Autopatcher v6.2

In this area, you will find test programs and scripts.
val__

Re: Autopatcher v6.1 beta

Post by val__ »

TheAPGuy wrote:Hmm... when it says "EXTRA FILE" that means when WAC made the RTIZ file (hash file) he did not have that file. There are a few reasons for this. It may be that he forgot to put in a delete command for that file in the script when the file was no longer needed, OR he made the RTIZ then added the file but, forgot to make a new RTIZ.

Dang, ChrisJ beat me to it again. My excuse was I spent several hours programming with this window open.
This is what sweeper wants to delete now.
sweeper-log.txt
I'm still using AP 6.1.32
Total size of AP directory: 6.40GB (2940 files)
After running sweeper: 1.79GB (896 files)
:mrgreen:

Can we have total file size and count in Sweeper of to-be-deleted files in verbose or test mode? And maybe the same in confirmation dialog before actually letting sweeper doing his job...

//Update:
deleted everything and started downloading from scratch. :roll:
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

Hi val.

A quick look at your Sweeper log, one thing stands out - no mention of Windows 7 or 8 (x64 or x86) rtiz files that I see, which may be why the releases were seen as EXTRA. I don't know if your AP package was Official or not - AP is Official and all releases are True in Release Info. It would have been nice to know what releases were unofficial (untrue) from the get-go, it's possible Sweeper is choking a bit when there are too many files to verify.

I would test using Sweeper 1.3 as well, simply rename it so the 2 can coexist - Sweeper.exe & TheSweeper.exe.

Some of the other issues need to be addressed too, Office 07, Admin Tools, etc, but it's difficult when the whole enchillada is thrown down at once. Sorry if you mentioned some of this in previous posts, and has been ongoing.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I just found out why AP can say it unofficial but, the releases show as official. AP wasn't counting extra files as being unofficial. Using verbose you can see it was giving silent errors to that fact. Just happened to me with the latest Win7 X64 script. There were extra files not deleted and verbose showed my why.

for WAC:
► Show Spoiler
Whatacrock
Release Maintainer
Release Maintainer

Post by Whatacrock »

All appear in the batch control file, so they should be deleted unless the batch file is misbehaving itself again...
"Now if you Sons of B*@ches got anything else to say, NOW'S THE F@#%ING TIME!!"
val__

Post by val__ »

ChrisJ wrote:A quick look at your Sweeper log, one thing stands out - no mention of Windows 7 or 8 (x64 or x86) rtiz files that I see, which may be why the releases were seen as EXTRA. I don't know if your AP package was Official or not - AP is Official and all releases are True in Release Info. It would have been nice to know what releases were unofficial (untrue) from the get-go, it's possible Sweeper is choking a bit when there are too many files to verify.
I had both 7 and 8 releases before it started acting weird. AP downloaded from autopatcher.net - so I can't say it's unofficial.
Will see how it goes... :roll:

Thanks for help. ;)
val__

Post by val__ »

Can autopatcher "loose" it's elevated permissions if I run it all the time from a limited user? Could it be reason for "permission denied" sometimes in crash log?
Windows 7 x64 SP1.

Date-time in each crash log event could also be helpful.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

val__ wrote:Can autopatcher "loose" it's elevated permissions if I run it all the time from a limited user? Could it be reason for "permission denied" sometimes in crash log?
Windows 7 x64 SP1.

Date-time in each crash log event could also be helpful.
AP downloading as a limited user might be OK but I'm not sure if updating a system is wise. Updates need to overwrite files, write to the registry, etc. Whatever permissions have been granted should remain in place unless someone or possibly something has changed the account settings. Personally, I wouldn't run AP from anything other than admin.

What say you..? Anyone..?
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

I can't say from experience but, as far as I know a program can not (normally) elevate another programs to a level higher then itself without user interaction. So if you ran AP with admin rights the programs it calls will have the same rights. If you run it with limited rights it will not be able to elevate updates to the appropriate level. hmm I need to figure a way for the program to figure out what its current privileges are and just not go into install mode if limited. Shouldn't be too hard to just ask the API.
val__

Post by val__ »

I understand how it "should be" working as bachelor in IT ;)
I'm trying to figure out why is my AP crashing so much.
I readownloaded all updates and AP crashed like 4-5 times only. After each time I run sweeper and it wanted to delete 1 or 2 updates, at most.

AP un Sweeper asks for admin rights every time I open them. That's OK.
Let's say AP are downloading updates (with external CURL exe, I suppose) and somehow it loose it's elevated rights to save a file into AP subdirectory (that are in disk where limited user have read access). Just thinking...

Not my first language, but I tried to explain as I could.
One more time in short sentences :)
I'm logged in as limited user.
I open AP executable and windows asks for admin password.
So now AP runs with elevated rights.
And then in the process of downloading updates "something" happens and AP crashes.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

Well technically as long as the directory is "yours" you do not need admin rights to create files in that directory. Even downloading does not need admin rights. However it does help to push past certain barriers such as deleting things that already exist.

As for the installation problems:
AP is calling the update executables wrong it seems. For some reason (I have not figured out why yet) the update programs want to be executed like a dos command instead of just outright called with passed parameters.