Problem downloading Win7 updates

Requests for help go in here.
NigP99

Problem downloading Win7 updates

Post by NigP99 »

I'm trying to download the Windows 7 x64 updates but Autopatcher isn't downloading anything. It's failing on everything from Microsoft.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nig
Attachments
autopatcher.log
(213.37 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem downloading Win7 updates

Post by TheAPGuy »

Is your I drive a CD/DVD or a non writable location? That is the only thing that would make sense. Curl is trying to download but, it can't write.
NigP99

Post by NigP99 »

No it's a hard drive with more than 300 Gb free. I've used apup before from this drive with no problems. Wierdly the non microsoft stuff ( ie Flash) downloads fine. I've tried running it from a physically different drive, same result. An odd one.
NigP99

Post by NigP99 »

Ok I've got Autopatcher to download the updates.

I popped out the OS drive and put in another drive. Installed Windows 7 to it, ran Autopatcher from it and success it worked.

Strange it would'nt work with my XP instal. At least I have a workaround.

Thanks
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Still that is strange.
NigP99

Post by NigP99 »

I assume the problem is with my system. After all it's XP and it's long overdue a clean reinstall. Which won't happen now I've a new Win 7 system almost ready. Not very cutting edge but 10 is awful.

Anyway an odd problem for sure.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I was a hard up XP fan. I am now enjoying windows 7. Sure its not as... "open" with its configuration as XP was but, its still great. I do plan to try out windows 10 though. Probably clone my ssd onto a HD and upgrade its windows 7 install and see what its like. I hear lots of bad things about 10 but I also hear that 10 can work on computers that windows 7 was slow on. So it might be a viable OS for old computers.
NigP99

Post by NigP99 »

Not too hard up:-) I didn't like the UI of 10 but that's down to personal likes and dislikes. However there were also a lot of quirks which I couldn't get on with. But that was back in July, maybe the updates since have made it more tolerable. Hopefully the download is quicker than it was then. Getting Linux distros and updates is so much faster.

Once I get used to 7 I'll most likely run it in a VM together with Linux. All good fun.