Windows 10

Suggestions for future improvements, adding to scripts, or adding new scripts.
ChrisJ

Re: Windows 10

Post by ChrisJ »

TheAPGuy wrote: So for ChrisJ's example you would write...

Code: Select all

Autopatcher.exe /listfile:C:\MyPrograms\AP.Suite\Lists\test.list
You only need "app:" if your list is within reach of APs current folder.

Autopatcher.exe /listfile:app:\Lists\test.list
OK, Cool. I likey - /listfile:app: - over the full path. In my case this scrubs ~18 characters off the length. I suppose I need to move .\Lists to AutoPatcher's root folder for this to work :D .\Scripts too :)
TheAPGuy wrote:You should not use both listfile and localscript. Otherwise there will not be any other problem with the order of when the commands are listed. When the programs load up the first thing it does is initialize logging ability and then read command line. If there is report it please.
OK. I really only need the local script feature. I don't recall having a need for a local releases.list, but, who knows :!: The option is nice. This is about as complicated as it gets for me...

autopatcher.exe /nolicense /verbose /localscript:app:\Scripts\test.script

TheAPGuy wrote:I opted to leave the test list/script feature out of the options area as it could lead to confusion on the users part on what is going on there. This of course was before there was a front screen to stop from going strait into download scripts mode. I will think about adding it to the .net version.
I understand. I hope you decide to add this capability.

Possibly an Advanced Options section in Options, noting that "using these features changes AP's normal behaviour" :arrow: and is meant for "advanced users only" :!:

Adding a checkbox that enables (activates) advanced options while disabling (deactivates, grays-out) the default list or script paths might help with reducing any confusion.

Clicking "Default Settings" button will reset AP, using the default paths for lists and scripts, as well graying-out (unchecking) the advanced options feature.
TheAPGuy wrote:I will release the newest version of AP after I get some sleep. I will run a few tests on it then release once I get some sleep. 19hrs up WOOOHOOO!
Get some sleep, it's the weekend.

This is good stuff :!: If I wasn't so lazy I might compile the various tidbits of info that have circulated on the forum, finally using LibreOffice for somethin', maybe create an "Intro.to.AP.pdf" help, not really sure if it is necessary though? There's the wiki but does anyone even read/update it -> rhetorical question :) Meez thinks a pdf document might be nice too, full of helpful otherwise unknown musings on AP's usefulness & functionality. I must learn all AP's usefulness & functionality! Thinking out loud!.?

Seriously, if I should unlazy myself and create something remotely beneficial I'll share, I promise :mrgreen:
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Your right, I have been neglecting the wiki. :( Want to give a shot at updating it? You are much better at describing things then I am. I just jump to the point of the current issue. While you are much more elegant at solving the problem while giving information relevant to possibly staving off the next question.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

TheAPGuy wrote:Your right, I have been neglecting the wiki. :(
No, not necessarily, it should be a community endeavor really - all of us who care. You don't need the information the wiki provides, it is for the benefit of those who have a need to know. BTW, you have an important job already - dev'in AP, forum admin... ;)
TheAPGuy wrote:Want to give a shot at updating it?

Well, because of possible hack attacks, crafty redirects, et al, I'm more inclined to prefer a local help file than a wiki. I suppose pdf's can demonstrate the same bad behaviour but they must be designed to do so, not something I would employ in a help file :)
TheAPGuy wrote:You are much better at describing things then I am. I just jump to the point of the current issue. While you are much more elegant at solving the problem while giving information relevant to possibly staving off the next question.
Getting to the point is good - short & sweet. I know I have a tendency (actually preference) to elaborate but it comes from experience and need. I won't ignore what is likely to be a known "next" question. I get tired of logging back in (or walking back) to ask more questions, worse, have co-workers come back with more questions, some I could have alleviated in the first place by being more thorough. I suppose it's a compromise between not-enough versus too-much info. If it could get someone killed, as it may in the electrical business, I make aware, otherwise, as the need arises and time permits.

I might attempt a draft of a table of contents first, submit it to the forum for adding/removing content. Then move on to filling in the blanks, we'll see.
val__

Post by val__ »

TheAPGuy wrote:wow... strange.
Instead of incrementing the windows version to 7 from 6 it skipped right to 10?!
btw thanks for the intel.
You mean 6.3 (win 8.1) to 10.0 :roll:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/24/7274 ... version-10

Running 6.1.28 on Win10, generated this log. I understand, it's bare autopatcher.exe w/o all other stuff. At least, it detects Windows 10.

Detected OS: English (1033) Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Current Locale: English / Non-Unicode Default: English
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\Users\x\Desktop\bin\COMCTL32.OCX
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\Users\x\Desktop\bin\MSCOMCTL.OCX
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\Users\x\Desktop\bin\COMDLG32.OCX
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\Users\x\Desktop\bin\RICHTX32.OCX
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\Users\x\Desktop\bin\curl.exe
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\Users\x\Desktop\bin\7za.exe
Error Detected: Component 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid APInitialize.PrimaryInit() At Line 144
DCS78

Post by DCS78 »

During beta testing MS noted that they wanted to distance themselves from Windows 8 and in doing so they would increment the kernels version to 10 over 6.x or 7.

Once the fixed version has been uploaded I will get back to my scripts.

Out of curiosity... I know Visual Studio gives an option to build dependencies into executables and I wonder if you have considered or are able to do so in this case.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Thanks for the extra confirmation val__

DCS78: Unfortunately VB 6 does not. :( I am in the progress of migrating the code from VB 6 to .NET. It was a nightmare... I am almost done. Once that is done... so much I can do... so much.
DCS78

Post by DCS78 »

I have been struggling with the Win10 script. I should say the script itself works but the updates are hit and miss. Several, including cumulative updates, fail or continuously install. Overall, I am waiting for TH2 that is slated for a November release.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

How are you detecting them? Via the cat directory or via registry? Windows downgraded use of registry entries around Vista.
DCS78

Post by DCS78 »

Detective CAT files.
The detection is all good but the OS itself is having issue with patch detection and installation issues. Cumulatives are available and yet interim patches (included in said cumulative) are being pulled by Windows Update. After which the cumulative fails. I tested this with a fresh install. I found a windows update fix website (from MS) and it did not help. I even wrote a script that erases the windows update log forcing a full scan on the next update check.

I will do so again on the latest when I get a chance but TH2 is about a month away, so I hear, and will be a good baseline.
parkd1

Post by parkd1 »

TheAPGuy wrote:Thanks for the extra confirmation val__

DCS78: Unfortunately VB 6 does not. :( I am in the progress of migrating the code from VB 6 to .NET. It was a nightmare... I am almost done. Once that is done... so much I can do... so much.
With that said, what is the minimum version of .Net we going to need?