Autopatcher v6 Blog

In this area, you will find test programs and scripts.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Autopatcher v6 Blog

Post by TheAPGuy »

Deal breaker for you? I plan to eventually finish the C++ code so then the .NET need will go away at that time.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

ViroMan wrote:Deal breaker for you?
I hope not, I'll have to wait and see what the requirements are when v6 is finally done. I won't be too excited if it's .Net 3.5 :!:
ViroMan wrote:I plan to eventually finish the C++ code so then the .NET need will go away at that time.
Curious, is AP your only coding project or do you have other projects, free or for profit, you allocate time for as well :?:
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

As far as programming, AP is the only project. I do however have other projects not programming related that I do when I get home. I drive an hour and a half a day just to get to work so that is 3 hours on top of work that are used in my day. Then what ever is left provided I didn't do overtime, which is like a 40% chance per day, then I pay attention to side projects. AP, house, landscape around house, car (needs serious love), and relaxing (omg this so much work kills me physically as well as mentally)

I used to do some side projects for a game but, stopped that since I picked this up.

anyways I hope not to need more then .NET 2.0 I should be able to keep requirements down.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

ViroMan wrote:As far as programming, AP is the only project. I do however have other projects not programming related that I do when I get home. I drive an hour and a half a day just to get to work so that is 3 hours on top of work that are used in my day. Then what ever is left provided I didn't do overtime, which is like a 40% chance per day, then I pay attention to side projects. AP, house, landscape around house, car (needs serious love), and relaxing (omg this so much work kills me physically as well as mentally)

I used to do some side projects for a game but, stopped that since I picked this up.

anyways I hope not to need more then .NET 2.0 I should be able to keep requirements down.
Yeah, it's annoying when life's obligations get in the way of our fun time :cry: What's worse, as life moves on we tend to have more time and less energy :?

Fingers crossed for .NET 2.0 :D
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Well the IDE is set for .NET 2.0 so it "shouldn't" let me ask for things beyond its ability.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

So things are progressing... Still a few bugs to work out but, got past the major ones. They are still show stoppers but, [strike]I don't have to scratch my head for hours trying to figure these out[/strike].

edit: so ya... had to make a few new function to replace old ones that used methods no longer supported. Probably will have to make more.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

So I got the decryption working since the conversion, however curl doesn't want to work quite right. I see that the commands are getting passed to curl correctly and I see that curl is downloading, however it doesn't save the files it downloads and it doesn't throw an error. huh.

I might finally dump curl in favor of using built in IE functionality now that it should be easier to call it up.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

So yep. Going to say "screw it" to using curl. It will be better this way anyways. I can eventually add multi downloads in "easy" with a few extra lines of code.

also... a quick funny fun fact. AP used to be 961KB, atm its 604KB since going to .NET.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

ViroMan wrote:also... a quick funny fun fact. AP used to be 961KB, atm its 604KB since going to .NET.
Wow, a reduction of 350+ KB, that's efficiency & optimization all in one.

No compromise in AP speed or functionality? Did you have to scrap any tasks (for now) whose code may make it back in?

Wonderin' - how many lines of code before and after, if you know?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Well I did dump a a few modules and added a few new ones. I probably only removed about 5k of code and added 2k in new code. I also externalize 4k in code into a DLL since it was impossible to convert it to VB.NET which compiles into a 24K DLL.

Speed seems a little slow however all the optimization settings are off right now. So its still possible to shrink down even more and still go faster.