Old Posted News

Place you can talk about other things not related to autopatcher.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft Re-Issues Windows 7 Updates Forcing Windows 10 Upgrade, Enabling Data Collection

Post by TheAPGuy »

hmm I will check around...
ChrisJ

Re: Microsoft Re-Issues Windows 7 Updates Forcing Windows 10 Upgrade, Enabling Data Collection

Post by ChrisJ »

Some testing over the past few days revealed - not sure what exactly - some will laugh or ignore :)

AP.net feeds ~80KB every page, every click - front page, subforum, latest post... I compared 2 other forums who also use phpbb, clicking around their forums - front page, subforum, latest post, ~10KB and the page is loaded. AP.net was this way, loaded very quickly.

This is insignificant to most, for me it has added ~25 seconds loading time to every page. If I stop the page loading, something wont work, spoiler wont open, the editor quits responding. If I allow the 80KB, everything works. I'll try not to mention it again. I can limit my visits to AP, maybe from the library or school.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

REALLY?! ok... test this then... switch to the default skin and try that. If not that it may well be package which is the edit/attach window and all its glory. I can disable it to switch back to default edit box for a test if that is the case as well.

hmmm its also possibly related to a bug I just discovered the board has. My error logs are filling up with 30 errors a day related to images not being generated. Its a known issue and has been fixed. It requires an update and I won't have time till the weekend.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

TheAPGuy wrote:REALLY?! ok... test this then... switch to the default skin and try that.
I've been using the default, prosilver. I tried the others, didn't care for em. The default is bland but it works ok.

I switched to black and clicked around, I'm using it now - no change. If an update will fix a bug, squash it. Also, don't disable anything, I'd hate users complaining about some feature no longer working for them. This is an issue I need to address. When it becomes too annoying I'll limit my visits or stay away, afterall I'm the only one who noticed.
ChrisJ

Member Rank

Post by ChrisJ »

I mention this only in fun, it made me chuckle :lol: As I was clicking about trying to determine if every page @ AP.net requires this mysterious 80KB, I clicked Members, sorting by post count and rank, looks like WAC is the new boss <---> same as the old boss :mrgreen:

BTW, who's Paul with 2 posts, does he ever come around? Just wonderin', don't think I've seen him logged in???
► Show Spoiler
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Well if its acting slow for some reason, I need to take care of it. And disabling the extra doodads for the edit window is really just a click away and click to turn back on.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Member Rank

Post by TheAPGuy »

ohh he is the guy who helped me port the database properly to allow the old forums posts to be shown.

As for WAC being a higher rank... I can only choose one rank title. I could have chosen admin or site owner. Choosing owner (to me) seems to have more... prestige? However for what ever reason a contributor is higher class then owner. lol
Pendraguin

Post by Pendraguin »

And who could ever forget OurManInBananas
(ok it's just one that stood out in the member list) :lol:
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

TheAPGuy wrote:ohh he is the guy who helped me port the database properly to allow the old forums posts to be shown.

As for WAC being a higher rank... I can only choose one rank title. I could have chosen admin or site owner. Choosing owner (to me) seems to have more... prestige? However for what ever reason a contributor is higher class then owner. lol
Oh, ok. I thought he had a couple posts in the forum but a search brought up nothing, not a big deal.

I was just havin' fun with it. Your the owner/admin, and Wac is subadmin. I know color designates more than branding with a badge. Hey, I got a kick out of my badge, just noticed it today. I figure I'm more of a contributor though than a mod :) Can general members pick other badges, they're cool looking and do pop a bit -- maybe 'Awesome Member', 'Wild&Crazy'.
Pendraguin wrote:And who could ever forget OurManInBananas
(ok it's just one that stood out in the member list) :lol:
That is a great name, funny without being over the top or vulgar, or does 'bananas' mean something I don't know :?:
Pendraguin

Post by Pendraguin »

Alas, he only had a couple posts over a year ago, so the world may never know.

Update: Google shows "About 3,280 results", so perhaps the world DOES know. :!: