Old Posted News

Place you can talk about other things not related to autopatcher.
ChrisJ

Re: Microsoft Installs New Update on Windows 7/8.1 to Nag About Windows 10 Upgrade

Post by ChrisJ »

In my not-so-humble opinion the tactic MicroSucks has taken with WinBloze 10 has been the opposite of lil' ole' reminders, it's basic harassment, spamming, an ongoing barrage of crapware posing as updates - and we pay money for this treatment. The amount of trouble they've caused people with users wasting time trying to avoid (or uninstall) these files is amazing. MicroSucks has went above & beyond to drive people 'away' from wanting to upgrade. I'm sure MS figures people are too stupid (they might be correct) and need a constant haranguing about how great their latest OS is, otherwise we'd miss out. Wait, I thought XP was the peach, no Vista, 7, 8, no - it's X! There's lots of sheep in the world and they usually march lockstep - and have MS-MVP branded on their a$$.
ChrisJ

Beware: KB3173040 WinX Nag!

Post by ChrisJ »

Last edited by ChrisJ on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link works
ChrisJ

Antivirus software is 'increasingly useless' and may make your computer less safe

Post by ChrisJ »

How to protect your data and devices in the post-antivirus age
By Emily Chung, CBC News Posted: Jul 08, 2016 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 09, 2016 9:55 AM ET

Is your antivirus protecting your computer or making it more hackable?

Internet security experts are warning that anti-malware technology is becoming less and less effective at protecting your data and devices, and there's evidence that security software can sometimes even make your computer more vulnerable to security breaches.

Read the full article here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/antiv ... -1.3668746

My Note: This article has numerous links to content related to the overall conclusion of AV tools in the 21st century, it's worth the time to read it all so you can come to your own conclusions. I don't think the conclusion should be use nothing, rather, use wisdom when surfing the internet, clicking links, clicking buttons on websites, downloading attachments, installing software... I provide the link to the story as FYI.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Antivirus software is 'increasingly useless' and may make your computer less safe

Post by TheAPGuy »

So true... fake virus alerts are getting better every day and people just click on them... <shakes head> They might even rely on AV software to fully protect them even if they click on a link or download a program that is bad. THAT's just ... silly. The AV software is your last line of defense... the rest of it is your intelligence.
DesertJerry

DotNet 5.1

Post by DesertJerry »

I should have mentioned these a couple of weeks ago - latest I've found are: Win7AndW2K8R2-KB3156424-x64.msu and Win7-KB3156424-x86.msu :D
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: DotNet 5.1

Post by Whatacrock »

Thank you DesertJerry for the info. :) :)
I will point out that this update is for Windows Management Framework and not dotNET (this would make the version numbers run in reverse).
This is a Preview release..
Will move to Other...
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
parkd1

Post by parkd1 »

Is there a link for this where we can check it out if we want to. Thanks
click-click
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by click-click »

I'm not young enough to know everything
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Microsoft Releases KB3161102 to Kill Off Windows Journal

Post by Whatacrock »

Microsoft Releases KB3161102 to Kill Off Windows Journal

Microsoft is shipping an update to Windows devices that’s removing Windows Journal, an application that was first introduced in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and that is still available today.

The main reason for this sudden decision is the growing number of security issues affecting Windows Journal, so Microsoft prefers to discontinue it completely rather than fix vulnerabilities every single month.

KB3161102 is now being shipped to Windows 7, 8.1, and Windows 10, and once installed, Windows Journal is completely gone.

“It's currently a component of all supported client versions of Windows through Windows 10 Version 1511. The file format that's used by Windows Journal (Journal Note File, or JNT) has been demonstrated to be susceptible to many security exploits. Therefore, Windows Journal will be removed from all versions of Microsoft Windows soon,” Microsoft says on the KB page of the update.
"Microsoft wants Windows Journal users to move to OneNote"

So what should you do next? The easiest solution is to move to OneNote, an application that Microsoft is actively supporting these days and that is already available on all platforms, including Windows and non-Windows (as well as mobile operating systems).

“This update lets users remove the Windows Journal component immediately. Because it is a more secure alternative to Windows Journal, we recommend that users download, install, and use Microsoft OneNote,” Microsoft notes.

But if OneNote isn’t really your cup of tea, Microsoft is also providing a downloadable version of Windows Journal, but you should be aware that this will be affected by the same security issues as the built-in flavor of the app. So although you install it manually, the security risks remain, and a notification informing you about these will be displayed upon launching the app.

Microsoft says that all users are recommended to install this update immediately, so if you’ve noticed it in Windows Update and don’t know what to do, this should lend you a hand to make a decision as soon as possible.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsof ... 7159.shtml
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Microsoft Releases KB3161102 to Kill Off Windows Journal

Post by Whatacrock »

With that said there are 2 Security Updates in Widows Seven and 8.1 which can be ignored (will be deleted in the next couple of days).
These are KB3177725 and KB3155178. Still need to check in NonCritical for any others......