application error

Requests for help go in here.
ccentral

Re: application error

Post by ccentral »

Sometime it sucks to be the "expert" on hand, doesn't it? Been there! LOL!
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

So after some testing it turns out using CRYPT_VERIFYCONTEXT is actually better. New releases will use this from now on. Good show mate.

PS forgot to mention... it bypasses the messed up guid issue as well.
ccentral

Post by ccentral »

I'm not sure if that's good news or bad - at least when Autopatcher failed, I knew there WAS a problem! :lol:

Out of curiosity, in what way is it better? I mean, other than the whole GUID issue, that is. Is there a performance increase, like the MSN article hinted at?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Well I could put it in a large loop to find out, however technically it should be faster. Now it won't run other functions to retrieve/create keys and creating other objects associated with said key.
I plan to make it even faster by retaining the same pass and using it over and over. Currently the function gets a pass uses it for a file then releases after the hash is done.
ccentral

Post by ccentral »

Very cool! Can't wait for the next build, even though it means I'll have to devise some other test to see if the GUID problem exists on a system. :D
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

well that was the first complaint I have had and its been using the the msapi for several versions now. Even before combining the apps in 6.0
ccentral

Post by ccentral »

I've encountered it a couple of times before, but always on systems that had other issues (e.g. malware). With those, I just went with the nuclear option (format and re-install). I didn't figure there was any point reporting it here, because it was obviously not an Autopatcher issue.

This was the first time I had the problem on a system where that was the ONLY problem, so I didn't want to go the format/re-install route if I didn't have to. Fortunately, I didn't have to. :D
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

new topic created and post moved to it.... http://autopatcher.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=848
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"