Apup 1.4.43 is being considered as Malware-Gen by Avast Home

Announcements that may happen from time to time.
Rambao-X

Apup 1.4.43 is being considered as Malware-Gen by Avast Home

Post by Rambao-X »

Dears,

Apup 1.4.43 is being considered as Malware-Gen by Avast Home. I didn't test with other anti-virus software, but I'd like to advise the developers that this is happening. Perhaps it is a false positive detection, but anyway it would be nice if you guys check your files for infections. This can happen even in the best families.

Best regards,

Peter :D
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Apup 1.4.43 is being considered as Malware-Gen by Avast

Post by TheAPGuy »

well hmm.. will look into it.

There does seem to be a few false positives. :( will look into why. I don't seem to have an infection since there is nothing else I upload for a scan showing as positive except both apup and AP show false positives. :(

So I made the appropriate submits to a few sites to have the file re-examined and declared false positive. On a side note... they all declare every single version of APUP infected with different issues.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

huh... no response as of yet.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

So I am still waiting for word from the few sites I submitted too. damn.. this is a stupid long wait time.

ohh avast no longer shows positive. Trend and dr web still do though although, they are only marked as suspicious not for sure infections.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

So I got email today.
"Your request has been analyzed. It was a false alarm. The error was fixed." <-- Dr. Web

Now I am just still waiting for Trend Micro to respond.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

I'm not sure what's involved in providing a digital signature, but it may be helpful - as far as I could tell AP has none.

I watched a malware seminar with Mark Russinovich, the dev of the sysinternals tools, he mentioned that any exe without a digital signature should be considered suspicious, most likely malware.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Hmm... yes that does seem like the thing to go for. VB Express 2008 and up appear to provide self signing although I have not looked into them. I was going to look into it once I got it moved fully over to .NET eventually. I will probably do it much sooner now though.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

TheAPGuy wrote:VB Express 2008 and up appear to provide self signing although I have not looked into them.
I have wondered how robust an application could be developed using an express edition, what the major limitations are -> at compilation, available tools, some sort of time limit, # of frames, etc.