Old Posted News

Place you can talk about other things not related to autopatcher.
parkd1

Re: Microsoft Officially Launches DirectX 12

Post by parkd1 »

I really hope MS Ports this to Windows 7 too. I think DX 12 may fail if is Windows 8 only cause lots of people hate Windows 8.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I am hoping it will work for Windows 7 but, probably not Vista. They are going to pull the same stunt they did with Vista and DX10. They will purposefully not "support" older OS so they get gamers to want to switch to win 8+
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

A good bet is that it will not be supporting by Windows 7, as per what happened with DirectX 11.1 (Win 8).... we will see however !!
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Softpedia News Articles

Post by Whatacrock »

Instead of posting the story here with a link to it, thought it would wiser just to post the link so that you can read for yourselves.

Link here : http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Wind ... 3601.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows- ... 3590.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows- ... 3572.shtml
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Softpedia News Articles

Post by TheAPGuy »

Wow M$... Thats just low. "You install our OneNote OR the desktop will have a blank tile and customers will be confused and get angry! Don't forget to make sure they KNOW its 8.1 SP1 UPDATE!"
Paul Stenning

Re: Windows XP Still Refuses to Die

Post by Paul Stenning »

My main client has eight new Windows 7 PCs on order, plus six Windows 7 upgrade licenses to upgrade the existing ones that are good enough spec. My job in early April is sorting this lot out, then sending a pile of older PCs off for recycling...
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

A task that lots of people will have endure... why send the older pcs off for recycling, make uses for them, just because the Operating System is being retired doesn't mean to give older machines the "big heave ho" !!!
Paul Stenning

Post by Paul Stenning »

We have no use for that many old PCs. They will be going to a computer recycling charity http://www.jamies.org.uk/ so will hopefully be refurbished and resold.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

That is a good thing to do... you could also use the ones that have lower power needs as a linux server and/or firewall. I used to use a really old old laptop... you know... the ones that still had floppys as a firewall.
Paul Stenning

Post by Paul Stenning »

My client is based in a different part of the country to me so the aim is to have it as easy to look after from afar as possible. Their current Windows XP setup has served them well for many years. Work is stored on a NAS drive (two disks in RAID 1) with daily backups to USB drives that are swapped around and stored in different places. The whole lot is behind a router and a separate hardware firewall, and all PCs run ESET EndPoint Antivirus.

Over half the team do eCommerce customer services and dispatch etc so a lot of their work is online in the website admin systems and email (Firefox and Thunderbird), with basic office stuff using LibreOffice. In practice some of them could probably use Linux systems, but Windows is familiar and thus causes less support issues. A local chap there helps with simpler issues, and for anything major they swap to a spare PC and send the problem one to me to fix.

Some of the older PCs are beginning to have minor issues now, so time to move on. They are 8-10 years old and are normally left on 24/7 so have done well. I will be hanging onto a couple of the better redundant ones as test boxes etc, and hopefully Jamie's can make good use of the rest.