Been a While

Announcements that may happen from time to time.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Been a While

Post by TheAPGuy »

Hey guys/gals, I am sorry that I basically dropped off the face of the earth for a while. I have had something happen that has pretty much taken the wind out of my programming sails. My sails have huge holes in them that can not be repaired. Lets just say that I am no longer mentally capable of such feats and leave it at that.

If anyone would like to step up, I am willing to support them with code, server space, and commentary on the code.
The Crow

Re: Been a While

Post by The Crow »

I may still be interested in a possible revival of autopatcher, all the scripts are at least 12 months + out of date now, so this won't be a 5 minute job getting back up and running, it may take a few months as a solo flyer.

Are you looking at retirement for good TheAPGuy ? The issue i'd have is actually expanding on the Autopatcher program for some features and detection i'd likely need in the near future.

I have some knowledge in html. css, jquery, php, mysql so I am a programatically orientated person, but wouldn't know how to expand on Autopatchers programming.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Programming wise... its mostly a permanent retirement. I can plug along at a very slow speed though.

As for the scripts; Ya they are a bit out of date. Most of the items still apply though, it would take some time to see what stays and what goes.

As for adding detections that should be relatively easy.

Also sorry for late reply forgot to hit "subscribe to this thread". I kept looking at it every few days but saw nothing.
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

Currently having issues updating and testing out the Windows 10 scripts, keep getting the following in autopatcher log after update installations I cannot seem to get rid of
Silent Error: Attempted to give prgTotalProgress a negative value or a value too high :100
Any ideas?, the update takes around 15 seconds installing manually without using autopatcher, I tried setting the times to 30, 45, 60 seconds to allow for a slower system but still encountering the error in the log.

On the green progress bar with the installation countdown timer, the install always gets to 100% before the time expires and doesn't hang at 99% if the time to install was too short

I am running the testing via vmware with fresh Windows 10 installation of 1803 version / build, it's happening with all 3 updates currently within the script

Full Autopatcher log below

Code: Select all

Autopatcher v6.2.22 ! ADMIN ! Has Started at 22/10/2018 06:31:05

Starting Autopatcher From C:\Users\test\Desktop\AutoPatcher for Windows 10 1803 (x86) October 2018

Checking if OCX Files are registered.

Checking if an update is already running.
Detected OS: English (1033) Microsoft Windows 10 Pro X86
Current Locale: English / Non-Unicode Default: English

checking for obsolete files...
Deleting File C:\Users\test\Desktop\AutoPatcher for Windows 10 1803 (x86) October 2018\temp_bin\apengine.rti
UNOFFICIAL: File 'C:\Users\test\Desktop\AutoPatcher for Windows 10 1803 (x86) October 2018\modules\ten_x86.apm' was found, but not mentioned by any RTI!

UNOFFICIAL: File 'C:\Users\test\Desktop\AutoPatcher for Windows 10 1803 (x86) October 2018\modules\ten_x86\ten_x86_1803.apm' was found, but not mentioned by any RTI!

UNOFFICIAL: File 'C:\Users\test\Desktop\AutoPatcher for Windows 10 1803 (x86) October 2018\modules\ten_x86\ten_x86_1803\KB4100347_ten_x86.apm' was found, but not mentioned by any RTI!

UNOFFICIAL: File 'C:\Users\test\Desktop\AutoPatcher for Windows 10 1803 (x86) October 2018\modules\ten_x86\ten_x86_1803\KB4462919_ten_x86.apm' was found, but not mentioned by any RTI!

UNOFFICIAL: File 'C:\Users\test\Desktop\AutoPatcher for Windows 10 1803 (x86) October 2018\modules\ten_x86\ten_x86_1803\KB4462930_ten_x86.apm' was found, but not mentioned by any RTI!

UNOFFICIAL: File 'C:\Users\test\Desktop\AutoPatcher for Windows 10 1803 (x86) October 2018\modules\ten_x86\ten_x86_1803\ten_x86_1803_files\Windows10.0-KB4100347-x86.MSU' was found, but not mentioned by any RTI!

UNOFFICIAL: File 'C:\Users\test\Desktop\AutoPatcher for Windows 10 1803 (x86) October 2018\modules\ten_x86\ten_x86_1803\ten_x86_1803_files\Windows10.0-KB4462919-x86.MSU' was found, but not mentioned by any RTI!

