vista 2016

dinxe

vista 2016

Post by dinxe »

autopatcher seems to get most of the 350+mb of vista files but now cannot verify them so dies... :( i have tried many times. any hope of success as now my windows updater also won't work?
thanx.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: vista 2016

Post by Whatacrock »

The total release for Windows Vista is 382 Mb.

Have you tried running autopatcher as an administrator ?? I have had occasions when this cures the issue..

Turn off Windows Update before running Autopatcher, this should help greatly

And report the outcome so others may know what works and what doesn't
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
dinxe

Post by dinxe »

still no luck.. i tried your sweeper which said my vista sp2 wasn't ok - which is not true as i have been running windows update successfully for years now. i think i must reformat again soon.. would autopatcher be able to somehow store updates on d drive for me?
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

dinxe wrote:still no luck.. i tried your sweeper which said my vista sp2 wasn't ok - which is not true as i have been running windows update successfully for years now. i think i must reformat again soon.. would autopatcher be able to somehow store updates on d drive for me?
Hi dinxe :)

You may not fully understand Sweeper's purpose...

Sweeper (when run) scans your AutoPatcher releases to confirm their complete, all files are present and verified, according to the rti file downloaded as part of the script, by calculating hash & size -- Sweeper will let you know if you have missing, failing, or extra files, and will want to delete the extras or failed (corrupt) files if they exist in your \AutoPatcher folder -- see the Sweeper log. A user would then need to run AP a second time to try and grab the remaining files if possible to complete the download and make the script official. It happens that scripts need editing if files change or links become dead -- stuff happens :D

This has nothing to do with Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or how many updates you've installed -- that's not Sweeper's concern.

Now, (and a different topic, just some FYI), the entries (detections) in the apm files may need editing so they reliably detect updates that are present on a system, regardless how they were installed -- WU, MU, AutoPatcher -- an update may remain black (doesn't always mean it's not installed) when viewed in the AutoPatcher GUI after installation, so an edit is necessary to properly detect the update!

The purpose of AutoPatcher has always been to be a portable, reusable set of updates, providing most (but not every update needed in all cases), that can get a system up-to-date -- after a fresh OS install, a running system, or a system turned off for a period of time. It's best to run AP locally to download for the first time, or to update existing releases in your \AP folder, and IMO to install updates. The project can be transported via CD, DVD, flash... then copied to the user's local drive, and run AP from there.

HTH :)
dinxe

Post by dinxe »

thanks so much for all the info! your help much appreciated.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

dinxe wrote: thanks so much for all the info! your help much appreciated.
I'm glad to be of service, anytime.

NOTE: My detailed diatribes are always intended as reference material for all users that read the forums, to take in small bites, not all at once! Hopefully copied to an AP tips notebook for future reference, assuming the info is worthy. I'm unable to post in less than 10,000 characters at a time, I'm not sure why :)

I'll put my suggestions in Spoiler to keep the page a little easier to navigate :?
► Show Spoiler
Remember, these are my approaches, deviate as you see fit, as long as we arrive at the same destination. I'm a user like yourself.