AP 6.1.37, 6.1.38 - "Invalid procedure call or argument" errors, Unofficial/Unsupported Release

Requests for help go in here.
Pendraguin

AP 6.1.37, 6.1.38 - "Invalid procedure call or argument" errors, Unofficial/Unsupported Release

Post by Pendraguin »

Hello AP World!
Long time listener, first time caller :)

Thank you for this wonderful program; it's very useful when I have to muck about with new or reloaded old systems, which happens every few years.

My current system is Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x86/32-bit.

I am having some issues with 6.1.32, 6.1.37, and 6.1.38. I was able to use 6.1.32 to install most of the Windows updates (and some of the other software too). It's only when I started getting errors that I looked through the forums and found there were newer versions of AP. (I recognize that they are considered beta.)

#####
A) On the DOWNLOAD screen for 6.1.37 & 6.1.38, "List of available releases" shows AutoPatcher Engine 6.1.32 instead of 6.1.37 or 6.1.38
I did select and install it once - and ended up with 6.1.32 instead of 6.1.37. Oops. Easy to revert back though. ;)

** For comparison of the different versions, after that, I only selected "AutoPatcher for Windows 7 SP1 (x86)" - nothing else, not even AutoPatcher.

#####
B) After clicking INSTALL, AP gets marked as Unofficial/Unsupported during the "Verifying release integrity" part for 6.1.32, 6.1.37 & 6.1.38

The AP log shows the following:

Code: Select all

UNOFFICIAL: File 'C:\AutoPatcher-v6_1_37\modules\Windows_Seven_x86\Critical\KB3046482_seven_x86.apm' (mentioned by RTI 'seven_x86_sp1.rtiz') does not exist!
UNOFFICIAL: File 'C:\AutoPatcher-v6_1_37\modules\Windows_Seven_x86\Critical\KB3057154_seven_x86.apm' was found, but not mentioned by any RTI!
On the "Loaded Releases" screen for all 3 versions, AutoPatcher Windows 7 SP1 (x86) shows Official = False.

B1) KB3046482 - The .msu file exists in the Critical_files folder but there is no .apm file for it. Sweeper /verbose detected this as MISSING.

B2) KB3057154 - The .msu file is indeed missing but there is a .apm file for it. I downloaded the .msu file and tried to run it, but got "The update is not applicable to your system." Sweeper /verbose did not mention this file.
- If I remove the .apm file, then this KB does not get mentioned in the AP log file.
- If I select only this KB in the updates list, then 6.1.32 goes through the motions of installing it, but does not. AP can exit without error. But in 6.1.37 & 6.1.38, I get this error:

Installing Security Update for Windows 7 (KB3057154)
trying to execute an external command or program.
Error Detected: File not found in RunCommand At Line 0
#####
C) AP 6.1.37 & 6.1.38: I get an "Invalid procedure call or argument" error when trying to install updates.
The Crash Handler window showed this:

What AutoPatcher was trying to do
It appears that the error occured while AutoPatcher was trying to execute an external command or program.

Where: GeneralFunctions.RunCommand() At Line 0
Error Code: 0x5: Invalid procedure call or argument
The AP log showed the following:

Installing Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2861855)
Error Detected: Invalid procedure call or argument in RunCommand At Line 0
I tried several different updates (only selecting 1 at a time) and got the error each time. Most were not already installed, according to AP; one was (in blue).

#####
D) Some updates that were selected to be installed (i.e., apparently not already installed) where either "not applicable" or in fact already installed. This was in all 3 versions of AP except where noted.

I ran the .msu files directly from the Critical_files folder, and got 1 of the 2 messages:
D1) "The update is not applicable to your system."
KB2532531 - see note below
KB2861855
KB2862966
KB2864058
KB2876331
KB2929961
KB2939576
KB2978668
KB3023607 - only showed in 6.1.32, not the later versions
KB3070102

KB2532531 is an update for bluetooth. My computer does not have bluetooth installed, so I told AP to never show this selection.
* As an aside, the blacklist seems to work fine in 6.1.37 & 6.1.38 but not in 6.1.32 - this KB still shows in 6.1.32 but not in the other 2 versions.

D2) "is already installed on this computer"
KB2862973
KB2872339
KB3045999

#####
I've read a lot of the posts on the forum, so I've tried to include the relevant info. I ran each version of AP with /verbose, which I will try to attach, and even with /MaxDebug - I can provide this one if requested; they run about 1 MB in size.

