Will this kill autopatcher?

Requests for help go in here.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Will this kill autopatcher?

Post by TheAPGuy »

hmm... does the rollup update show in the installed list? If it does you can simply copy paste the detection for that update into the other updates OR... simply remove all the updates that this effects and give just the rollup. :) You could EVEN make it the next requirement for the script since its almost like a SP.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Refer to the following posts for additional information info --- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1346 & viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1347

Not had time as yet to test these out as currently have too many small jobs to complete and not enough hours in the day to complete them. Will get to them as soon as possible. Also have releases to update, these are the next cabs on the ranks, most likely to release them some time on Thursday.
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
just-starting

Post by just-starting »

I downloaded the post SP1 patch (unofficial sp2) for x64 Win7 and will test it in a VM later this week.
see http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/ ... 74&lang=en
in any browser.

The patch details specifically mentions that it replaces 123 patches but that seems
on the low side as my system currently (as of April) has 241 patches installed plus
15 .Net patches. But I have been unable to find a reliable way to determine what patches
are actually installed. I have 6 different scans of installed patches and none of them agree
with any other one. Only 'wmic qfe' agrees with what is displayed in the control panel.
Presumably the 241 on my system include superseded patches.

I am not looking forward to the proposed monthly non-security monthly roll up patch as
currently I can omit the telemetry and W10 nag patches but the single monthly patch
will make that impossible so I will probably only install security patches in future. I am
assuming that only the monthly patch will be available and not the individual patches.

I used the wua script from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx
to verify that the wsusscn2.cab only contains security patches and plus a few others but, currently at least, the
optional non-security patches are not included. It will be interesting to see what June update brings.

Also for anyone maintaining multiple versions and does not currently know about it, MS provides monthly isos
containing all security patches for all versions on one massive download - May's is 1.5gig. Refer to
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/913086
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

You need to be aware that this rollup does NOT contain any updates for Internet Explorer or dotNet as these are handled separately.

By the looks of this package is appears to be for a fresh install to lessen the time it takes to update the system (not for fully updated systems)

Am hoping to have time on Friday to generate a new VM so as to test this one out. Already know it generates only one Security Catroot entry so things may simpler than previously expected, just the problem of capturing a download link to it...
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

A number of updating tools use the cab file approach -- the updates download as cabs instead of .msu, I think WSUS Offline Update does, an unfamiliar (to me) tool called Portable Update. It will be interesting to see how WUD (Windows Updates Downloader) adjusts, as with AutoPatcher, WUD downloads as .msu & .exe, etc -- not cabs.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@ChrisJ, these new updates when downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog are in fact in msu format.

Have posted my thoughts and findings on this here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1348
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

Whatacrock wrote:@ChrisJ, these new updates when downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog are in fact in msu format.

Have posted my thoughts and findings on this here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1348
Hi Wac :D

My previous comment was more general... if direct links to msu(s), exe(s), etc, should go bye-bye that other updating tools like WSUS Offline Update etc download mostly .cab files (IIRC). I was noting that AP as well might have to find & download in .cab format.

You know, if the monthly iso(s) remain available for download (and are a feasable option), this brings up a new, and somewhat interesting direction. I'll hold off on my thoughts until later though, hoping that direct links to individual updates remain -- fingers crossed :geek:
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

From my understanding and how things have proceeded Updates this past Patch Day, it would appear that the Security Updates are delivered in the usual manner, fingers crossed that it remains this way.
On the other hand the Non Security will be delivered as Rollup packages. once a month. This is a little more disconcerting as there are those updates which try to get you to Downgrade/Upgrade to Windows 10 --- not gunna happen here.....

As a matter of interest, the now famous update KB3035583 has recently been updated, causing it to not be hidden if you had done so in WU