Three issues with AutoPatcher 6.1.31

Requests for help go in here.
IrateOverlord

Three issues with AutoPatcher 6.1.31

Post by IrateOverlord »

I am having a problem where windows update never finishes searching for updates (never presents a list to install or an error message), so I thought I would give this program a try. It seems great but I am having some issues.

1. Installed updates are not marked complete. When I search for updates and go to install, there are like 160 updates it wants to install. Then I run sweeper. Next time I run the program, there are the same 160 updates and none are marked installed. Out of the whole list, one is in blue, and I'm not sure if it was already blue before the first time I ran the program or not.
2. The first update on the list (number ends in 641) hangs at 97% and never completes. if I run it by itself, it installs right away, but then per #1, is back on the list next time I run the program.
3. When I install updates, if I look under Windows Updates, it isnt showing any of them as installed.

The system is a fresh install of Vista x86, SP2 is installed. Basically all I've done so far is install vista, install sp2, install wifi driver, install firefox, activate windows and now I'm trying to get it updated.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Three issues with AutoPatcher 6.1.31

Post by TheAPGuy »

Sounds like you need THIS: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... iness-tool

Try this... then try the updates again. Its possible that each one your updates are crapping out instead o' installing. Windows installs don't report success or errors when the are done running. They just create a log and in that log spew a ton o' text.
IrateOverlord

Post by IrateOverlord »

That looks interesting, I'll give it a shot. I've previously found something on microsofts site that address something similar, but it was a page that had a button that says "Fix It" and downloads a program that I ran (which didn't fix anything), but I haven't seen this one yet.
IrateOverlord

Post by IrateOverlord »

Well, I'm running the tool and it shows green scrolly bar and is saying "Searching for updates..." for the like the past 1/2 hr.
IrateOverlord

Post by IrateOverlord »

Finally had to abort the tool. But when I rebooted, it finally showed that I needed 182 updates. So I told it to install, now its been sitting on "Downloading 185 updates (0 KB total, 0% complete)" for well over an hour.

Below that, it is saying:

Most recent check for updates: Today at 12:00 AM
Updates were installed: Never
You receive updates: For Windows only.

Before the most recent check was "Never"
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

That tool is supposed to wipe out the update download folder as well as the update database. When the update tool starts again it is supposed to refresh itself. You not letting it finish. I duno what the effects would be. You could try running it one more time. Last time I had that problem the tool took care of it for me. Yes it took for ever but, I just let it sit there for hours while I did other things. (I don't know how long it actually took since I didn't watch it.)

Also... you could try manually installing the updates to update windows update.
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

Windows Vista can be a real pig when running "Check for Updates", I believe it has something to do with the Windows Update Agent. Many a time reinstalling Vista on friend's machine, after running Autopatcher to install updates, then enable Windows Update to finish off it takes for ever to get started. I just leave it alone and check back periodically until it has updated.

UPDATE: Did some searching and lo and behold found download links for a standalone installer for Windows Update Agent. This previously was not available. The Version is 7.6.7600.320. Remember that this is the base version as there are updates available for this..

Links for standalone installers.
x86
http://download.windowsupdate.com/windo ... .6-x86.exe

x64
http://download.windowsupdate.com/windo ... .6-x64.exe

Link to support article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

A note: Now we have a standalone maybe this should be included in the Common Modules.....

Before downloading the standalone installer, best to check the file version of the installed. Location for the file is C:\Windows\system32\Wuaueng.dll, and then click Properties.
Click the Details tab, and then locate the file version number. The latest version of the Windows Update Agent for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP is 7.6.7600.256.
If the File Version is 7.6.7600.320, then not required the download the installer.

If required to install, then download from link provided above.
To install this you must "run as administrator"
A quick way to do this (cheat method), create a shortcut on your desktop for the download. Right click Properties, edit the Target by adding the following " /quiet /norestart /wuforce" (without the quotes) after the filename.
The Target should look like this C:\Users\********\Downloads\WindowsUpdateAgent-7.6-x86.exe /quiet /norestart /wuforce
Once done click Apply and OK.
To deploy right click and "Run as Administrator".... done

Start Windows Update, sit back and relax, this may or not fix your Windows Update issues. Please report your findings
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"