More user friendly UI

Suggestions for future improvements, adding to scripts, or adding new scripts.
ibm450

More user friendly UI

Post by ibm450 »

Hi

first up, the AP is just awesome and saves alot of time to update M$ os offline.

Just a couple of suggestions though, and i apologize if these have already been brought up

1. More user friendly UI for Ap: When it loads up, i get confused to whether the blue highlighted services packs are already up to date or the other way around?
2. Legend: a simple legend stating blue = up to date red = new update available etc etc
3. improve on already checked MD5 checks on both Ap and apup - extremely annoying that it checks these MD5 validity and can take along time. surely there could be a way to add a log file to state all MD5 passes are good and skip straight to the actual install
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: More user friendly UI

Post by TheAPGuy »

You can skip the MD5 checks if you want. /fast skips md5 checks.

Yes the GUI could use improvement. I do want to include little things like that. I will also sometime in the future make installed items hidden unless a check mark is selected to show them. That way you are not just hit with a huge list of stuff.
ibm450

Post by ibm450 »

TheAPGuy wrote:You can skip the MD5 checks if you want. /fast skips md5 checks.

Yes the GUI could use improvement. I do want to include little things like that. I will also sometime in the future make installed items hidden unless a check mark is selected to show them. That way you are not just hit with a huge list of stuff.

thanks for the fast reply!

how do you fast skip md5 checks and where is that option in the GUI settings??

cheers
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

ibm450 wrote:how do you fast skip md5 checks and where is that option in the GUI settings??

cheers
Hi ibm450 :)

/fast is a commandline argument you use when you launch AutoPatcher (autopatcher.exe /fast), usually from a shortcut if you want to use the argument permanantly, or you can start AutoPatcher using "Run" if for instance you want to see the other available arguments -> autopatcher.exe /help.

Code: Select all

C:\MyPrograms\AP.Suite\autopatcher.exe /help
C:\MyPrograms\AP.Suite\autopatcher.exe /fast
Simply take a screenshot (Alt+Prt Scr) of the Help dialog for later reference when opening it from "Run" and if you want to speed up AP a bit I would create a shortcut to AutoPatcher adding the /fast argument - see code above - so AP will always skip md5 checks, of course only as long as you start AP with /fast.

Just make sure to use a space between the *.exe and the first argument - *.exe /fast - and between any argument used in addition - *.exe /fast /verbose
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

forgot to mention the full list of arguments should be printed to the autopatcher.log file after running AP with /help or /? (both create the dialog). You could also copy the log file and rename it to something like ap.commandline.log or ap.help.log instead of the screenshot method. I clean up the text a bit to make it easier to read but not necessary.
► Show Spoiler
2 arguments you might use are:
... /fast - for the reasons we mentioned already
... /nolicense - to skip the 2 EULAs when AP starts

Here's the path on my system when using a "Shortcut" or "Run".

Code: Select all

C:\MyPrograms\AP.Suite\autopatcher.exe /fast /nolicense
ibm450

Post by ibm450 »

thanks champ. made a world of a difference

could i suggest that these could be developed as an check box option at start up instead of command line entry?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I could make the eulas not show after an ini file is generated the first time since well, you already agreed to them. As for the other arguments being in the options area.. that is indeed planned they are just sorta low on the todo list.
mmiat

Post by mmiat »

Hi
I've just discovered this interesting software, very useful, thanks!
my suggestions:
- add select / deselect all button > I prefer install some updates, reboot, install other updates, and so on, not all in the same moment
- show updates' dimension, I prefer install small updates first
great job, thanks again
have a nice day
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

TheAPGuy wrote:I could make the eulas not show after an ini file is generated the first time since well, you already agreed to them.

This would be great, HideEULAs=True or ShowEULAs=False
TheAPGuy wrote:As for the other arguments being in the options area.. that is indeed planned they are just sorta low on the todo list.
This would be great too :)

I still like the idea of three different URL options (via check boxes) in the URL section versus one - Main, Alternate, and Other (Dropbox, or...). Checking a box for the URL you want would simultaneously disable the others (gray-out). Once the links are in place just click 'Save' and the link is updated in the ini. I also wish there were an easier way to run a local script and a local release list for that matter, especially for testing purposes.

Just my buck 38s worth of opinion :)