Windows 8.1 Update 1

Windows 8 And All Its Sub Releases. Both (x86) And (x64)
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Windows 8.1 Update 1

Post by Whatacrock »

As time is drawing closer to the official release of Update 1 for Windows 8.1 thought is was time to throw the cards on the table as how this is to be best approached concerning autopatcher..

First Option: Create a separate script just for the Update thus allowing the user the decision to download and install at their convenience
Having thought it over some, this would be a wiser move as the releases themselves are of sizable downloads at the moment, Win8.1 x64 @ 757 Mb and Win 8.1 x86 @ 453 Mb. This would be grossly exaggerated if the Update were included in the release, from figures posted around on various websites it would appear that Win 8.1 x64 Update 1 is approximately 770 Mb and Windows 8.1 x86 is 360 Mb.

Second Option: most obvious is the Update 1 be included in the current scripts !!!

Third Option: Allow systems to download via Windows Update

Would like to hear from users their opinions and ideas on the matter
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8.1 Update 1

Post by TheAPGuy »

Just my opinion but, I would rather not include the update in the script. I would rather the SP update be part of the users responsibility as it is currently with the scripts.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Agrred, after testing the waters on Windows 8.1 x86 with the leaked release of Update 1 it would create a tough challenge to say the least.

The updates need to be installed in a specific order and all but 2 require a restart after installing. The updates themselves check the system to see if the preceding update is installed and continue... time tested and it took approximately 18 minutes to complete the process..
DesertJerry

Post by DesertJerry »

Win8.1 Update 1 will be released 08 April.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Thanks DesertJerry, looks as though users of 8.1 are going to be busy downloading updates this coming Patch Tuesday..
DesertJerry

Post by DesertJerry »

Microsoft has stated that Win8.1 Update 1 will be the baseline for all future updates/patches/security etc - I'm guessing that all APM's for Win8 or 8.1 will have to be removed/updated to conform to the new baseline. If I remember correctly this change becomes effective for Patch Tuesday next month
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@DesertJerry -- from what I have observed after installing the Update, the current detections in autopatcher work fine, so at this time there is no need to do anything to them.

You are correct that the change becomes the baseline effective on next Patch day, that is why MS are pushing for all users to apply the "UPDATE" before this date, if you do not however you will find that Windows Update will not deliver the new updates for your system..
DesertJerry

Post by DesertJerry »

Win8 installed? Did you upgrade to Win8.1 using Microsoft Updates? Would you like to burn a DVD or create a flash drive with Win8.1? (Save time if an new installation is required.)

Here: http://betanews.com/2014/11/10/how-to-u ... ash-drive/

and/or

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... resh-media

Downloads are large: 32bit is 2.5+Gb and 64 bit is 3.3+Gb - high speed connection (100Mbps) here took about ten minutes - have fun with slower. :D