Division by zero

Requests for help go in here.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Division by zero

Post by TheAPGuy »

Well we could test this by using an apup to try and download at that speed. The common denominators are curl.exe and a few functions that are the same. If it works with older apup there is an issue with AP6 code somewhere. If it does not work, it is likely an issue with using curl or just using an external program at all for that speed.

My cable connection does 20Mbs too but, MS servers only seem to give at 1Mb.

By the way... what is "Branch Lan"? A quick search on google gives stuff like office lan. Are you talking about multiple sources of internet bridged? One of the places I worked had 2 ISDNs bridged to give faster network.

Last Version Of APUP
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

OK, I did a few tests at my local library using APUP 1443, and yes, seems the max download for me was ~1.2MBs, the average was ~900KBs. There were a few issues...

...APUP will load the list but once the script was selected APUP would stay put at the list screen with a flash every few seconds - clicking Next did nothing. After 2 or 3 minutes still nothing. Running APUP as admin allowed the program to move on as expected. Now, I can run APUP, AP 5756, 6132, etc just fine at home on my dialup without running as admin. I have no idea why it was necessary at the library but it was.

...APUP got confused and quit responding when encountering errors - missing files as an example. APUP would recover if you left it alone and would move on with the rest of the script but it did take about 20 seconds to do so. This happened at least 3 times with 8.1x64, as well XPx64. I tested 1 script at a time. Since both scripts had errors the "app has quit responding" error appeared and the little blue circle spun around numerous times. If left alone to recover APUP seemed to on its own.

When I go to the library again I'll test AP6132 or whatever version is out. Speaking of AP6132, there were a few things that caught my eye.

...Even though I have 2 releases that are unofficial, AP6132 shows as official - see image.
...I'm not sure why but you can't deselect a category or subcategory by clicking it's box, you need to right-click and select "unmark". I believe this is caused by having grayed out updates within a list of updates, this seems to disable deselcting the list. Selecting whole categories, and Selecting & deselcting one at a time works - just not deselcting whole categories.
► Show Spoiler
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I don't see anything right off the bat in the code that could cause the official unofficial yet. Will dig further tomorrow.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

well I will be buggered... I duno why I did it... but there is a few lines of code that force official status no matter what after checking the status.

While I was in there I discovered an issue with some external commands not running properly with my new way of calling them. Fixed. I don't think I would have found them till someone (WAC) complained about dos commands (copy, del, move) not running. :)

Should be ready for a new release sometime today.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

...for what its worth, I had some extra time at school on Thursday so I grabbed APUP 1443 to do more testing. I was on a 7x86 Pro box. I figured there'd be some issue seeing it was a school system - nothing at all. I downloaded 7x64, XPx86, and DirectX - smooth as silk. No issues, in fact, the download speed averaged ~4+ MB/s, with DirectX downloading @ 6+ MB/s. Everything downloaded official the first run. APUP didn't spit up the "not responding" message either. I will do some testing, time permitting, with AP 6x.

* Oh, that reminds me, it would be kinda nice to have the log contain info such as total amount downloaded, average & max download speed, etc.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

hmm... wonder if it has to do with different versions of curl... ChrisJ try doing it with a copy of the newer curl we use.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

TheAPGuy wrote:hmm... wonder if it has to do with different versions of curl... ChrisJ try doing it with a copy of the newer curl we use.
AFAICT, the version I see in APUP 1443 & AP 6132-6136 is curl 7.39, which is the version I used. Where is this newer version of which you speak :)
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

ohh hmm... your right. I thought apup was still using the previous version of curl that didn't support SSL