Question for vista users

older-than-dirt

Re: Question for vista users

Post by older-than-dirt »

older-than-dirt wrote:
TheAPGuy wrote:wait... I thought it was possible to force load many vista drivers on win7 as long as the driver was 32bit and the win7 was 32bit.
The problem isn't that I can't get them to install under win7/32, the problem is that they don't work after they're installed. In particular the internal speakers don't work (headphone works fine). Something to do with Panasonic's external button controls.. Some machines it works, other's (same mark model) don't. I happen to have one that doesn't and end up going back to Vista. Sound output is critical for the app that runs on it. (SDR)
Not that anyone should probably care too much, but I was finally able to upgrade my lone, last machine from Vista. So I no longer need Vista updates. Just an FYI.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Thanks for the notification older-than-dirt

Since that you were the last to post on using Windows Vista, Will now make a FINAL CALL to anyone still requiring Windows Vista/Server 2008 x86 to be updated in the future. Speak now or this release will prematurely retired from Autopatcher. October 2015 updates will be applied but no-one responds then that will become the LAST UPDATE of Vista
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
roger_m@fastmail.fm

Post by roger_m@fastmail.fm »

My post may be too late. But anyway, I'm posting as I've got a Vista 64 bit installer, which has been stuck on checking for updates for over two hours now. It's not even the inital check for updates. I installed all available updates (at the time) two months ago. I still use Vista 64 bit (and sometimes 32 bit) on some older computers. I have no reason to upate to a newer version of Windows as it seems pretty pointless as Vista is an excellent OS (if you have both service packs installed, in my opinion Windows 7 is only slighlty better), and it will cost money to upgrade.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@roger_m@fastmail.fm --- you are in fact too late, you can still download the Vista x86 release from the main list. There has been NO support for Vista x64 in quite a log time so your only option is to use Windows Update.
It appears that Vista and Seven have issues with using Windows Update, I have 2 notebooks and the 2nd one, a netbook, is a hit and miss affair with WU so use autopatcher to update.
erpster3

Post by erpster3 »

Whatacrock wrote:@roger_m@fastmail.fm --- you are in fact too late, you can still download the Vista x86 release from the main list. There has been NO support for Vista x64 in quite a log time so your only option is to use Windows Update.
It appears that Vista and Seven have issues with using Windows Update, I have 2 notebooks and the 2nd one, a netbook, is a hit and miss affair with WU so use autopatcher to update.
Looks like I'm late to the party as well for vista x64 as I use that specific OS on an HP A6230N desktop PC that I repaired a few months ago.

As for the Windows Update issues for Vista & Win7, manually download & install the KB3145739 gdiplus.dll + win32k.sys security update and reboot. Windows Update shouldn't take too long to check for updates with KB3145739/MS16-039 installed.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

As previously posted Vista x64 has NOT been supported by Autopatcher in quite some time (way before I became involved with the project)
erpster3

Post by erpster3 »

erpster3 wrote: As for the Windows Update issues for Vista & Win7, manually download & install the KB3145739 gdiplus.dll + win32k.sys security update and reboot. Windows Update shouldn't take too long to check for updates with KB3145739/MS16-039 installed.
As of May 10, the KB3145739 security update no longer fixes the Windows Update "long time" search problem so the issues have come back. Therefore install the newest WIN32K.SYS security update - KB3153199 (MS16-062). Note that KB3153199 does NOT supersede/replace KB3145739 but does supersede/replace KB3139852. It is imperative that Vista & Win7 users manually download & install the newest win32k.sys security update from KB3153199 to resolve the Windows Update issues.
erpster3

Post by erpster3 »

The KB3153199 update for Vista/Win7 no longer fixes the Windows Update search/scan problem as of June 14. Download & install the KB3161664 (MS16-073) win32k.sys security update instead, which will temporarily cure the problem from June 14 to July 11. Note that KB3161664 supersedes/replaces KB3153199 so just install the newest win32k.sys update.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

The KB3153199 update for Vista/Win7 no longer fixes the Windows Update search/scan problem as of June 14. Download & install the KB3161664 (MS16-073) win32k.sys security update instead, which will temporarily cure the problem from June 14 to July 11. Note that KB3161664 supersedes/replaces KB3153199 so just install the newest win32k.sys update.
KB3153199 was removed and KB3161664 was added on 06-15-2016, for Windows 7 & 8.1 (x64 & x86) :)
louisli

Post by louisli »

TheAPGuy wrote:Does anyone still use vista when there is windows 7? It may be a waste of WAC's time if no one uses it. I give it a month for someone to post in here before we drop vista from the support list.
Thank you for your efforts, I just found this tool as I was stuck with the endless "searching for updates" on Windows update. We still got some Dell desktops that comes with Vista, due to license problems we cannot update it further. Hope this tool still support Vista.