Avoiding Telemetry and spying

Windows 7 Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
markd89

Avoiding Telemetry and spying

Post by markd89 »

Hi,

I've been using Windows Update to update my PC, then using scripts to block and uninstall GWX, telemetry and the like. WIth the changes to Windows Update -- the bundling of updates, I'm thinking that Autopatcher may be a better way forward. I turned off Windows Update about a month ago in preparation and to avoid the first bundle.

What do I need to do to make sure I only get legit security updates and no telemetry stuff going forward?

Thanks much,

Mark
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Avoiding Telemetry and spying

Post by TheAPGuy »

Well you can find out which updates will contain those items and then black list them(Right click on the offending update and you will see what to do) when you find the KB numbers on the AP update list. AP will no longer try to install that update unlike windows who will keep trying to get you to install it. All it takes is a little bit of vigilance once a month by reading what updates came out on the windows update list.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Avoiding Telemetry and spying

Post by Whatacrock »

Mark -- usually the Telemetry and other services which report back to MS are usually Non Security Updates, the problem will become an issue with these new RollUp Updates.
You will need to check carefully the Knowledge Base article on the rollup to find which packages it updates.
Why not disable the services that you do NOT require. If you wish to take this path then search the internet as there are many sites that offer the information required.
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"