A Bit Quiet in Here

Place you can talk about other things not related to autopatcher.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Bit Quiet in Here

Post by TheAPGuy »

Yup... sure is.
ChrisJ

Re: A Bit Quiet in Here

Post by ChrisJ »

+1

I was surprised nobody acknowledged my follow-up in Extras, not really important but it was conversation of sorts :) I read the forums but I haven't seen anyone logged in for quite some time so I haven't either.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I saw that but, I figured WAC would see it and comment. I actually have not been able to contact him in a while. Kind of worried about him. Duno if he lost internet or had some kind of medical problem. I think I remember him commenting a few times about how bad his internet can be at times.
LittlBUGer

Post by LittlBUGer »

I too just noticed how few new posts there are here after waiting a couple months for AutoPatcher to be updated with the latest patches. I hope this doesn't mean there's a serious decline where AutoPatcher will be no more, as that would be disappointing. Kind of feels almost like when UBCD4Win started to decline back in the day, but I really hope not. I still use this on a semi-regular basis.

If there's anything I can do to help, even with my limited time, please let me know. :)
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I LOVED UBCD4WIN! I still have a dvd or two with it around.

Without WAC looks like we are on hard times. He was the main guy for updating the scripts. I really, really, really, should finish work on making the new scripting tool to make it easy for anyone to do it without screwing up.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

Without WAC looks like we are on hard times. He was the main guy for updating the scripts.

Regardless if he does any more updating maybe he'll atleast stop by to let us know he's doing OK.

I really, really, really, should finish work on making the new scripting tool to make it easy for anyone to do it without screwing up.

I hope this gets done, I'd like to see how exactly it's supposed to work.
LittlBUGer

Post by LittlBUGer »

TheAPGuy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:17 am I LOVED UBCD4WIN! I still have a dvd or two with it around.

Without WAC looks like we are on hard times. He was the main guy for updating the scripts. I really, really, really, should finish work on making the new scripting tool to make it easy for anyone to do it without screwing up.
Yea, I loved being a big part of that project as well, it was a really great CD. I've chatted with Ben a few times over the years and he seems to be doing well. I tried getting a backup of the forum for archival purposes since it contained loads of good information but he said he never made a backup and it essentially vanished once the site died. Sad times, but at least the spirit of it still lives on with projects like Win7PE SE using WinBuilder and other similar tools at the reboot.pro forums.

I hope you guys can get things figured out. If there's anything I can do, please let me know. :)
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

ChrisJ wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:30 amI hope this gets done, I'd like to see how exactly it's supposed to work.
I am hoping it will be very similar to this process...
  • Open existing/new script
  • If it is a new script you need to tell it where it will be stored on the server otherwise you will not be prompted
  • Click add new download OR you can tell it to check all the downloads for changes or simply click the checkbox for the ones you want checked. It will alter all hash/sizes in the script if it finds differences.
  • Give it the URL and name the download
  • It will download the file and size/hash it and add it to the script.
  • it will ask you if you want to create an APM when it is finished. If you select yes it will provide you a basic apm which you can alter. (after I get that version out I will improve it to be more GUI friendly. Less stuff you would need to research as it will be a checkbox, edit box, or a drop down menu. All with hints if you hover the mouse over it.)
  • The APMS will be gathered and zipped and also added to the script and hashed/sized
  • Pat yourself on the back because the work is now 95% done.
  • Give the script and apm zip to somone who can look it over, sign it for you, and upload them.
This of course does not account for pre-actions such as downloading things and running batch files from the script. That will still be a completely manual thing and not messed with by the script.

In the end I still want to move over to the APM 2.0 model where you store all the information in each apm for a particular KB update. Each KB update, as you know, can have multiple downloads. APM 2.0 model lets you have as many downloads listed for the KB as you want all in the same file. You would start up the app and it will automagically call up the server and ask for the latest APM zip list (no more scripts for you to select) and it will then generate a download tree based on the APMs downloaded for you to select to download/install there will be two check boxes for each download(download and install). At the top of the screen there will be a way to "target" an OS or if you don't it will only download what is fit for your current PC. All that is a long term project though.
older-than-dirt

Post by older-than-dirt »

Still pretty quiet here..
Does anyone have any info that they can share as to the likelihood of any of the OSs being updated in the future?

Thanks,
OTD.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Soon... I hurt my back 3 weeks ago and everything stopped at that point. My little program for assisting people in making scripts stopped too... kinda hard to do it when you can not sit up at your desk for more then a hand full of minutes(unless drugged out; at which point you probably shouldn't be doing anything that requires concentrating).

Anyways... The part of the program that is usable for copy pasting into scripts is nearly finished. Working out a bug at the moment. 2-3 days tops. Its an intermittent infuriating bug.