Windows 10 Updates

TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windows 10 Updates

Post by TheAPGuy »

The Crow has graciously spent his time to create windows 10 scripts. They can be used by directing AP to http://www.autopatcher.net/releases/Win10Releases.list
Go into options and change the URL to http://www.autopatcher.net/releases/Win10Releases.list OR if you have the version that has a list of URLs... right click and click on the list (in options) and click add URL to add this URL to your list.
Swarvey

Re: Windows 10 Updates

Post by Swarvey »

I've been studying up a little, need more to read regarding creating scripts / modules. I'm no programmer, but being an avid AP fan and a Windows 10 Pro x64 owner, I'll be glad to help out with creating scripts / modules.

I can make an arduino do magical things, but creating scripts and modules still eludes me. Might pop over to the wiki and see what I can find.

*edit* I did find one thing that may be a problem though, for some reason my W10 machine can't get into the MS update catalogue. Can't use Firefox, can't even find IE, tried Edge but it still tells me I need the latest IE....
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

The MS Security Bulletins are a good place to start - has info for the Bulletin ID, KB # with summary, severity rating, affected software...

Here's Jan 2016 - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... y/ms16-Jan
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Wait... you can't use firefox?
mc_hild

Post by mc_hild »

I'd like to give it a shot. I've looked through the downloaded autopatcher for an example, but can't find anything.

can you provide me something to get started with??
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

You would like to create the windows 10 script?

This is an example script. --> http://www.autopatcher.net/Apup_Documen ... 404.script
Read these instructions starting from section 5 and on. -> http://www.autopatcher.net/Apup_Documen ... _docs.html

Don't get daunted by reading them and thinking you can't do it. Really, anyone can. You don't need to be a programmer or even smart to do this. You just need the drive to do boring things that help yourself and others save time. With a little practice it becomes quite easy.

Start of by creating a small script with maybe two updates in it. Show it off here and we can correct you IF you got anything wrong.
srialmaster

Post by srialmaster »

I would help, but my main computer's HDD just died and I am waiting for the new HDD to arrive to the military post office. However, I could be willing to donate a CD key for you and you could use a virtual box to install Windows 10 if you're not wanting to upgrade WhatACrock/TheAPGuy. I have a spare CD key for Windows 10 education edition 32/64. This is basically the same as the professional edition. I also have 3x Windows 7 Pro x64 keys I could give you to upgrade to 10 pro x64 as well.
fragXpert

Post by fragXpert »

Guys, I don't have any Windows 10 machines yet to work with, but I have been reading about the new OS for a while, and what I've learned about updates so far is the following (and please correct me if I got it wrong):
- Windows 10 updates are cumulative, which means there's always only one current (and large) KB update required to patch Windows 10 (at the moment it's the KB3140742 update for the current Windows 10 build 10586)
- apart from this cumulative update, there's only one more critical update of interest: the Adobe Flash Player KB Update (currently the KB3135782)
So, my question is: do we really need an AutoPatcher for Windows 10? Or should we open a new thread where news, descriptions and download links could be shared about these Windows 10 updates?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Anyone else know if this cumulative update thing is true? That could make keeping this script up to date rather simple. Anyways I would guess a script for Win 10 would still be needed as AP is not aimed directly at keeping you up to date so mach as letting you have all the downloads in an offline state. This is rather essential for peace of mind since there are a ton of bugs in all versions of windows that allow a person to force a computer to run something if it is not patched. I can't stress enough that new installs of an OS should be updated offline if possible. Sure its not convenient but, it gives me and others peace of mind.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

The majority of updates for Windows 10 are Cumulative or Dynamic, noticed this with listings on several web pages that I use to gather data for updating the releases. As per most updates each revision is usually designated a new KB number, which is rather easy to edit the apm modules. Not looked any further than that as I have no desire to install Windows 10, hate the desktop and apps store crap, even went as far on the VM to completely reconfigure it to appear like Windows 7.
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"