Ap 6.1.32 - Permission denied in ExecuteCommand At Line 108

Requests for help go in here.
just-starting

Re: Ap 6.1.32 - Permission denied in ExecuteCommand At Line 108

Post by just-starting »

Decided to do some more testing - this time with procmon running to capture i/o activity.
I hope this will assist you in determining the issues.
A summary of the output follows - the complete data set is available if you want it (4.6meg xml or 970k pml)
► Show Spoiler
Also from a different test - what is the purpose of this command?
ren "G:\AutoPatcher-Win7\autopatcher\modules\Windows_Seven_x86\Critical\Critical_files\E11-Windows6.1-KB3003057-x86.msu" IE11-Windows6.1-KB3003057-x86.msu

Despite the issues I did manage to update all the patches yesterday although it took an extra 15-20 minutes to run the failing
commands manually. Despite that I want to express my appreciation for all the hard work that has gone into this project. This
program will pay back that 15-20 minutes in spades when updating systems.

If you need more testing done, just let me know.
Pendraguin

Post by Pendraguin »

I'd rather avoid looking through even 4.6kb of XML, let alone 4.6MB! It makes my eyes hurt. :roll:

I second what you said about how useful AP is - I've used it for years (off & on), especially helps those that have multiple machines with diff versions of Windows.

Looking up those flags for 7za.exe show this:
x = extract files with full paths
-y = assume Yes on all queries
-o = set output directory

Not sure what exactly "Name Invalid" is referring to. Can you run this command from a command line?

Code: Select all

G:\test-autopatcher-6-1-0-39\call "G:\test-autopatcher-6-1-0-39\bin\7za.exe" x -y -o"G:\test-autopatcher-6-1-0-39\temp_bin\" "G:\test-autopatcher-6-1-0-39\temp_bin\TheAdmin.7z"
It should just extract the contents of the zip file to the temp_bin folder. Just checked a diff .7z file I had from AP, and that contains a .txt file & a .bat file.
Also from a different test - what is the purpose of this command?
ren "G:\AutoPatcher-Win7\autopatcher\modules\Windows_Seven_x86\Critical\Critical_files\E11-Windows6.1-KB3003057-x86.msu" IE11-Windows6.1-KB3003057-x86.msu
ren = rename
It just renames the E11-...msu file to IE11-...msu. My guess is that MS left off the first letter of the filename (presumably accidentally). The ren command probably is not necessary for AP but. in general, it's helpful to stick to the proper naming conventions. IDK if the AP team needs to see a list of the updates but having all the IE11 ones together would be useful.
just-starting

Post by just-starting »

Sorry about the rename question - my old eyes missed the fact that the 'I' was missing. I bettor get new glasses!

I ran the command and the results was
'G:\test-autopatcher-6-1-0-39\call' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

However issuing the command as
call "G:\test-autopatcher-6-1-0-39\bin\7za.exe" x -y -o"G:\test-autopatcher-6-1-0-39\temp_bin\" "G:\test-autopatcher-6-1-0-39\temp_bin\TheAdmin.7z"
runs successfully.

When I previously ran the commands directly, I only used the part of the line that started after the 'call'
which is why they worked for me.

Actually, the 4.6meg file is in PML format which can be re-loaded back into procmon (from sysinternals aka microsoft) and
easily viewed in tabular form.
I am guessing that the 'name invalid' refers to the fact that 'call.exe' was not found in the directories tried which is
true because there is no such exe on my system. It is a guess since I am not overly familiar which procmon's output.
More research for me to do.
Pendraguin

Post by Pendraguin »

Can you run AP with the /verbose flag and paste the log here? (in a spoiler)

Did you get the "Name Invalid" for each of the scripts you had selected?

SysInternals is great! I use their PsTools at work all the time, and ProcEx at home. Not familiar with ProcMon (Process Monitor, I assume), but I know they make a lot of tools.

