Windows 7x64 SP1 - AutoPatcher Hangs

Windows 7 Releases Both (x86) And (x64)
Ayelwen

Windows 7x64 SP1 - AutoPatcher Hangs

Post by Ayelwen »

First I should say, this is the first time I've ever used AP. I've tried using it because I left 2 laptops and 1 desktop "Checking for Updates" since 1pm on friday and it is now 4:40pm on monday and they are still just "Checking" continuously.

So, I went through all the hoops earlier today, resetting WUA and everything
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2098429/ ... pdate.html
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/10/18/fix-wi ... ate-agent/

Not matter, it never changes. It stays stuck. So, I found AutoPatcher, hoping it can get some updates installed to get it past whatever hump is busted in Windows (FYI, these installs all came from the manufacturer, 2 from dell and 1 from HP).

However, AutoPatcher too, just sits there at 1% on one of the PCs and 6% on the other, never budging. My guess here is that its an update that doesn't apply to the system or something (other results in this forum). So, Is there a better way to pick which updates to install because I don't have these KB's memorized or know which ones are valid for my system or not..

Thank you in advance.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7x64 SP1 - AutoPatcher Hangs

Post by TheAPGuy »

The freezing updates is actually a common (last 5-7 months) thing on first time installs. There are a few updates that will finish installing but, never quit. Autopatcher waits for the update to quit before trying to install the next update. So it will seem to be frozen.

Some people have reported that turning off windows auto update stops the freezes during updates. Instructions in spoiler. Probably a good idea to re-enable it after the updates are installed.
► Show Spoiler
If you can see what update AP freezes on MAKE A NOTE OF IT, and pass it on to me so I can put in a kill switch based timer for them. Anyways all you have to do to get AP to move again is kill the update engine via task manager after waiting a good while to make sure the update IS installed (less/no hard drive activity then when the updates were installing).

I have my own quote somewhere but I can not find it at the moment so here is another user who does the same thing...
rgnestle wrote:I have found, with my Win7 Home Premium 32 bit system, that the wusa.exe is what causes the hang-up at 97, 98, and 99% on all of the installations I attempt. When I End Process via the Task Manager, the update finishes with no apparent harm to the installation.

If you are having similar trouble, run Autopatcher and get to the screen where it is actually installing the update. Then open the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del / Start Task Manager option) and right-click "wusa.exe" on the list. Choose End Process and hit Enter when the new query window opens.

The installation should finish immediately. Now if I can only find out how to fix my corrupted wusa.exe and Win7 Update....

Best wishes!
mrdummy

Post by mrdummy »

Confirmed with disabling Windows Update. Here fresh install W7 SP1 x64. It hangs already with first 1 of 120.

I have also WSUSOffline, this tool hangs too with Windows Update enabled.
After disabling, i let reboot it to make sure its unloaded.

Now Autopatcher will continue without problem.

And yes, too bad the classic Windows Update stays forever in searching loop. Only with Autopatcher (or WSUSOffline) we can proceed with Windows 7 update. That is because first version Windows Update is too old. Once Windows Update is upgraded, then searching is not more forever.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

You can try disabling Windows Update and not having the machine connected to the internet. This has been successful at this end.
Another thing that may help is to install manually the update, thus eliminating it from the long list of Critical files that require installing.

One thing further to add, once you have run the initial checked list, make a note of those updates that are still requiring to be installed, then attempt to manually install these, some may install but the remainder will NOT be applicable to your system.

One further note aimed to TheAPGuy, we could collect data from the users and if there are a lot of users with the same update that is not applicable, then the update can be safely removed from the release. This would save time for the users by eliminating updates that are not required. Just a thought....
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Well... that would be a pain on the programming end. However if people reported the ones that are not applicable that would work.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

I put it forward that users report and if common updates are reported then these can be removed from the releases.

To get the ball rolling here are the ones from my desktop and laptop, still need to run the netbook which will do in a short while

Desktop: KB2619339; KB2803821; KB3023607; KB3072633; KB3087039; KB3080446; KB3097966; KB3081320; KB3097877; KB3126593; KB3126446;
VMs on this system both show KB3023607 (starting a pattern here)

Laptop: KB3023607; KB3121461; KB3153171;

Netbook: still to come

A note to add: desktop and laptop are x64 whilst netbook is x86.....UPDATE --- forgot that it runs Windows Seven Starter x86
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
techgump

Post by techgump »

New install Win 7 Ultimate x64. Had the same issue. After downloading the updates, I disabled my network adapter, restarted the PC, and then ran the install immediately upon reboot. Worked like a charm.
qlx77

Post by qlx77 »

The spoiler here below - deactivating all settings in Windows Update - fixed the problem.

Thank you !

(My problem was the installation in AutoPatcher always stuck at 97-99%)

Best regards,

Hughes

TheAPGuy wrote:The freezing updates is actually a common (last 5-7 months) thing on first time installs. There are a few updates that will finish installing but, never quit. Autopatcher waits for the update to quit before trying to install the next update. So it will seem to be frozen.

Some people have reported that turning off windows auto update stops the freezes during updates. Instructions in spoiler. Probably a good idea to re-enable it after the updates are installed.
► Show Spoiler