No autoptacher anymore?

Windows 7 Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
JanErik

No autoptacher anymore?

Post by JanErik »

I wonder why there are no updates since July 2017?
ChrisJ

Re: No autoptacher anymore?

Post by ChrisJ »

I don't think AP is dead just yet, but might be close, not sure ATM.

Wac disappeared and hasn't responded to PMs or emails IIRC... hopefully he's OK. He was the lone release(s) maintainer so that is part of the problem. Also, you may have noticed the big rollups rather than individual updates from MS, this too threw a monkey wrench into the mix.

If you drop by the Windows 10 forum or do a search there has been some conversation about the various hurdles... there's some progress on AP as far as I understand but overall it very well could be time to recognize AP may not be as necessary as it used to be. I would be disappointed but I think I would understand if the project folded, it has always been a shame so very few people step up to help -- atleast in the interim.

I do believe there are some beta scripts but not sure if they are ready for prime time, and I think TAPG has a new tool that will assist users in creating their own scripts - fingers crossed.

I've grown so tired of MS and the way they do updates anymore I've finally started testing Linux and have been very happy with Mint 18.2, works and does everything I need it to do on my other machine, had no issue with finding software either. I tried but can't seem to get a Windows 8.1 Home (core) x64 iso that will accept my product key, MS's media creation tool nor the Heidoc tool downloaded the correct iso and my key is in the bios and isn't entered at installation -- this is what moved me to finally really test drive Linux Mint otherwise I would be more than happy with 8.1 Home x64 but I simply can't find the version that came with my Lenovo laptop... anyway :)

Just my $.02
srialmaster

Post by srialmaster »

I was kinda wondering the same thing. I have used Autopatcher for XP, Win 7 and tried to help test it for 10. Alas, I guess the devs have moved on to bigger and better things. RIP Autopatcher.
LittlBUGer

Post by LittlBUGer »

Well, though I didn't want to as I prefer AutoPatcher, I've unfortunately had to move to WSUSOffline for a way to do offline Windows (and Office) updates. It tends to be far larger as far as storage and doesn't have a nice GUI, but seems to work well enough. I hope there is a comeback for AutoPatcher, but either way, it had a really good run. :)
Phenix

Post by Phenix »

Yep. I've used AutoPatcher for years and I must say it was quite a job with respect to the devs/maintainer keeping up with the various OS/applications and updates. Nonetheless, when we see the trends nowadays with Win 10 and the likes, it seems to be quite a hassle to keep up with all the releases and the way M$ goes with the updates.
As far as WSUS is concerned, it's being used lately at my workplace. We ran into the trouble of what seems to be WSUS downloading certain updates over and over again. Since our ISP imposes a FUP on the internet connection, last month the WSUS had eaten up the whole 300GB quota during the first week-end and on Monday the internet speed was down to a crawl for the rest of the month. Anyway, my 2 cents on the matter and hoping for some brighter future for AutoPatcher and us all.