Old Posted News

Place you can talk about other things not related to autopatcher.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Microsoft Says Windows 7 Has Outdated Security, Wants You to Move to Windows 10

Post by Whatacrock »

Microsoft Says Windows 7 Has Outdated Security, Wants You to Move to Windows 10

Windows 10 is now running on more than 20 percent of the world’s desktop computers, and yet, Microsoft’s bigger challenge isn’t necessarily to boost the market share of its latest operating system, but to convince those on Windows 7 to upgrade.

Even with Windows 10 on the market, Windows 7 continues to be the preferred desktop operating system across the world, and third-party data shows that it’s still close to 50 percent market share.

With Windows 7 support coming to an end in 3 years, Microsoft is well aware that it could very well experience another Windows XP moment when users might refuse to upgrade despite the obvious security risks.

So it shouldn’t come as a big surprise that Microsoft has already started the offensive against Windows 7, with a blog post published by the German subsidiary of the software giant pointing to the setbacks of this old operating system as compared to Windows 10.
"“Windows 10, the better option”"

In just a few words, Microsoft says that Windows 7 doesn’t come with the security features needed to cope with today’s threats, at the same time adding that Windows 10 has what it takes to keep users secure.

“Windows 7 is based on outdated security architecture,” Microsoft says. “Companies and users who won’t upgrade from Windows 7 within the next three years are facing enormous dangers,” the company continues as per an approximate Google Translate English version of the post (via Myce).

Microsoft then goes on to praise Windows 10 and the security improvements that are part of the operating system, while also emphasizing that the new hardware is specifically designed to work on this version. The firm also highlights Windows 10 features, such as Windows Ink, Edge browser, and Cortana.

Without a doubt, it will be hard for Microsoft to convince Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 10, especially when taking into account that most of those sticking with this version previously refused a free upgrade offer.

On the other hand, this is just the beginning of Microsoft’s efforts to move users off Windows 7, so expect more such posts in the coming months.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsof ... 1835.shtml
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft Says Windows 7 Has Outdated Security, Wants You to Move to Windows 10

Post by TheAPGuy »

I expect a few "updates" will cause "issues" with program compatibility down the line.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Microsoft Reduces Size of “Security Only” Update with Separate IE Patch

Post by Whatacrock »

Microsoft Reduces Size of “Security Only” Update with Separate IE Patch

In late 2016, Microsoft decided to adopt a new update approach for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, switching from individual patches to a rollup model split into three different parts: Security Monthly Quality Update (also referred to as Monthly Rollup), a Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup (known as Preview Rollup), and a Security Only Quality update (called Security Only update).

Starting with February 2017, the company is introducing a new change that should help the firm deliver security rollups that are smaller in size and hence easier to deploy for the majority of users.

Updates for Internet Explorer will no longer be included in the Security Only update starting next month, and Microsoft says that this way, the size of the update should drop substantially.
"Cumulative update for IE shipping separately"

This, however, means that users need to install Internet Explorer security updates separately, and while this whole process is supposed to produce a good change, it can actually complicate things even further for those who hoped to get everything all automatically (users who don’t want to deploy the Security Only update and the IE patches separately can install the Monthly Rollup that includes both).

“With this separation, the Security Only update package size will be significantly reduced, but you will need to deploy and install the Internet Explorer update to remain secure for the latest supported version of the browser. Note that the Internet Explorer update will not install or upgrade to the latest supported version of Internet Explorer if not already present,” Microsoft explains.

“To simplify installation for Monthly Rollup users, the new Internet Explorer update will leverage the same installation applicability definition as the Security Only update (explained above), meaning that it will not install on a PC that has already installed the Monthly Rollup (or Preview Rollup) from the same or later month.”

The Internet Explorer security update will be released on Patch Tuesday as well and will include patches for IE11 and IE10 on Windows Server 2012. The Preview Rollup will continue to be shipped on the third Tuesday of the month.

For more information on what’s included in these updates and when they are supposed to ship, you can consult the graph included in the article.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsof ... 1843.shtml
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Let’s Chat: Is Windows 7 Really Outdated?

Post by Whatacrock »

Let’s Chat: Is Windows 7 Really Outdated?

Microsoft is trying to convince everyone to upgrade to Windows 10, and after offering the operating system free of charge in the first 12 months of availability, the company is now trying a different tactic aimed directly at Windows 7 users

The firm says that Windows 7 has “outdated security,” explaining in a blog post that only Windows 10 can deal with today’s security threats and no matter how hard you’d try, you still can’t make Windows 7 just as secure as this latest Windows version.