UNOFFICIAL: File 'C:\Users\test\Desktop\AutoPatcher for Windows 10 1803 (x86) October 2018\modules\ten_x86\ten_x86_1803\ten_x86_1803_files\Windows10.0-KB4462930-x86.MSU' was found, but not mentioned by any RTI!

Installing 2018-09 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x86-based Systems (KB4100347)
Silent Error: Attempted to give prgTotalProgress a negative value or a value too high :100

Autopatcher Is Terminating At 22/10/2018 06:31:23
Example Script apm below

Code: Select all

[AutoPatcher 5.6 Module]

[General]

Title=2018-09 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x86-based Systems (KB4100347)
Title_1030=2018-09 Opdatering til Windows 10 Version 1803 til x86-baserede systemer (KB4100347)
Title_1031=2018-09 Update für Windows 10 Version 1803 für x86-basierte Systeme (KB4100347)
Title_1032=2018-09 Ενημερωμένη έκδοση για τα Windows 10 έκδοση 1803 για x86 συστήματα (KB4100347)
Title_1040=Aggiornamento 2018-09 per Windows 10 versione 1803 per sistemi basati su x86 (KB4100347)
Title_1043=2018-09 Update voor Windows 10 versie 1803 voor x86-gebaseerde systemen (KB4100347)
Title_1046=Actualização 2018-09 para o Windows 10 versão 1803 para sistemas baseados em x86 (KB4100347)
Title_2070=Actualização 2018-09 para o Windows 10 versão 1803 para sistemas baseados em x86 (KB4100347)
Description=Install this update to resolve issues in Windows.
Description_1030=Installer denne opdatering for at løse problemer i Windows.
Description_1031=Installieren Sie dieses Update, um Probleme in Windows zu beheben.
Description_1032=Εγκαταστήστε αυτήν την ενημερωμένη έκδοση για να επιλύσετε ζητήματα στα Windows.
Description_1040=Installare questo aggiornamento per risolvere i problemi in Windows.
Description_1043=Installeer deze update om problemen in Windows op te lossen.
Description_1046=Instale esta atualização para resolver problemas no Windows.
Description_2070=Instale esta atualização para resolver problemas no Windows.
Author=Microsoft
ModuleAuthor=The Crow
WebPage=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/4100347
ReleaseDate=20180906

[Behavior]
ParentID=TEN_X86_TEN_X86_1803_PARENT
UniqueID=KB4100347_TEN_X86
Critical=True
Recommended=True
AutoExpand=False
Depends=
TimeToInstall=60
TimeToRemove=60
RequiresReboot=True
ModuleFolder=ten_x86_1803_files

[DetectionRegistry]
RegistryPath=
KeyName=
KeyValue=

[DetectionFile]
FilePath=windows:\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
FileName=Package_for_KB4100347~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~10.0.3.0.cat

[OperatingSystem]
WindowsVersion=TEN_X86_BN17134
SystemLanguage=ANY

[Installation]
"Module:\Windows10.0-KB4100347-x86.msu" /quiet /norestart
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

The silent error was a problem I kept having with the total progress bar occasionally getting over full. Some where, some how, it gets incremented a bit too much. It never goes over 101% though. It was a random bug that I could not reproduce. I could run the same script 10 times and get it once and still not see where in the code WHY it happened. It wasn't a deal breaker though, so I relegated it to a silent error to keep bugging me to figure it out some day. You won't see the silent error except with higher verbose settings.

IF your able to reproduce it reliably though... send me the exact files and I will see if I can get it to happen on my side. I have the same 1803 version (x64 though, if that matters).
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

I'll send the windows 10 1803 scripts over tonight at some point when I finish work

I need to quickly wrap up the x64 script, the scripts will need signing

All the previous windows 10 releases will need removing and a full ftp directory cleanup

I've changed quite a few things about

Is it possible to print the detected build version / number to the user underneath official / non official status or something?

I have an idea if it would work, can there be an extra button on download or install updates page to auto detect and download the correct scripts for the operating system build that's detected? Then have an option that shows updates for everything else

So download updates as it is now plus an additional button, like download updates for this pc?

