"Not verified"

Extra includes several programs. Prominent ones are Shockwave, Flashplayer, Silverlight(MS IE addon), Some XP Powertoys, and TweakUI
JanErik

"Not verified"

Post by JanErik »

Do you ever TEST the update files after adding new updates?
It happens rarely - but rarely is still too often! - that I get the message "...not verified"
It just happened with "Extras"!
PLEASE TEST BEFORE RELEASING!!
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: "Not verified"

Post by Whatacrock »

Firstly, I download the releases in 3 different locations, that is my main drive, a external drive and at least one virtual drive or more. In each instance the new updates are validated against the information that is inputted, It may be by installing the update or verifying the data from updates from Windows Update. What else do you require of me to do.....

As far as Extras is concerned, downloaded the 3 Flash Players and noticed that the Active X (IE) version is greater than what is in the releases. I also checked the digital signature and this is dated January 1 2016. I therefore will be updating the Extras once again to reflect this.

Final note: Feel free at any time and volunteer to maintain a release, will gladly hand it over.
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Adobe Flash Player for Active X updated to version 20.0.0.270 (January 1 2016).

An article which explains why....
Microsoft Flash Player Patch KB3132372 Causing App Issues on Windows 10

Adobe rolled out an out-of-band patch in late December to fix security flaws in Flash Player and because Microsoft integrated it into its own browsers, the company had to deliver the same fix via Windows Update for all its users. Including those running Windows 10, that is.

It turns out, however, that the patch the company released to Windows 10 users, labeled as KB3132372, is actually causing issues on these computers.

Some apps are no longer launching after installing this update, while others crash all of a sudden, users report. For the moment, no workaround is available, so the only option is to completely remove KB3132372 from your Windows 10 computer.
Impacted software

At this point, HP printer software, IncrediMail, and a number of online banking apps are impacted by the issues, but the list could expand as more users install the patch.

Windows 10 users experiencing such problems should remember that the operating system might attempt to re-install the update after you remove it, so hiding it completely until a fix is provided could be the better solution.

“Same problem. Removed the update yesterday and HP solution center worked ok. Overnight, Windows 10 reinstalled the update and HP solution center failed. Removed update again and HP Solution Center worked again. This needs to be fixed,” one HP customer whose computer was hit by the aforementioned problems explained in a post on the company's forums.

If you're not using Internet Explorer or Edge to browse the web, removing and hiding the update shouldn't create any security risk for your computer. But, on the other hand, if you use any of these two apps as your daily browser, it's better to stay away from Flash content coming from unknown sources or that you come across on the web and looks suspicious, at least until Microsoft provides a working patch.

We've also contacted Microsoft to find out if the company is aware of the problem and will update the article when an answer is provided.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsof ... 8319.shtml
This new update may also affect Windows 7 and 8.1
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
JanErik

Post by JanErik »

Well, I suppose that the straightforward test would be to attempt to update on a separate computer...
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I am sure he does something similar using his VM's
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

I'm sorry but this post is very unfair IMO, and lacks a bit of appreciation, possible the OP is NOT the target audience of the project if minor issues are bothersome. Important to mention, letting the devs know a script (or software) is failing is welcome, in fact a necessary component to the project's success. I would contend we the users are the final testers of the scripts. We can't expect the devs to download a script that worked a few days ago - in its entirety, over and over. Practically speaking, when we download a script we are the confirmation a script is "still" downloading completely. If it fails a file or two we post the log file and the problem is fixed, this is our contribution.

AutoPatcher was designed as an offline portable set of updates that will get a fresh OS install "NEARLY" up-to-date including many EXTRAS, it isn't expected to get every system fully updated on-the-fly, this would be impossible. The project members dedicate inordinate amounts of free time tweaking the scripts... and the software, as MS OSes keep moving forward. There will always be some niggle needed to get an OS fully patched, and the AP scripts may (will) be incomplete (or fail on some updates) but are a hell of a lot better (once downloaded) than downloading every update needed (GB's of data) on an insecure system none-the-less.

-> AutoPatcher cannot and is not meant to function like Automatic Updates (every update on-the-fly), this has been a difficult point for some users to appreciate about the project. There will always be a bit of user intervention to get their specific system road-ready, safe for internet cruising, but the head start you get with AP is tremendous.

Also, the scripts are tested. Reality is, it may take only a day or two before a file is superceeded. If I wait 3, 4, or so days to grab the latest script there will most likely be failure. It seems all we do now is update - numerous times a week. I just went thru this with a freeware program, 5 updates in about 8 days, 50+ MBs each time for me - on dialup. Why complain, instead, I'm thankful the devs keep plugging holes in an already great piece of free software.

My point, some users, including the OP (IMO), may be better served simply utilizing the "automatic update" feature of their preferred software rather than using AP if failure irritates them, even though rare. In fact it is often (too often) links die or files get superceeded, and is not the fault of AutoPatcher, rather the software developers trying to combat the onslaught of daily threats, the result, program version numbers have little time to grow old, they instead change. I hate it as much as the next guy but we should expect it.
JanErik

Post by JanErik »

OK. See your point. Sorry. Apologize.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

JanErik wrote:OK. See your point. Sorry. Apologize.
No need to apologize, I understand where you're coming from. I should also apologize if it seemed I was attacking you personally. My aim was to try and spell out the differences between AutoPatcher's approach functioning in a more analog, less SMART fashion (more user intervention), whereas MU/WU is more intuitive, maybe more SMART (less user intervention). Both approaches to system patching have tradeoffs, and MU/WU is far from error free despite being somewhat hands free.

So much of the project is accomplished by hand, it appears literally only 4 hands, APGuy & Wac. We used to have 10 or 20 people contributing, not so anymore.

AutoPatcher is one of the best tools for those that build or service systems and need a substantial set of necessary files to get an OS ready before it hits the internet, not to mention being portable, reusable, comprehensive, and customizable.

Anyway, here's to 2016 :ugeek: