Old Posted News

Place you can talk about other things not related to autopatcher.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 7-Zip vulnerability...

Post by TheAPGuy »

I have updated my template zips to include the new files and will update the current stables to include them and upload them. ChrisJ: I can't seem to find AP5756 The highest before 6 is 5731. :( was it an unofficial file I posted in a forum post?

edit: ok I found 5756 in my personal archive not on the site. Will update it and upload.

edit:
Both APUP (link in its own thread) and AP have been updated (go update it yourself :P ).

Well damn found a bug in AP with renaming files. Fixed and put out new version. It also has the latest curl (with certs) and the new 7zip. Also... ChrisJ: AP5756 doesn't come with 7zip. I don't even think have the original code for that far back in order to edit to allow 7zip. I will look around my different backups but, I am thinking its a no. You could always do the hard work and download the scripts and replace all the
ActionAfterDownload.Unzip=<some zip>

with

ActionAfterDownload= autopatcher:\apup_bin\7za.exe" x -y -o"autopatcher:\modules\<New Location>\" "autopatcher:\temp_bin\<TheZip>.7z"

so much pain though. I highly recommend NOT doing that.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

You will need to update again The APGuy as 7Zip has been updated to 16.02
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

what? This is an outrage. uhghh.. fine.

Ok done. I had a thought last night. Since it is such a huge leap in versions for the helpers I updated the version to 6.2.0. There was also legitimate code change too to validate a change. :)
parkd1

Microsoft tweaks hardware requirements for Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Post by parkd1 »

Ahead of the biggest update yet for Windows 10, Microsoft has published details of the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Before you panic and start to worry that your current Windows 10 computer won't be able to run the update, the aim is actually to get the operating system on more devices.

The hardware requirement changes are aimed at developers, and open up both Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile to a wider range of screen sizes. The changes mean that Windows 10 Mobile can be run on devices with larger screens than before, while the desktop version of the operating system can be installed on smaller-screened devices. 32-bit devices with 1GB, however are being edged out.

Specifically, with screen sizes, Microsoft is increasing the upper limit for Windows 10 Mobile to 9 inches (up from 7.99 inches), and reducing the lower limit for Windows 10 desktop to 7 inches (down from 8 inches). This does create an interesting situation that means the desktop version of Windows 10 could be installed on smaller devices than Windows 10 Mobile.

There are changes to memory requirements that means both the 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows 10 require 2GB of RAM. This was previously the case for the 64-bit version, but the 32-bit edition only needed 1GB. When it comes to storage, 32-bit devices must have 16GB and 64-bit devices need 20GB.

Take a look at Microsoft's What's new in Design post for full details of the changes, and the Minimum hardware requirements page for a full breakdown.

http://betanews.com/2016/05/23/windows- ... uirements/
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

TheAPGuy wrote:ChrisJ: I can't seem to find AP5756 The highest before 6 is 5731. :( was it an unofficial file I posted in a forum post?

edit: ok I found 5756 in my personal archive not on the site. Will update it and upload.
What I do is grab the full archive via the script if a full is available rather than a single .exe, thats how I remember obtaining AP5756. What I have is an archive about 1.33MB in size.
TheAPGuy wrote:Also... ChrisJ: AP5756 doesn't come with 7zip. I don't even think have the original code for that far back in order to edit to allow 7zip. I will look around my different backups but, I am thinking its a no.
I was under the impression AP5756 was the last & most stable of the 5x versions, I'm surprised that it doesn't ring a bell.

My archive has a .\bin folder that contains 4 7z files, the .exe is v9.20, strangely the .chm states "Welcome to 7-Zip 4.57" - go figure :?:

Here's all of the files found in the .\bin folder :arrow: of my archive:
► Show Spoiler
I only wanted to follow up from my previous post with some FYI... and thanks for updating AP.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Windows 7 Users Have an Easy Way to Block the Upgrade to Windows 10

Post by Whatacrock »

Windows 7 Users Have an Easy Way to Block the Upgrade to Windows 10

It’s not a secret that Microsoft has been quite aggressive in its attempt to upgrade computers to Windows 10 and users turned to all kinds of tricks to block this and just stick with their current Windows version.

While third-party software solutions such as GWX Control Panel are quite popular these days, it is important to know that Microsoft is offering an alternative way that’s actually quite easy to implement in Windows 7. And very effective, that is.

It’s all possible with an update released by Microsoft in mid-2015 for Windows 7 computers (download the 32-bit/64-bit version here) which introduces support for a new policy that completely blocks the upgrade to new Windows versions, as AskVG reports. So all you have to do is to install this update and then enable the new policy to make sure that your computer never gets upgrades to Windows 10.
"How to enable the new policy"

Once you install this update (it’s also shipped via Windows Update, so if you’re running a fully up-to-date computer, it should already be there), you can enable the new policy via the Group Policy Editor or via the Registry Editor.

To use GPE, click the Start menu in Windows 7 and type gpedit.msc to launch it and then navigate to the following path:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

Open the option called “Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update,” set it to “Enabled” and you’re done.
This option needs to be enabled on Windows 7

For the Registry Editor method, just click the Start menu, launch the app by typing regedit.exe and go to this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

Select the Windows folder, right-click it and create a new entry called “WindowsUpdate.” In the right page, create a new DWORD entry called “DisableOSUpgrade” and set its value to 1.

These methods might not be new for more experienced users, but they certainly come in handy when seeing all these forced upgrades reports. We’ve also heard from readers saying that Microsoft might overwrite these changes with new updates, so it’s better to check back every once in a while to make sure you stay on Windows 7.

The free upgrade promo ends on July 29 and Microsoft will remove the Get Windows 10 app from our PC at that date, so stories on forced upgrades should no longer show up.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows- ... 4943.shtml
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Petition Calls for Investigation on Microsoft’s Forced Windows 10 Upgrades

Post by Whatacrock »

Petition Calls for Investigation on Microsoft’s Forced Windows 10 Upgrades

Microsoft’s aggressive Windows 10 upgrade strategy might be paying off because more users are switching to the new OS, but there are also customers who are very angry with this approach and now are turning against the company.

A petition on change.org calls for the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) to start an investigation on Microsoft because it forces users to move to Windows 10 and sometimes upgrades their computers without them giving their consent.

“Microsoft's practices with their newest operating system, named Windows 10, has been ignorantly unethical at best and malicious at worst,” the petition reads.

At this point, about 600 people have signed the petition which has a goal of 1,000, and this is very likely to be reached given the fact that it’s quickly spreading across the web on social media. Microsoft hasn’t yet commented on this petition and the chances are that the company will ignore it completely.
"“No apology from Microsoft”"

But it’s this attitude the one that’s frustrating for some users, as many have complained that Microsoft reacted in no way to the claims that it’s too aggressive with Windows 10 upgrades.

“Despite outcries in forums, articles, and every other venue Microsoft has not issued an apology, a retraction, or mentioned in any way that they are going to cease these practices. The only mention of them ceasing any of it is that the upgrade to Windows 10 will no longer be free after this coming July,” the petition continues.

More recently, Microsoft has been accused of making the Windows 10 upgrade impossible to block, but the company has always stated that all these claims are false and users are allowed to choose whether to upgrade to the new OS or not.

All these accusations, however, will end in July when Microsoft finally ends the free upgrade offer for Windows 7 and 8.1 users and it removes the Get Windows 10 app from their PCs.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/petition ... 4922.shtml
parkd1

Re: Windows 7 Users Have an Easy Way to Block the Upgrade to Windows 10

Post by parkd1 »

Microsoft Offers a Way to Prevent Automatic Windows 10 Upgrade on Windows 7 Computers

Ever since Microsoft released its latest OS Windows 10 to public and announced about free upgrade to Windows 10 within first year of its launch, the company has been very busy in sending Windows 10 upgrade to Windows 7 machines via Windows Update. Microsoft has released many updates for Windows 7 which help users in upgrading their Windows 7 OS to Windows 10. Sometimes the whole Windows 10 ISO file is downloaded on user's machine without any confirmation and asks user to upgrade the computer to the latest Windows version. It happens when the Windows 7 computer is set to automatic download and install updates.

Windows 10 Automatic Upgrade on Your Computer Again

Many Windows 7 users are satisfied with their operating system and don't want to upgrade to Windows 10. For such users, we have posted a detailed tutorial to stop automatic upgrade to Windows 10 which can be found at following link:

How to Remove "Get Windows 10 Upgrade" App and Icon from Taskbar?

Today in this tutorial, we are going to share another easy method to prevent the automatic Windows 10 upgrade on Windows 7 computers. This method requires installation of a new Windows update released by Microsoft which allows Windows 7 users to block the Windows 10 upgrade in their machines.

Thanks to our reader "David" for sharing information about this update.

Actually Microsoft has released an update "KB3050265" which upgrades Windows Update client in Windows 7 but this update also adds a new policy in "Group Policy Editor" program to turn off upgrade to latest Windows version through Windows Update.

So if you also want to restrict automatic Windows 10 upgrade in your Windows 7 computer, you just need to install the required update and then enable the policy using Group Policy Editor or Registry Editor and Windows 7 will never detect and download Windows 10 on your computer. Thus it'll never prompt you to upgrade to Windows 10 operating system.

If you want to disable Windows 10 upgrade in your Windows 7 computer, following steps will help you:

STEP 1:

First of all download and install the required update manually from following link:

Download KB3050265 Update for Windows 7 32-bit (x86)

Download KB3050265 Update for Windows 7 64-bit (x64)

This update is available for both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows 7 operating system. You can know which edition of Windows 7 are you using with the help of System Properties window in Control Panel.

STEP 2:

After installing the update, restart your computer and now you just need to enable the new policy to prevent Windows 10 upgrade.

You can apply the new policy using any of following 2 methods:

METHOD 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

Follow the simple steps mentioned below to enable the policy:

METHOD 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

1. Type gpedit.msc in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.

2. Now go to:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

3. In right-side pane, double-click on "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update" option, set it to Enabled.

Turn_Off_Latest_Windows_Version_Upgrade_Windows_7.png

4. Apply the changes and restart your computer.

Now Windows 7 will never prompt you about Windows 10 upgrade through Windows Update.

PS: If you decide to re-enable Windows 10 upgrade in future, double-click on "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update" option and set it to Not Configured.

METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

If you are using Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium edition, you'll not be able to run gpedit.msc command because these editions don't come with Group Policy Editor. But you can enable Group Policy Editor in these editions using this tutorial.

If you can't use or don't want to use Group Policy Editor, you can take help of Registry Editor for the same task. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

3. Create a new key under Windows key and set its name as Windows Update

4. Now in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 1

Disable_Windows_10_Upgrade_Windows_7.png

5. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer to take effect. After reboot, Windows 10 upgrade will never appear on Windows Update.

PS: To re-enable Windows 10 upgrade in future, delete the DWORD DisableOSUpgrade created in step 4.

NOTE: If you are not familiar with Registry editing tasks, we are also providing ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically. Download following ZIP file, extract it and run .REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it. Restart your computer and Windows 10 upgrade will be disabled in Windows 7:

Registry Script to Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade on Windows 7

PS: If you are using Windows 8.1 and want to prevent Windows 10 automatic upgrade, the methods mentioned in following article should work for you:

How to Disable Automatic Upgrade to Latest Windows Version in Windows 8 and 8.1

Also Check:

[Tip] Disable Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) Upgrade Notification in Windows 7
[Tip] Disable Telemetry and Data Collection on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1

http://www.askvg.com/microsoft-offers-a ... computers/
parkd1

Microsoft's leaked Windows Refresh tool lets you start anew in Windows 10

Post by parkd1 »

Yesterday, something went horribly wrong with my PC leaving me with no option but to use the Windows 10 Reset option to wipe all my programs and start over. It was the first time I’d had to use it, and things went smoothly enough, even if it took forever to get everything setup again afterwards.

The ability to Reset Windows 10 -- re-installing the OS while keeping, or removing your personal files -- is a great idea (although admittedly not as good as being able to install Windows over the top of itself as you could with XP), and now Microsoft is spinning it off into a standalone tool.

In Windows 10 you can access the Reset option in Update & Security > Recovery, or if, as in my case, you can’t get into Windows, by holding down Shift when restarting and going into Troubleshooting options.

To use the new standalone Refresh Windows tool all you have to do it run it and then choose if you want to keep your files or delete everything and start over from scratch. The tool will then download the latest version of Windows 10 from Microsoft and begin the installation process.

The obvious benefit of this method, over the built-in Reset function, is it will install the very latest build on your computer, so you don’t have to install updates afterwards.

Refresh Windows hasn’t been officially released yet, but you can download it directly from Microsoft here. However, there is a catch -- the new tool only works on Windows 10 Insider builds, although it will also work on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update when it’s released at the end of July.

http://betanews.com/2016/06/16/windows-10-refresh-tool/
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft's leaked Windows Refresh tool lets you start anew in Windows 10

Post by TheAPGuy »

ohh damn parkd1, it sounded like it was something that happened to you. Followed the link and it was the same text from the site. :P