows update for any further updates and the following where listed
► Show Spoiler
so might be worth checking in to each of these and then updating the patch list accordingly
Last edited by Whatacrock on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spoiler added to shorten length of post
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: patch issues

Post by TheAPGuy »

strange... the first critical update you mention is for every version of windows up to 7x86. there are other x86 update you list as well. Do you have win7 x64?

edit:
ohh wait... whats this?
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2016 (KB890830) <--- this applies to ALL version of windows. If it doesn't apply to you... I don't know what would. I wonder if it says that if its already installed.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

@Bethrezen

If you haven't, update AP to 6.2.6 - see releases list.
Bethrezen wrote:Critical Updates - Already installed but not highlighted as such in Autopatcher
kb2872339
Can you confirm kb2872339 is infact installed? If it is, can you compare the detections in the apm to your system and post your findings. Please see, after updating to 6.2.6, if AP shows kb2872339 in Blue.
Bethrezen wrote:Also after finishing up with autopatcher I checked windows update for any further updates and the following where listed
In case you were unaware (I don't know what releases you've downloaded), there's a .NET Framework x86 release, and the Common release should have the MSRT KB890830 tool you want.
Bethrezen wrote:Recommended Updates – which wouldn’t install through Autopatcher but installed correctly when triggered manually
kb3065987
AP 6.2.6 should fix this type of installation issue.
Bethrezen wrote:<snip>... I would assume that autopatcher would check what version of windows I'm running
AP does - see the top lines of the ap.log file but, this isn't always the only detail that matters with updates. There are, however, ways to make the apm(s) more precise but to do so requires so many variables. AP hopes that users will also be as proactive as possible, and know that certain updates don't apply to their system -- maybe the update targets the OS but also a software version that the user isn't running.

Again, maybe better Titles & Descriptions would help but users would need to actually highlight and read each update's info and know they can uncheck or leave unchecked certain updates.

I'm not directing this to you, this is just an observation of the difficulty with dealing with a user base whose systems are vast and unique. AP is not for the hands-off user, these users need to use MU/WU to patch their systems.
Bethrezen

Post by Bethrezen »

Strange... the first critical update you mention is for every version of windows up to 7x86. there are other x86 update you list as well. Do you have win7 x64?
Do it’s definitely the 32 bit version as you can see from this screen shot

https://s32.postimg.org/wql9u2eid/Untitled3.png
edit:
ohh wait... whats this?
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2016 (KB890830) <--- this applies to ALL version of windows. If it doesn't apply to you... I don't know what would. I wonder if it says that if its already installed.
What ??? The Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2016 (KB890830) wasn’t one of the Critical Updates or Recommended Updates that where being flagged as not applicable to my system that was simply one of the patches that appeared on windows update after I was done patching my system with Autopatcher.

I provided the list of updates that where showing up on windows update after patching with Autopatcher in case Whatacrock missed them and needed to update the windows7 patch list.

I think possibly you may have misread my post sorry if there was any confusion.
If you haven't, update AP to 6.2.6 - see releases list.
As you will see from this first screen shot I’m already running the latest version

https://s31.postimg.org/uqaho8t4r/Untitled1.png
Can you confirm kb2872339 is infact installed? If it is, can you compare the detections in the apm to your system and post your findings. Please see, after updating to 6.2.6, if AP shows kb2872339 in Blue.
As you can see from this screen shot when I run the patch installer manually windows tells me it’s installed already however the same patch is still black in the autopatcher interface so for what ever reason autopatcher isn’t detecting that its already installed.

https://s32.postimg.org/yqv09sbkl/Untitled2.png
In case you were unaware (I don't know what releases you've downloaded), there's a .NET Framework x86 release, and the Common release should have the MSRT KB890830 tool you want.
Ahh I only downloaded Autopatcher for Windows 7 sp1 (x86) didn’t realise that the updates for .NET Framework where under a separate release I though that the .NET Framework x86 release simply downloaded the redistributable for the different versions of .NET Framework.
AP does - see the top lines of the ap.log file but, this isn't always the only detail that matters with updates. There are, however, ways to make the apm(s) more precise but to do so requires so many variables. AP hopes that users will also be as proactive as possible, and know that certain updates don't apply to their system -- maybe the update targets the OS but also a software version that the user isn't running.

Again, maybe better Titles & Descriptions would help but users would need to actually highlight and read each update's info and know they can uncheck or leave unchecked certain updates.

