Unable to get updates or install service packs after Vista system recovery

SVJeff

Unable to get updates or install service packs after Vista system recovery

Post by SVJeff »

I'm trying to help a friend on a fixed income whose Compaq Presario C700 laptop was seriously infected. I was able to clean it enough to make recovery discs from the factory recovery partition. I then put a new hard drive in and recovered the system using those discs. After the recovery finished, it boots to Vista Home Premium 32-bit with no service packs. I've tried using Windows Update and it immediately errors out. I have the 32-bit SP1 & SP2 on a CD and neither of them will run.

I've successfully used AutoPatcher recently to get beyond Windows Update hangs in Windows 7 and was hoping I could use it here. Am I correct in understanding that the Vista download only covers updates since SP2? If so, is there any way to get an offline way to update Vista 'manually' to SP1, then SP2, then get it current?

I'm guessing that this must have happened to others - the inability to update or patch a 'vintage' Vista reinstall and was hoping to find a solution but all my searches have given me nothing that will work. Does anyone have any pointers? Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Unable to get updates or install service packs after Vista system recovery

Post by Whatacrock »

This has been one of the problems with Vista ever since the service packs were released. You won't be able to download from MS as the links are gone.

Managed to fine a site with working links:

http://windows-vista-service-pack-1-sp- ... m/download
use the alternate download button

http://windows-vista-service-pack-2.en. ... m/download
use the alternate download button

And yes the Vista release for autopatcher only works correctly on SP2, there may be others that are able to offer better advice.
BTW if you download the Service Packs and burn to disc, make 2 copies (one to work with , the other as a backup for future use)

:) :)
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
SVJeff

Post by SVJeff »

That's exactly what I've done - as I mentioned in the OP, I have SP1 & SP2 on a CD but neither of them will run after a reinstall, neither will WU. I was hoping someone might see this who has an earlier/updated version of AP that I could get a copy of. As it stands, I've done 6-8 fresh installs on a blank hard drive using 4 or 5 different sources and I can't get Vista to run any updates whatsoever on any of them.

I'm going to admit defeat on this project. I have a friend who works on new stuff and he's going to make her laptop a Win7 machine and I'll just install her programs and move her data over to that.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

wait... so the SP1 cd will not install on your SP0 fresh install nothing else done to it vista?
SVJeff

Post by SVJeff »

TheAPGuy wrote:so the SP1 cd will not install on your SP0 fresh install nothing else done to it vista?
Correct. I install Vista either from the recovery partition or recovery discs. That puts it back to SP0 from the factory. Then I put in the CD that I use anytime I refurbish a Vista system that's below SP2. Trying to run SP1 from there gives me an error message. Following that ancient link - and searching for solutions using that info - leads me to solutions that have not worked. If I try to go to SP2 directly, I get a message that I must have SP1 installed first.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

hmm strange... I was under the impression that SP2 contained all of SP1 and that was the case with all service packs. I have a Vista computer here I am working on... I just returned it to factory default 2 days ago. I will see if I can get a SP on it. If I can get it working (its overheating for some reason.)
erpster3

Post by erpster3 »

Google search for this ISO DVD image labeled "en_windows_vista_with_sp2_x86_dvd_342266.iso"
It was available only to MSDN/TechNet subscribers but it contains all the editions of Windows Vista x86/32bit with both SP1 & SP2 already integrated or "slipstreamed". Create a DVD with that ISO image and re-install/repair any existing Vista installation with that DVD, which I did one time on my mom's Dell Inspiron e1405 laptop that originally came with Vista RTM 32bit Home Basic edition.

And consider using WSUS Offline Update to install all the post-SP2 updates for Vista as the Windows Update agent or Windows Update client for Vista is so outdated and takes MANY HOURS to search for Vista updates.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@TheAPGuy --- only Windows XP and previous versions used that technology, Vista was the turnaround point.
Installing Vista from scratch with no service packs is a big painful and time consuming effort.
Install Original OS, reboot
Install Service Pack 1, reboot
Install Service Pack 2, reboot
Install Updates and any third party softwares

An installation disc containing the OS and Service Pack 2 shortens time used by a considerable amount.
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

ahhh. I was not aware... I usually keep a slipstreamed disk around for reinstall so I didn't have to go through the grinder.
erpster3

Post by erpster3 »

The installation DVD ISO image I mentioned earlier contains starter, home basic, home premium, business & ultimate editions of Vista; all at SP2 level.
The product key being entered at setup will determine what edition gets installed.

Visit this site on how to speed up Windows Update scans on Windows Vista SP2 (involves installing latest win32k.sys security update):
http://wu.krelay.de/en/