I assume that "call.exe" is just a Windows command but good luck trying to do a search to find out. lol I got lots of results about how to call exe files. :/
just-starting

Post by just-starting »

This is the log with /verbose
► Show Spoiler
And this is another run with /verbose /debug /report
► Show Spoiler
Unfortunately, there is no additional information from around the time of the failure.
Note: For both runs I manually ran the commands without problems.

I found descriptions of the result codes
NAME INVALID The caller requested an object with an invalid name—for example, C:\Windows\”regedit.exe”.

NAME NOT FOUND The caller tried to open an object that doesn’t exist. One scenario in which these result codes can
arise is when a DLL load routine looks in various directories as part of the DLL search process.
A dll search may explain the 21 entries with different directories.

I ran the procmon capture only once - I will do several more attempts when I have a bit more time.
just-starting

Post by just-starting »

I saw an entry by val__ in the testing forum about backing off to the prior version (v6.1.38 ) due to problems with 39.
So I decided to try that version and running the exact same request as noted in the preceding entry
version 38 ran without any problem what ever!

I will try complete updates (tomorrow most likely) with version 38 and report back the results.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Damn, I didn't account for that. The problem is due to the search for an ".exe" or ".com" when figuring out how to process the the execute string. It found one so the function decided it was running the executable instead of processing a console command and tried to execute it. :( Call is not needed anymore anyways though. If call wasn't in there it would have run fine. I will poke the scripts with a sharp stick.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Ok so I said screw it to messing with the scripts. Anyways... I fixed up the execute function to include searches for "call" "ren" "del" "copy" and "move" to go to console execution. However it is recommended to start using the already included AP functions instead of the console commands as the functions will give feedback on errors while the consoles commands will not.

The following is a list of script functions supported (they should be easy to figure out what they do):
"FILERENAME", "RENAMEFILE"
"FILEMOVE", "MOVEFILE"
"FILECOPY", "COPYFILE"
"FOLDERRENAME", "RENAMEFOLDER"
"FOLDERMOVE", "MOVEFOLDER"
"FOLDERCOPY", "COPYFOLDER"
"FILEDELETE", "DELETEFILE"
"FOLDERDELETE", "DELETEFOLDER"
"UNZIP", "UNZIPFILE", "FILEUNZIP"
"DOWNLOAD" <-- this one is new and supported in this latest version and up. For you WAC! replace curl command with this eventually. NOT YET THOUGH! (I want to test a bit more.) you can do it in a test script though.

The functions that require two inputs need the inputs to be separated with a "|" character. Example PREACTION=FOLDERMOVE autopatcher:\modules | autopatcher:\Mymodules
Download is the exception to this. it requires "::" in between the inputs. Example PREACTION=download http://www.autopatcher.net/gold :: c:\MyWallet <-- notice I didn't need caps to use download function. It just makes it easier to notice commands if you write them in all caps. Same with preaction it doesn't need to be all caps. it could be pReacTioN and still work.

hmm... I remember there was a reason you said you didn't like the functions though... or was it dom that said that...

Uploading latest version in a min.
just-starting

Post by just-starting »

Installed AP6.1.40
Ran several download tests without any issues.
Ran the update section and encountered minor issues
1) Installing Update for Revoked Certificates - March 2015 (KB3050995)
Silent Error: Attempted to give prgTotalProgress a negative value or a value too high :100

2) On one of the entries that are shown but does not apply to my system,
(clicking on it produces message - You cannot use this. Reason(s): (Incompatible System Component) )
I clicked on 'more info' and it produced error -
Error Detected: File not found in RunCommand At Line 104
Attempted Commandline: start http://www.microsoft.com/italy/technet/ ... 2-005.mspx
This appears to be the same issue as with the 'call' command.

Other than these two minor issues, all seems to be working correctly
On issue number 2, it is the intention to always show items that do not apply or is this just testing setup?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

hmm ok so need to add start to the execute list. The first one is a math error in calculating how much work is done. I added the silent error in so I knew when it was triggering and it could help me track it down. The damn thing just seems to happen randomly.