Autopatcher can no longer be burned as a .ISO

Suggestions for future improvements, adding to scripts, or adding new scripts.
older-than-dirt

Autopatcher can no longer be burned as a .ISO

Post by older-than-dirt »

Just an FYI, at this point and it's probably too late to revert changes, but....

Sometime since around 2011, the format for the names of scripts and files for autopatcher/apup have become so long that they now violate the Redbook spec for creating an ISO file (and potentially even just burning a CD/DVD).

In the past I found it convenient to take the autopatcher image and create an ISO file for it. This would then allow me to mount the ISO (as a CD/DVD) in each of the virtual machines that needed to be patched. Mounting an ISO in this manner was 10-20x speed improvement over using shared folders. I went to create an ISO on the latest (Feb 2014) autopatcher and the creation software gave a warning that in order to create an ISO it would need to truncate filenames. Of course once it did that, the image was broken and nothing worked.

So now it looks like I only have the folder/file based approach going forward. My guess is that no one noticed or cared about ISOs since everyone probably just copies AP to a thumb-drive (which I do as well).
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Autopatcher can no longer be burned as a .ISO

Post by Whatacrock »

@older-than-dirt -- there is a way to create working ISO images of autopatcher, I have been doing it for some time and this problem was discussed on autopatcher.com but since we have no access to the old posts we reiterate it here..

In order to create a workable ISO of autopatcher you need to change to the UDF file system. This will overcome the violation of Redbook spec and will preserve the file path from truncation.

Hope this sheds on the situation
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Yes there is UDF which is readable even int XP SP0. UDF is only an option for XP SP0 if you can set the version to 2.01. Otherwise use Joliet if you can. Standard ISO 9660 says you can have file lengths up to 31 characters.

Most burning software allows you to select Joliet as a file system name as well. Joliet has a standard length of 64 characters and even that can be waved to even longer as an option. Joliet is readable by win 95 and up if I remember right.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"