Help with making release official

Requests for help go in here.
ChrisJ

Re: Help with making release official

Post by ChrisJ »

older-than-dirt wrote:I ran sweeper with the /verbose switch. I allowed it to delete files.
► Show Spoiler
I then ran autopatcher and the following was displayed:

[img]unofficial-after-sweeper+verbose.jpg[/img]

I am running apup 1.4.38 right now and will post the results afterwards.
if this is the release from your second post, that was official except for extra files, now, after running sweeper it created this mess, this shouldn't have happened, and why i always run sweeper with /test just in case.

just a tip about Spoiler, you put the text from your logs between the brackets, you don't need to and it doesn't make sense to put a download link. copy the text from your log and paste it between the spoiler brackets.

here's one of your logs, i edited it for myself when investigating some of your issues. always post an unedited log, this is only an example.
► Show Spoiler
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

older-than-dirt wrote:This XP VM is used exclusively for autopatcher, it has no other software installed since day 1. I don't think it's a virus issue.

This is a little bit long and complicated, but here's what I did. The XP OS crashed while running APUP during the 1.8GB of downloads. So I decided to just start over, but with a twist. Instead of downloading all the releases into 1 directory, I decided to break it up into the following separate directories:

Each brand new directory contains apup, (and the following modules: autopatcher, autopatcher common) and then the following:

Windows 8.1 (x86 & x64)
Windows 7 SP1 (x86 & x64)
Windows VistaSP2 (x86)
Windows XP SP3 (x86) & SP2 (x64)
Office (the 3 office modules)
Adobe+Java+AdminTools
DotNet (x86 & x64), ENU Addon Pack, Redistributables, DirectX.

This is not what I wanted to do and it's not the most convienient, but it does show some issues. After spending last night downloading ~6GB of data (my ISP is
lovin' this) I completed it.
this makes sense when it comes to maintaining the releases, fixing problems, verifying is quicker for autopatcher, and sweeper. you could create shortcuts to each release folder, naming the link for the release, moving the shortcut to a new \shortcuts folder higher up in the path. if you want to help a friend, just copy the release you need to a thumb drive instead of having to take everything with you when you only need a few modules.

C:\apup\shortcuts
win-8-apup
win-8-autopatcher
win-8-sweeper
win-7-apup
win-7-autopatcher
win-7-sweeper
win-vista-apup
win-vista-autopatcher
win-vista-sweeper
win-xp-apup
win-xp-autopatcher
win-xp-sweeper

apup can 'remember selections'. you can add your /switches in the links. hover the mouse over the link will tooltip the folder the link originates should you need a reminder. you can add shortcuts to the log files as well.
older-than-dirt wrote:Now, I run autopatcher in each of the directories to see which ones report official and which ones don't. The results:

Official Release: Windows 8.1 (x86 & x64)
Official Release: Windows 7 SP1 (x86 & x64)
good, no extra, missing, or corrupted files.
older-than-dirt wrote: Unofficial Release: Windows VistaSP2 (x86) (in the about->release info, everything is shown as Official)
the vista release has extra files somewhere, remember, release info shows official (true) but autopatcher shows warning message 'unofficial/unsupported release'.
older-than-dirt wrote:Unofficial Release: Windows XP SP3 (x86) & SP2 (x64) ("Autopatcher Common Modules", "Windows XP x86" are listed as NOT official)
if what you are saying here is that xp x64 is official (true) but the 'common modules' and 'xp x86' are unofficial (false, red), common and xp x86 have missing or corrupted files, or both. run autopatcher /verbose and sweeper /test /verbose, study the logs, what are they letting you know???
older-than-dirt wrote: Official Release: Office
Official Release: Adobe+Java+AdminTools
good, no extra, missing, or corrupted files.
older-than-dirt wrote: Unofficial Release: DotNet (x86 & x64), ENU Addon Pack, Redistributables, DirectX. (in the about->release info, everything is shown as Official)
all the releases are official (true) as far as release info is concerned but autopatcher gives off the warning 'unofficial/unsupported' --- look for extra files. sweeper and autopatcher are your friend, so is /test and /verbose :)
older-than-dirt wrote: <snip>
So, it seems to me that there is no way I could generate an official release if all of the modules are included in one directory
yes you can have all the modules in one folder as long as you know how to investigate the issues that cause a release to become unofficial, and can fix the problem without disturbing the rest of the releases, not an easy task for most users. separating the releases into logical groups is good so the size and number of files is easier to maintain and deal with.

if you noticed i was repeating myself for a reason, hopefully a pattern emerged about what you are faced with when you see certain messages. my opinions are only that, my opinion, but have served me well.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

With maintaining an AIO autopatcher, easiest way is to update each release on it's own, knowing that it will take longer to update it's best way of not getting into problems ( I know as I maintain an AIO for Windows XP to Win7, plus all the extras)

A second AIO for Windows 8 / Win 8.1 plus extras
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
rvkumar

Post by rvkumar »

apup.log
APUP log generated after error was encountered.
(7.47 KiB) Downloaded 662 times
I ran APUP which ended with an error.

Please help.

Thanks
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@rvkumar -- A suggestion, when encountering an error select the release causing it and re-run apup, this usually clears the error. If it still persists then we need to know so corrections can be made..
rvkumar

Post by rvkumar »

Thanks.

I did 5 times, am still getting same error.

PS: It appeared AFTER it downloaded Flashplayer (16MB) installer.
Attachments
APUP-verification failed.JPG
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Flash Player has been updated, please refer to the thread for Extras..
rvkumar

Post by rvkumar »

Thanks.