Help to add new modules/msu

Requests for help go in here.
felipousis

Help to add new modules/msu

Post by felipousis »

Hi: first of all thanks for this tool, it's really great for the offline updates.

I need to add some hotfixes that are not part of the set APUP downloaded, i.e. KB 2567680, because our servers require some specific ones to run properly. So far I need like 30 +/- so I would like to know if there's any way to speed up the process of creating the required apm files for them, or I need to load a long playlist and start typing in.

If I understood correctly, I need to have an APM file associated to the MSU file, right?

Any help would be very welcome.

Regards.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help to add new modules/msu

Post by TheAPGuy »

http://www.autopatcher.net/Apup_Documen ... ormat.html
Here is documentation on how to create APM files.
http://www.autopatcher.net/Apup_Documen ... _docs.html
Here is documentation on how to create scripts. (skip to section 5)

IF you are going to download the relevant KB files yourself you don't need to create a script. However you will still need APM files. You will have to do some experimenting to make sure your detections work. Most KB documents give information on how to detect if the update was installed. Its usually looking for an installed file or registry entry. Make sure to look at a few of the current APM files to get the idea of how they are created. They are VERY strait forward. I recommend taking an existing APM and deleting all the values after = sign and then adding in your own. Make sure its not a directory APM file, look for one that has a KB file number in it. Delete all the extra Title_ and Description_ you don't nee any other language then English do you?

One more thing... the entry "ModuleFolder=" in the APM files assumes you are starting to look from the directory that APM is in... so if you stuff that apm in "c:\Autopatcher\modules\Custom" and then put in a value of "Custom_Files" It will look for your update in "c:\Autopatcher\modules\Custom\Custom_Files". Do keep your APM files separate from your updates, it makes things easier for you.

The x86 registry detection for the KB you mentioned is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP4\KB2567680\Filelist

Also note... IF you create your own APM files Autopatcher will complain about being unofficial. Unless you use ver 6 of AP. Using version 6, place your files in "custom modules" and it shouldn't complain. "Shouldn't"
felipousis

Post by felipousis »

Hi TheAPGuy: this is what I did, after reviewing some other APM files on the modules.At this time I don't care about being non official, since the systems doesn't require all the updates, just the needed ones and so far I need to dig which other ones can I add later.

[Behavior]
ParentID=WINDOWS_SEVEN_X64_CRITICAL_PARENT
UniqueID=KB2556532_SEVEN_X64
Critical=True
TimeToInstall=45
TimeToRemove=45
RequiresReboot=True
ModuleFolder=Critical_files

[DetectionRegistry]
RegistryPath=
KeyName=
KeyValue=

[DetectionFile]
FilePath=windows:\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
FileName=Package_for_KB2556532~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.1.cat
FileVersion=ANY
FileMD5=ANY

[OperatingSystem]
WindowsVersion=SEVEN_X64
SystemLanguage=ANY

[Installation]
"Module:\Windows6.1-KB2556532-x64.msu" /quiet /norestart
felipousis

Post by felipousis »

Hi: after dealing with this, I go the following from the log =>

Module 'Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2556532)' (unique id: 'KB2556532_SEVEN_X64') reports 'WINDOWS_SEVEN_X64_GK_PARENT' as its parent, but such module does not exist or is not loaded in the right order.

So I guess the system is not loading the modules folder in the right way. It doesn't matter where the folder is located (level), the system still keep showing the same.

To sumarize: I have a custom folder named "GK", the .apm files are there and inside this folder, I have a folder called GK_files with the actual msu files, so I believe this is fine, but I don't know how to tell the system to scan, or add, that folder and show it in the GUI.

Also, Ho can I get the Autopatcher 6?, the link posted only gives you 5.7.56
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Do you have the windows 7 x64 script downloaded as well?
If you create your own folder and you are not using AP 6 you need to keep your personal folders under the modules folder.
If the files you want to add are additions to the windows 7 x64 script you need to place them under that folder as well so it would look like "modules\Windows_Seven_x64\YOUR FOLDER". You would need your own parent apm that tells AP about this folder. You can look at the critical and non critical folder apms as an example.
The reason for placing them under the windows 7 x64 folder is for the proper load order. You don't want your custom modules that rely on windows 7 x64 to load before the modules for it does. You can make sure your modules appear before or after the critical/non-critical by adjusting the release dates... experiment with it.

"WINDOWS_SEVEN_X64_GK_PARENT" This is your attempt at a parent apm I guess?
Also, Ho can I get the Autopatcher 6?, the link posted only gives you 5.7.56
Its in the testing area. Its not polished but, its in working condition and combines both AP with APUP. If you get this don't download updates for AP or APUP anymore just the scripts.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47
felipousis

Post by felipousis »

Hi there: so finally I managed to get the "custom" updates being shown, and installed. The thing is the install detection is not working in Autopatcher, no matter what I do, however Windows shows the KB as installed.

Let's use the KB2511455.

In the apm file I have the following:
[DetectionRegistry]
RegistryPath=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_2_for_KB2511455~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0
KeyName=InstallClient
KeyValue=WindowsUpdateAgent

I have tried changing the KeyName and the KeyValue, same results, the KB is shown as available to install (in black instead of blue) when running the Autopatcher again. However, the system returns this hotfix was already installed

C:\Users\Felipe>wmic qfe get HotFixid | find "KB2511455"
KB2511455

Any ideas?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Since I have the same update installed I will generate an apm and test it. Will report back.

So I banged my head on it for a while... and then it hit me. You are using the full registry root name. AP uses the abbreviated names.
HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKCR = HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKCC = HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
HKDD = HKEY_DYN_DATA
HKPD = HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA
HKUS = HKEY_USERS

also a side note that helps if you create a lot of modules... use /showdetected in the commands you will end up with a report in your log file that looks like this...
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2511455) File( F ) Reg( T )
This will tell you how your apms were detected. Via file or registry.
felipousis

Post by felipousis »

Hi AP guy: thanks for your help, the HKLM solved the issue and now all the installed hotfixes are recognized and shown in blue in the GUI, thanks!!!

Now, I still have an issue with only 3 modules and the message in the log is the same:
Module 'Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2709715)' (unique id: 'KB2709715_Custom') reports 'Custom_PARENT' as its parent, but such module does not exist or is not loaded in the right order.

Those 3 modules have the same exact configuration than the other ones, being the specific info the difference between them. I just don't know what can be causing this issue...

Thanks again!
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

pack your stuff in a zip and upload it. I will pick through and see what I can find.
felipousis

Post by felipousis »

Hi AP: here you go, these are the modules only, not the actual .msu files.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Attachments
Custom_Modules.zip
(3.08 KiB) Downloaded 421 times