I'm not directing this to you, this is just an observation of the difficulty with dealing with a user base whose systems are vast and unique. AP is not for the hands-off user, these users need to use MU/WU to patch their systems.
Ahh right I had though that such a thing would be relatively straightforward but obviously its not quiet so simple, as a possible alternative would it be possible to have autopatcher simply inform the user when a patch can’t be installer?

Because when you run the patch manually it tells you when it can’t install the patch and why it can’t install it aka the patch is not applicable for your system or the patch is already installed or there was some sort of error, so I’m wondering if it would be possible for autopatcher to capture and display that feed back to the inform the user if/when there is a problem.
parkd1

Post by parkd1 »

Bethrezen wrote:Ahh right I had though that such a thing would be relatively straightforward but obviously its not quiet so simple, as a possible alternative would it be possible to have autopatcher simply inform the user when a patch can’t be installer?

Because when you run the patch manually it tells you when it can’t install the patch and why it can’t install it aka the patch is not applicable for your system or the patch is already installed or there was some sort of error, so I’m wondering if it would be possible for autopatcher to capture and display that feed back to the inform the user if/when there is a problem.
This would be very useful if it can be done.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

Bethrezen wrote:
As you can see from this screen shot when I run the patch installer manually windows tells me it’s installed already however the same patch is still black in the autopatcher interface so for what ever reason autopatcher isn’t detecting that its already installed.
I understand kb2872339 is already installed on your system. I had asked for a simple confirmation - a double-check. Since kb2872339 is still black in AP it's a detection issue most likely. I was hoping you would open kb2872339...apm, take a look at the detections (registry, file, etc) and compare them with your system. Oh well. I'm sure someone can offer more clarity to help get this resolved. Sorry for the confusion, CJ punts to the other team :)
Bethrezen

Post by Bethrezen »

I understand kb2872339 is already installed on your system. I had asked for a simple confirmation - a double-check. Since kb2872339 is still black in AP it's a detection issue most likely. I was hoping you would open kb2872339...apm, take a look at the detections (registry, file, etc) and compare them with your system. Oh well. I'm sure someone can offer more clarity to help get this resolved. Sorry for the confusion, CJ punts to the other team :)
hi

its not a problem it's just that
can you compare the detections in the apm to your system
isn't really clear enough, what is it you want me to do, some clear instructions would be helpful.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@Bethrezen --- what ChrisJ asked is to check the detections for that particular update. A simple way to do so:

Part A::

1/. Locate and open the apm module concerned, using a text editor, preferred is Notepad++ but wordpad will suffice. Notepad is no good as the contents are truncated and takes some practice to decipher.

2./ Download regscanner from here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.zip. If using a 64 bit edition then you need to download from here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner-x64.zip

3/. Extract zip to a suitable location, and execute the program. Enter the KB number in the "Find String" space and click scan. The program will search for all instances of the KB number.

4./Resize (stretch) the results window so that you are able to read the results. Locate the detection string that is in the apm module. Right click and open in regedit.

5/. In the right pane will be displayed the relevant data, check to match all entries against those in the apm module. Report any discrepancies...

Part B::

1/. This requires the Seach function in Windows Explorer.

2/. Open Windows Explorer, Expand the Windows directory, locate and expand System32, and locate catroot (expand catroot and click on {F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE})
The full file path is c:\Windows\System32\catroot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}

3/. Using the search box on the top right hand side of Explorer enter the KB, and wait for results. Once the entries have been located the results will be displayed. Compare the entries from the system against that in the apm module.
Report any discrepancies

Hope this is simple enough to follow...
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Another thing to note is the so called missing updates from autopatcher is the result of them being superseded by other updates. It appears that MS still retains then as valid updates. You could create your own custom additions to the Windows Seven release, all you require is the installer file and a apm module. Just remember that any thing added to an OFFICIAL release will change the status.

A note: I personally would NOT include the superseded updates as the release is already started becoming bloated( making it further bloated would make it harder to maintain)
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

Bethrezen wrote:isn't really clear enough, what is it you want me to do, some clear instructions would be helpful.
I chuckle, somewhat, at this because I was under the impression I bloviate too much with my attempts to help... generally my posts are met with silence, was I helpful or not - who knows=waste of my time. Now I get rebuked for being unclear, what amounts to being unhelpful. I'm reminded why I like to stay on the down-low in forums -- to avoid being annoyed by the damned if you do--damned if you don't feedback. I respectfully ask to be put back to general member status so I can come and go as I please.