Live Essentials

Suggestions for future improvements, adding to scripts, or adding new scripts.
Magmarock

Live Essentials

Post by Magmarock »

Hello guys please understand that this will be my first post on the Autopatcher fourms. I'd like to make a suggestion for autopatcher. Taking a page from WSUS offline update (another really good offline updating utility.) I'd like to suggest adding live essentials to the list of optional updates to install. Windows Movie maker is a great little tool for rendering videos.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Live Essentials

Post by Whatacrock »

@ Magmarock -- it is good to make suggestions for new additions to the releases, but you may not be aware of this that there is at this time only one person updating the release, this being myself. Updating the releases usually is time consuming, usually 2-3 days when it's Update Day but at other times can be just a few hours. In addition to this, the need to install the software to verify the detections are correct, this creates the problem that I then have software installed that I have no use for. So you see where I am heading..

If there is sufficient support for the addition of Live Essentials, then this will be reconsidered. There have been other requests and not been included due to lack of support from the community.
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Here is some data to get you started. I am referring that you could of course create your own release for this. Have a look at any of the releases whilst downloading it. Open the temp_bin and copy the script to another location, you may also copy any archived files contained. To read the script, use any text editor, such as Notepad, Notepad++. Open the archived files with any archiver. I also suggest you read the Autopatcher Wiki pages, these can be found at the top of the forum

Data collected to get you started (example of suggested location):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... essentials

[File download section]
Item=wlsetup-all.exe
DetectFile=autopatcher:\modules\AddOns\AddOns_files\wlsetup-all.exe
DetectHash=906689A666D3D9AB4CC951ED6354D0B1
DownloadFrom=http://wl.dlservice.microsoft.com/downl ... up-all.exe
DownloadTo=autopatcher:\modules\AddOns\AddOns_files\wlsetup-all.exe
ExpectedSize=137329840
ExpectedHash=906689A666D3D9AB4CC951ED6354D0B1

As far as the modules go you should create for all applications contained under Live Essentials.
Windows Essentials is a suite of free Windows programs such as Movie Maker, Photo Gallery, Mail, and Writer.
Magmarock

Post by Magmarock »

Hey, thanks for getting back to and you're from Australia too! that is awesome. You're the only maintainer. That's terrible, you should have more help. Offline updating is an important thing especly for IT pros; but I don't' need to tell you that ;)

First I'm not sure I'd have the skills required to really get into it and it's not really essential to include live essentials, I just thought it would be nice. Nice I have you thought there is a question I must ask. Whenever I try to install all updates at once 2005 c++ redistributable always throws a bit of a hissy fit. It seems that it likes to be installed separately. I'm just curious as to why this is, and would you recommend installing both 86 and 64bit versions of these packages?
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

If there is more interest in having The Microsoft Live Essentials added, of course there may be a change. Just not one of the priorities at this time.

As to this hissy fit that VC++ 2005 throws, which one, the x64 or the x86? I didn't have any issues when I installed a while back, not done it recently, even though the laptop still needs more updating, will check when I do that and relay the results.
As with some software it requires both the x64 and x86 as not programs that utilise this are 64 bit, they need the 32 bit version. Personally I would install all the VC++ redistributables just to be safe. Besides they do not occupy a lot of hard drive space.
Magmarock

Post by Magmarock »

I think it's both nut I'm not 100% sure exactly it only happens if you try to install everything at once. If you install them first and then install everything else after restart you won't get an error message.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Have done some research in to the VC++ Distributable Packages. Installed all onto this machine, the only issue was the popup for the install. This occurs for both the x86 and x64.
After doing some further reading this may be caused by the fact that the installers for VC++2005 were created in the same fashion as VC++ Version 8 . That is to say that the switches for Silent/Unattended are different than those currently being used in the apm modules. Will look into this even further and if need be will update the apm modules.
The packages for 2008 and later are more updated.