The spoiler *should* be the AP log with /verbose.
► Show Spoiler
Thanks! :D[/font]
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: AP 6.1.37, 6.1.38 - "Invalid procedure call or argument" errors, Unofficial/Unsupported Release

Post by Whatacrock »

I am the one to blame for the missing and wayward modules, BAD BOY!!!

Corrected the archive and script, uploaded to the server. Note: NO date change. Also attached the missing apm module, download and extract to modules\Windows_Seven_x86\Critical
Once you have the file extracted then proceed to delete the wayward module KB3057154. This should make the release "Official" You can also use Sweeper to weed out the vermin file if you wish.

Will look into the updates which are not applicable to your system and add additional detections where necessary, this will take a little time but will keep you posted..
KB3046482_seven_x86.7z
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: AP 6.1.37, 6.1.38 - "Invalid procedure call or argument" errors, Unofficial/Unsupported Release

Post by Whatacrock »

In response to section "D" have edited the modules concerned. During the process found that 2 were superseded, these need to be removed from Critical, these are KB2876331 & KB2939576 --both the apm and .msu files.

Download the attached archive and extract the contents to Critical, replacing the existing files. Run Autopatcher (should now be Unofficial).
All those with the exception of one should now be suppressed in 6.1.32 --- 6.1.36 and above also

Post your log file and if all is well then will proceed to update the release, sign the release and upload.
Archive.7z
Pendraguin

Post by Pendraguin »

Yay that worked to make AP Official again!

No worries about the missing modules, I know you work hard to keep this stuff working as well as it does! :D

I used the "More Info" link to view each of the KB's that were selected - they all show "Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 1" as one of the affected OS's. They did not make a distinction between Home & the other subversions, but I wonder if that may be part of the problem?

Most of the TechNet articles did not list an affected component, but a few mentioned XML Core Services. I thought the XML software used to be listed in Add/Remove Programs or under Installed Updates, but I did not see it in either. So maybe I don't have it? Can't recall if it is part of the normal OS install; I know I've installed upgrades for it before but that may have been on business workstations.
- These ones mention XML: KB3046482 (the one that was missing) and KB2939576

Also, KB2862966 it looks like might be superceded by KB2868725. Both are on this page, the link in AP from 2862966: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/2854544
(OK I see you replied while I was replying; still leaving this part in so I can look clever :ugeek: )

Will try your suggestions and reply again...
Pendraguin

Post by Pendraguin »

Ok done - I replaced those .apm files (from your Archive.7z file) and ran AP 6.1.38 (I'll just keep using this one unless you say otherwise - I don't have a need for any specific version).

AP actually still showed as Official, but the log file does show "Detection error"/" MD5 Hashes do NOT match" for the 10 new .apm files.

And AP still crashes with "Invalid procedure call or argument" when I hit NEXT to start installing (Part C from my initial post).

AP log file with /verbose
► Show Spoiler
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Will proceed with updating the release, will be online within the next few hours.

Will let TheAPGuy answer the invalid call problem sine I have no idea why....
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Installing Security Update for Windows 7 (KB3045999)
Error Detected: Invalid procedure call or argument in RunCommand At Line 0
indeed this is troubling. It happened to you with two different update files as well. Will run some sample installs and see if I can replicate.
Pendraguin

Post by Pendraguin »

I just downloaded and tested 6.1.36 and that crashed with this error as well. I don't have .33, .34, or .35 to try, but this error did not occur in .32. So whatever is causing it was introduced after 6.1.32.

But .36 did load as an Official Release.

(And an addition to my aside in my first post, the blacklist does NOT work in .36, so was fixed in .37)
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Uploaded the newer script, now available
changelog in the releases forum

KB2862966 was removed entirely from the release as after some reading this update is NOT applicable to many endusers
Pendraguin

Post by Pendraguin »

Ran Sweeper, and it removed 4 KB's (.apm files & .msu files):
KB2862966
KB2876331
KB2939576
KB3046482

Ran AP 6.1.38 - showed as Official and only showed these 2 files not yet installed:
KB2872339
KB3070102

Clicked NEXT to install, AP crashed (I know this is probably still pending investigation.)

Tried to install them from the .msu files, and got "already installed" (KB2872339) and "not applicable to your system" (KB3070102).

From my initial "D1" and "D2" lists, all KB's are now properly not showing in the Install list or show as installed (i.e., in blue text) except the 2 mentioned above & KB3045999.

I did see these in your changelog post.

KB3045999 does not show in the AP Install list or in Windows Installed Updates, but when I run it, I get "already installed." (I did find it in the registry.) I suspect Windows may be drinking when I am away. :/

Maybe it was superceded by another KB?