I'd like to cater for all builds of windows 10, but not combine as one huge download to users that can take up a few gb downloading what a user doesn't need

For the non savy users that don't know their build number to make it more user friendly

I haven't encountered that error in Windows 10 x64 1803 yet as I haven't tested and finalised the script

But I can reliably produce it within windows 10 1803 x86 atm

The autodetect build and download updates for this pc would be a cool feature if it's at all possible, not sure how you'd pass in the correct url for the script that's needing the download

Also on a side note, can windows 10 home and pro be added to the detection set, so I'd use something like ten_x86_bnxxxx_pro etc?

I know you said you was looking at permanent retirement from the program, but any help beforehand is appreciated if at all possible

I don't mind tinkering with things and studying the code though
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

The Crow wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:27 pm I'll send the windows 10 1803 scripts over tonight at some point when I finish work

I need to quickly wrap up the x64 script, the scripts will need signing

All the previous windows 10 releases will need removing and a full ftp directory cleanup

I've changed quite a few things about
Is it possible to print the detected build version / number to the user underneath official / non official status or something?
It can do something similar now, sorta, running with /debug will net you a line in the log file that starts off with "environment.operatingSystem.Tag". In there you will find the entire windows detection string and in there will be |TEN_BN17763| which means windows build number and 17763 being the number.
but, I can see how that is helpful information. I will see about doing that.
I have an idea if it would work, can there be an extra button on download or install updates page to auto detect and download the correct scripts for the operating system build that's detected? Then have an option that shows updates for everything else
So download updates as it is now plus an additional button, like download updates for this pc?
I initially wanted something like that but, I decided that people who use this would generally be the kind that knew what they wanted and did not want to be coddled. It is also possible to setup autopatcher to auto download the files you want. VIA a config file you can setup what selections are always chosen and set autopatcher to auto which will always choose the files you don't already have or have changed.
But I can reliably produce it within windows 10 1803 x86 atm
interesting...
The autodetect build and download updates for this pc would be a cool feature if it's at all possible, not sure how you'd pass in the correct url for the script that's needing the download
All the program needs is the main URL. Once it can get that, it can detect what version of windows you have and compare to what the main list says about each script and download what you need with that. There is a setting in there we have been neglecting to use for a while. "WindowsVersion=" That would be the proper line to fill out. If I remember right... filling that out makes the files drop off the list (or grey out) if you do not have that version of windows currently.
Also on a side note, can windows 10 home and pro be added to the detection set, so I'd use something like ten_x86_bnxxxx_pro etc?
Well it already knows that your system is a pro or not as the line in the log file that says "Detected OS:" where it says something similar to "English (1033) Microsoft Windows 10 Pro X64" that line is completely built by the program. So it knows your OS is X64 and PRO. Your right it doesn't state that in the detection tags so it is ignored in that regard and cannot be used by you. I can get that added very easily although... your making my tag line longer. (squinted eyes)
I know you said you was looking at permanent retirement from the program, but any help beforehand is appreciated if at all possible

I don't mind tinkering with things and studying the code though
I don't want permanent retirement, it is being forced on me. I can still do some work but, not much and it will take longer to do. I will be glad to pass the torch to someone else though.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

ohh hmm... actually the detection for showing the pro version or not in the tag line was broken. I just fixed it. The tag line your probably looking for is at the end. "TEN_X64_BN17763_PROFI". "PROFI" stands for pro. Don't look at me... I didn't come up with that, its been in there since before I showed up. BTW there are 3 versions of pro in case you didn't know. Pro(PROFI), Pro E(PROFIE), and Pro N(PROFIN). They will be considered the same thing for your purposes, I have never heard/seen of an update to one but, not the other. However if you detect by one... you exclude the others. On the other hand... the likelihood of running into an E or N version is low although it CAN happen.
undro

Post by undro »

TheAPGuy wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:17 amI have had something happen that has pretty much taken the wind out of my programming sails.
Hey APGuy. Whatever the reason is, I hope it works out well.
zombywoof

Post by zombywoof »

Hi APGuy. So sorry to hear of your misfortunes.
Did you get an apprentice to hand over to?
If there's a single big endpoint target, it would be for a January 2020 end-of-the-line Windows 7 updater. I'm tasked with updating and monitoring very many NFP PCs in medical diagnosis and tack/trace labs across Africa, and currently there is no way they can update to W10. So, to be able to take/distribute a USB with everything up to Jan'20 would be a very fine data (and life) saver as many of the locations only get to the net using cellular.
Has anyone got there?
If not, then what's the danger of getting a few guys together for that (count me in as a volunteer)? I'm actually surprised that there isn't a package already out there...
With health karma to APGuy..