Old Posted News

Place you can talk about other things not related to autopatcher.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Microsoft Finally Kills Off the Infamous “Get Windows 10” App

Post by Whatacrock »

Just to be safe I would back up those folders some where just in case they get remove by the update -- remember to keep the filepath intact so you can restore them.
There is not a lot of information online about what the update uninstalls, we are kept in the DARK as usual.
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Microsoft Explains How Windows 7 and 8.1 Will Get Cumulative Updates

Post by Whatacrock »

Microsoft Explains How Windows 7 and 8.1 Will Get Cumulative Updates

Microsoft will make substantial changes to the way it delivers updates to Windows 7 and 8.1 computers tomorrow when it starts the rollout of this month’s Patch Tuesday, switching to a new servicing model that’s inspired by Windows 10.

Specifically, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 will start getting rollup updates every month, which are supposed to make it easier for users and IT admins to install them on Patch Tuesdays.

Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computers will get a security-only quality update every month, and this will be published as “Security Update” with a unique KB number. Additionally, there’ll be a security monthly quality rollup which is more of a monthly rollup containing all security fixes needed to bring a computer fully up to date.

“This will be published to Windows Update (where all consumer PCs will install it), WSUS, and the Windows Update Catalog. The initial monthly rollup released in October will only have new security updates from October, as well as the non-security updates from September,” Microsoft says.
"Non-security fixes"

And last but not least, there’ll be a third update that will include non-security fixes and which will be rolled on the third Tuesday of the month – this means that you’ll get it a week after Patch Tuesday.

“An additional monthly rollup containing a preview of new non-security fixes that will be included in the next monthly rollup, as well as fixes from all previous monthly rollup. This can also be called the ‘preview rollup,’” Microsoft explained.

This third update will transition to a cumulative update with every new month, as older fixes will be added to the archive when newer ones become available. This means that installing the latest version always brings your computer fully up-to-date.

All these changes take place this month, and IT admins are strongly recommended to read all the changes happening to Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs, especially if they have systems running these OS versions in their networks. All changes are included in the box after the jump.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsof ... 9130.shtml
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Re: Microsoft Explains How Windows 7 and 8.1 Will Get Cumulative Updates

Post by Whatacrock »

Will see how this pans out with respect to the Autopatcher releases.....
DesertJerry

Re: 7-Zip vulnerability...

Post by DesertJerry »

If it matters, latest 7Zip is 16.04
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

It makes updating easier, a lot of reading still required to find the superseded updates, but them's the breaks !!!
John_in_Mtl

Post by John_in_Mtl »

Hello AutoPatcher developers and maintainers,

As you may already have read, there are now two types of updates, the "Security Monthly Quality Rollup" and the "Security Only Quality Update". From what I read in your various windows 7 and 8.1 threads about the updates, for example: AutoPatcher Windows 7 (x64) Updates; you have opted to point AP to the "Security Monthly Quality Rollup" (KB3185330) instead of the "Security Only Quality Update" (KB3192391). Already, having to choose between the two is a notable and problematic dilemma! Choosing the first covers all bases and probably most users.

For the future of AP, are there any plans on your end to add some option in AP to download --EITHER-- the "Security Monthly Quality Rollup" --OR-- the "Security Only Quality Update" packages? Of course, the current problem is that the "Security Only Quality Update" is only available in the MS Catalog and I think that linking to that from AP is problematic.

Why an either/or? There are a lot of people like myself who would like to only install the security patches and dispense with the rest in those "rollups" as they often have not much added value to an otherwise mature system like windows 7. From now on whenever I build or rebuild a system, with the the way AP is currently built, I'll have to use only it for all the patches up to september 2016; then I'll have to go to the MS Catalog and download the monthly security only package and install it manually. Two operations... no big deal in a way but it would be nice if I could continue using only AP to patch the new systems!

So what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@John_in_Mtl --- firstly welcome to the forums.

As this is the initial release of the new Updates format, I made the decision to go with KB3185330. We will need to discuss with more members and the programmer to see if the options method would be feasible. But do remember that these updates are much greater in file size and downloading both will quickly bloat the current release. There is also those that do not have a fast connection, so downloading both would take up so much online time..In time these will become cumulative, one month superseding the previous, this will hopefully slow the release size.
Why an either/or? There are a lot of people like myself who would like to only install the security patches and dispense with the rest in those "rollups" as they often have not much added value to an otherwise mature system like windows 7.
This already occurs --- the Non Security Rollups are optional and remain so.

Any members with thoughts on the subject do be heard...
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 7-Zip vulnerability...

Post by TheAPGuy »

opps missed this somehow.

New update for AP out. 6.2.9.1 It will not show as red since there is not an update for AP (yet). Just force the download and you will get the new 7zip.
John_in_Mtl

Post by John_in_Mtl »

Whatacrock wrote:
Why an either/or? There are a lot of people like myself who would like to only install the security patches and dispense with the rest in those "rollups" as they often have not much added value to an otherwise mature system like windows 7.
Yes, the Non Security Rollups are optional but they now have to be ferreted out by finding reference to them in a KB article or a security bulletin and then downloaded from the Microsoft Catalog. To me, this partly defeats the purpose and usefulness of AutoPatcher, which is to get all the patches in one place using one tool, AP.
John_in_Mtl

Post by John_in_Mtl »

John_in_Mtl wrote:
Whatacrock wrote:
Yes, the Non Security Rollups are optional but they now have to be ferreted out by finding reference to them in a KB article or a security bulletin and then downloaded from the Microsoft Catalog. To me, this partly defeats the purpose and usefulness of AutoPatcher, which is to get all the patches in one place using one tool, AP.
Gawd!! :oops: another senior moment LOL: My bove statement is totally backwards, its the Security Rollups that have to be ferreted out in the Microsoft Catalog, not the other set, which is available thru Windows Update. :oops: How did I ever manage to get it mixed up all of a sudden. Work overload I suppose!