Windows 10 Updates

The Crow

Re: Windows 10 Updates

Post by The Crow »

Seeing this has been ongoing for over a year now, with people offering to create such scripts we're still nowhere near with any created scripts for Windows 10

I have been working on the scripts for Windows 10 over the festive period, as far as I'm aware with extensive testing via VMware I currently have no issues installing or detecting installed updates so it's looking pretty good.

For those who wish to try out the newly created scripts, you may find in your Autopatcher logs that there have been some unofficial files found. This is due to the current newly created scripts need to be signed to make them official and to remove the reported warnings.

I don't have a signing tool as of yet to sign the scripts off to add the status as official, these reported warnings are in no way a bug within the scripts and will be sorted shortly.

Please use the following link for now to view / download the Windows 10 releases http://www.bodrpg.net/apup/releases.list

On a side note there are multiple releases, the standalone versions of the scripts are for the majority of home users. The standalone update contains all cumulative updates released for that month, whereas the rest of the scripts contain all previously released cumulative updates since Windows 10 was released, these "other" updates are designed for administrators / pc builders etc which may require different build versions for software compatibility reasons etc

Guide to change default Autopatcher download list to http://www.bodrpg.net/apup/releases.list

Please report any found bugs here if any are encountered, I will take a look and try correct any reported issues found

I have bundled all cumulative updates for all Windows 10 Build versions into their respective 32bit and 64bit scripts, within the install menu only select the update appropriate to your Windows 10 build number, selecting any other update not applicable to your system will result in the installer failing silently

I'm not sure if The ApGuy can add build auto detection and add a switch within .apm files I can use to show only the applicable updates for the respective detected build, this could help solve confusions for less experienced users, and keep things nice and streamlined.

Guide to find Windows 10 Build Number

On a last side note all current release scripts only contain cumulative updates for now, until the Autopatcher community have checked created scripts for any bugs, other updates will be bundled / added to the next release if all goes well during Autopatcher Community testing

Hope you all enjoy the current scripts and future Windows 10 scripts to come
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Anyone who wants to use this... remember it is at your own risk.

With that said...
The links in the script seem to be legit M$ updates and the apm files I checked appear to be correct.

The Crow
Let me just say... good work. This looks nice. Provisionally this has my approval.
The build # is detected when I ask WMI the OS specs. I query the major and minor version of the OS. Its simple to also ask for the build in the same call as well
However its also currently possible to get that via registry detection
(key)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
(value)CurrentBuild

so to hide everything except 1607 it is...

[HideRegistry]
RegistryPath=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
KeyName=CurrentBuild
KeyValue=1507

KeyName=CurrentBuild
KeyValue=1511

Now it has been a while since anyone has used the hideregistry, so I don't know if it is bug free.
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

Tried the hide registry option on the 64bit Standalone and added the respective values to all .apm files which I wanted hiding from each of the build versions

I only tried this on the 1507 build VMware test installation atm, but the other updates designed for the other builds still show

On a side note I noticed within regedit ms isn't using 1507 CurrentBuild key value but is listed as 10240 for this version

I haven't checked the others yet and await your guidance, I know you said it hasn't been used in a while and maybe buggy
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

hmm so its is showing you the OS build instead of the build version...
ok I see... I checked mine (I was going off internet info before) and its actually at
(key)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
(value)Releaseid

Mine is reported as 1607

so...
[HideRegistry]
KeyName=Releaseid
KeyValue=1507

I will check the code sometime today to see if there may be any bugs around here...
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

Below a screenshot of what I currently see, this is for Windows 10 Version 1507 (Build 10240), which is the initial July 2015 RTM I believe which is the version my laptop was shipped with

IMAGE REMOVED FOR YOUR SAFETY

I don't see a key named Releaseid under this Windows 10 Version, maybe it's specific only to the 1511 and 1607 builds

I'm going to quickly add a Windows 10 Anniversary standalone, for those who wish to upgrade to a newer version who are still on the old versions

This would be a nice small standalone installer for those that may wish to use it, although if you use the ms download tool, it will already be included anyway

More or less designed for those with outdated installation media maybe, unless you find this as unneeded
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

@The Crow --- I too would like like say a job well done. I second the approval.

At long last some has submitted their work for Windows 10, I'm impressed.

:) :) :) :)
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

Thanks glad you both appreciate the Windows 10 releases. Might have to postpone the Anniversary Update standalone

I can't seem to find a link to a standalone installer, I thought it was like the rest of the updates but seems to be slipstreamed into ISO's only
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

hmm.. wonder if it is a difference from WinX Home and WinX Pro.
btw removed the image to protect you. Next time block out identifying information and your product ID.
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

not sure installing the Build 10240 (version 1507) in VMware and selected professional as I have all the MSDN ISO's so not a problem doing some testing

did you find any bugs within the reg key detection?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I added build detection into AP via WMI. It detects for me TEN_SP0_BN14393 instead of TEN_SP0_BN1607
hmm...
I suppose instead of build version you can detect via build numbers.

Attached is the new AP with the detection.

To use the detection

find in your APM's TEN_X64 and change to TEN_X64_BN(your build number here)

If you want a list of things nice to look at in your log... run AP with /debug. It will tell you things it detects.
Attachments
AutoPatcher.7z
(197.69 KiB) Downloaded 2672 times