Trouble with Windows Update and Win 7 (x86)

Requests for help go in here.
trigger1937

Trouble with Windows Update and Win 7 (x86)

Post by trigger1937 »

I'm having problems trying to download and install the updates to win7 after SP1. As soon as i try to use Windows update the system goes to 100% usage caused by some "Service" and Win Update will run forever. I've tried Autopatcher on the laptop and it crashes with Permission error even though I have set DEP for that software. My question is,..Can I use my other systems that are fine and run Autopatcher on a Win 64 machine but specify x86 updates and once that file is downloaded,...copy the entire folder to a USB drive and try to to the update on the laptop.

The laptop functions fine via internet, wi-fi, and will upload or download any file type. I can restore the laptop to usable processor usage once I cancel the one "Service" that is eating up all the processor usage. The latest versio of AutoP 1.6.xx seems to crash the laptop but earlier versions did not. I've also tried WUSU and that was a joke,...it need 3 hours to download any set of Kxxxxx files. It was transfeer data at 200kb/s Please help
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with Windows Update and Win 7 (x86)

Post by TheAPGuy »

Its one of the primary functions of AP to download the updates to be used on another computer. Do it like you said download the script for the different os... copy the entire directory to CD/DVD/BR/USB and then copy from your media choice to target computer and run AP to install the updates.

btw there are about 3-4 updates that will make it seem like its frozen and not doing anything for hours for some laptops. You will still see hard drive activity once in a while. You just have to let it sit there sorry to say.
Pendraguin

Post by Pendraguin »

It's the nature of the beast that some of the KB updates just take ages where apparently nothing is happening. You can confirm this yourself (if you wish) by running some of them directly. Patience helps, especially if you have a lot of updates to install...
jnewman67

Post by jnewman67 »

Can you expand/list on the 3-4 patches that just take hours? I have a fresh build of Win7Home SP1 desktop, and downloaded all the related updates, and honestly, the first 4 updates AP ran for 12 hours. it would be nice to know which they are so they could be manually installed (which I'm guessing would be hours faster, as I've never seen an update other than XP SP3 that took longer than an hour to install).

Thanks.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

No sorry, no clue on my end I never bothered to write them down. I just saw they were sticking and knew it was the same update. I already know its not a problem with our program since I do remember trying the same update manually and it took ages. I did hear that its a possibly an problem with the update functions in windows itself though. Something like... update the update functions first and then the update will stop freezing for so long. I didn't bother looking into it though since I typically have a clients computer for the whole day plus. I just run the updates and go do something else.

If you want... you could piece together a batch file to install all the updates for you. make sure to use "call" before each update. That way it won't run the program and then start the next one's while it is still updating.

edit:
How to update windows 7 update agent: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
Sybex

Post by Sybex »

Hiya,

I also had problems, win 7 64bit, hung on first update (KB2479943) a 1.1 meg update for over an hour, i ended up aborting it, deselecting the offending update. When i re-ran it it finished in under 5 minutes

rgds
Syb
Sybex

Post by Sybex »

Hiya again,

Downloaded the update manually from Microsoft with its standalone installer (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=22606) and it just hangs saying "searching for updates on this computer"
KB2479943.gif
oops the x64 bit version was 2.3m not 1.1m that was the x86 ver.

rgds
Syb
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Was this the first update to install on a fresh OS? Wondering if maybe we should test forcing the update updater to install first.
liquidspark

Post by liquidspark »

I had a problem with the first KB not installing either, for Windows 7 SP 1 x64. I rebooted into Safe Mode with networking, ran Auto Patcher, which effectively skipped all the KB installations since the Installer Service does not work in Safe Mode, but installed the C++ Runtimes and everything else that does not require the Installer Service. Then I restarted into Normal Mode and ran Auto Patcher again, and it seems to be doing fine so far with installing the KB updates also, and it's still installing these Knowledge Base patches and other updates presently.
liquidspark

Post by liquidspark »

^ I'm doing it on a fresh installation of the OS, and would greatly appreciate having Auto Patcher do a forced update of itself first. Windows Update checks for updates to itself first also.