The post was made on the company’s German blog, which is a bit surprising given that no English version was published, but it still shows that Microsoft is already preparing its arsenal for moving users off Windows 7.

“Windows 7 is based on outdated security architecture,” Microsoft says. “Companies and users who won’t upgrade from Windows 7 within the next three years are facing enormous dangers.”
"Windows 7 end of support"

Judging from third-party data provided by market research firm, Windows 7 continues to be the number one operating system on the desktop, despite the aggressive push for Windows 10.

Windows 7 is now running on nearly 48 percent of PCs worldwide, while Windows 10 is the runner-up with about 24 percent. While Windows 7 indeed lost market share because of the arrival of Windows 10, it’s still the dominant operating system on the desktop, running on nearly 1 in 2 PCs across the globe.

With Windows 7 support coming to an end in January 2020, Microsoft doesn’t want to experience another Windows XP moment, so it’s starting the struggle to upgrade users a lot earlier. Although Windows XP no longer receives updates since 2014, it’s still running on 9 percent of the world’s PCs.

And given that so many people are still on Windows 7, we decided to ask you two simple questions, so make sure you post your answers in the box below:

First of all, is Windows 7 really outdated when it comes to security? And second, do you plan on upgrading to Windows 10 before support for Windows 7 ends in 2020?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/let-s-ch ... 2068.shtml
DesertJerry

Re: Let’s Chat: Is Windows 7 Really Outdated?

Post by DesertJerry »

Here's what I'm presently running on my #1 system;

XP Pro x64 w/SP2
Windows 7 Ultimate v6.1 b7601.23572 w/SP1 + Cumulative
Windows 10 Pro v1607 Build 14393.577 (Win 8.1 updated)
Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview v1607 Build 15014.1000

When comparing the three latest versions I find Win7 to be a much better program to use.

XP is nice as a comparison but it's not being updated and security has become an issue.

My assumption is that sooner or later we will all be forced to move to 10, despite our desires.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Indeed. It is to note though that direct x 12, M$'s main way to push gamers to go to windows 10, is a COMPLETE flop. It actually make games run slower. So they appear to be hurting a bit there. If you look at the alternative to it called Vulkan(openGL's baby), it just rips out Direct X's jugular and craps down it.
parkd1

Mysterious Windows 10 update has users scratching their heads in confusion

Post by parkd1 »

Earlier today, Microsoft pushed out a new update for Windows 10. Since updates are mandatory in the new OS, it’s likely you already have it installed.

So what does it do? Microsoft isn’t saying. There’s no detailed information on its purpose, and the vague descriptions that do exist are conflicting.

You might be interested in knowing exactly what updates Microsoft is pushing on to your system -- but Microsoft doesn’t think you need to know. Because, Microsoft.

Today’s mysterious update is KB3211320. Windows 10 describes it thusly:

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows.

Well, that’s helpful.

If you’re interested in finding out its purpose, click the link above to be taken to the knowledgebase page. Except, naturally, there’s nothing to see there. "This page doesn’t exist" is all you’ll be told.

The Microsoft Update Catalog page says KB3211320 is a servicing stack update for the new OS that replaces the October 2016 updates KB3199986 and KB3199209.

However, on the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary page it’s described as a critical patch for Microsoft Edge, identified as MS17-001.

So, which is it, Microsoft?

All signs point to KB3211320 being a servicing stack update, but wouldn’t it be nice if Microsoft would say what an update actually is before forcing it upon us?

https://betanews.com/2017/01/25/mysteri ... 10-update/
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

[q]My assumption is that sooner or later we will all be forced to move to 10, despite our desires.[/q]

Ain't gonna here -- will run a Linux host and Windows Seven in a VM
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

I will run WinX when Hell freezes over and the Devil is seen ice-skating by no less than three accredited witnesses. I'll transition to Linux first.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

lmao. I used to agree but, I got that free license thing when M$ had the deal. I visit the OS often now, and I duno... I know its not as good as win7 but, it does run faster... and on more hardware then 7 can. Take that as my 2 cents. (I frigging HATE the start menu though!!!!)

Did I mention it is the best when it comes to mini computers for children? I installed it for my brothers NUC. I set the OS to E-Mail me weekly on what the kids are playing and sites they visit, and even set a time limit they can use it per day/per account.