Big problems with Win 7 Ultimate x64

Requests for help go in here.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Big problems with Win 7 Ultimate x64

Post by TheAPGuy »

right click on a root folder, click property, then click security, Click advanced button, go to ownership, go to edit, click your name, put an checkmark in "replace owner on subcontents" and hit ok... depending on your HD speed it can take a while to remark all the files. You can not do this with root C it won't let you. You have to do it with each and every folder.
Galane

Post by Galane »

Problem solved! It apparently had to do with a corrupted install of Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86) that was copied over by PC Mover.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-upda ... ost2788537

After doing that, I decided to give Autopatcher another try and it works now. Pretty strange how this could be interfering with just Autopatcher's access to WMI.

Permissions issues, solved by a program called Permissions Time Machine. Aim it at the root of a drive and it will forcibly set the permissions on pretty much everything to the current user.

So hooray. The only gremlin left is figuring out why Windows Explorer came unpinned from the taskbar and why it's impossible to pin it back, but for now I can live with it, might just unpin everything because I never used Quick Launch on any other computer except this one with XP.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Well as I said... AP uses an undocumented way to contact WMI... It just works (for the most part).

The code basically turns WMI service into an object and pulls information out of it that way. The runtime you are talking about is another "window" into WMI service which was messed up apparently.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@PhilipOn -- Your request for help installing Windows 7 is NOT relevant to our particular forum, this is for autopatcher related issues.

Your best bet is to search the web for a forum more suited to your needs. With regards to installing on a SSD, I believe from my experiences, it is best to install the Operating System on a hard drive then using software migrate the Operating System to the SSD. This is then setup as your Primary Drive.
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

Whatacrock wrote:@PhilipOn -- Your request for help installing Windows 7 is NOT relevant to our particular forum, this is for autopatcher related issues.

Your best bet is to search the web for a forum more suited to your needs.
Windows Seven Forums is a good start :D The Installation & Setup threads specifically :idea:
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

If I see one more strange post i am going to remove him. He has NOT responded to my question and instead posts another post that looks off the wall as the other 2. Seems like a bot.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Just kick his ass to the kerb and be done with him. Be quick or I will !!!!
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

The member's posts seem to be stock footage, not authentic or relevant -> "thanks for the tip" in Windows XP -- what tip? -> "so far, no one answered my question" in Windows 8 -- what question? Only more questions with no follow up, add to this a link dropped in the sig, hmm :?:

+1 :arrow: spammer or bot, less likely an oblivious member. All 3 should be beaten to within an inch of their existence on the forum for wasting other member's time :) .
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

banned for not responding to my question about being a bot, and posts removed.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@Viroman --- Yippee :lol: :lol: