Autopatcher v6.2

In this area, you will find test programs and scripts.
themadkansan

Re: Autopatcher v6.2

Post by themadkansan »

Pulled 6.2.2, fresh empty directory, dled common modules, win7 32/64, redistributables, and .net 32/64.

AP now lists modules in the about->release box, but win7 32/64 are both coming back false, missing files even though the DL side didn't complain.

AP log:
► Show Spoiler
Sweeper log:
► Show Spoiler
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

themadkansan wrote:Pulled 6.2.2, fresh empty directory, dled common modules, win7 32/64, redistributables, and .net 32/64.

AP now lists modules in the about->release box, but win7 32/64 are both coming back false, missing files even though the DL side didn't complain
We need to see the log for a Windows 7 (x86 & x64) download to see why these files aren't downloading for you - fire up AP and select Win 7 (x86 & x64) only, let it finish. Post the unedited log. To keep things simple don't load the modules (Install Updates) pane in AP after the download completes, this will only create a larger log, just do a download, when done close AP, and post the log when you get a chance. The newer AP writes every button click to the log, it can get confusing - all the info.
DesertJerry

Post by DesertJerry »

TheAPGuy wrote:What kind of malware is it saying it found? Its weird too because scanning it with my defender and uploading it to online scanners that use defender both return no issues.
Win10 Build 10586 (upgraded 8.1 > AutoPatcher 6.2.02 > UAC message 'Windows Defender blocked this app to protect your PC' > Close

Windows Defender > PC Status: At risk > History > All detected items > Five instances of: !#UACTrigger.A Severe

Description: This program has potentially unwanted behavior.

Recommended action: Permit this detected item only if you trust the program or the software publisher.

Items: amsiuac:F76CE7AF65B55D71F1C5CCCC31ECF7AF
Get more information about this item online. Clicking on this lead me to a page: Microsoft Malware Protection Center - New ransomware that exhibits worm-like behavior: Link (.lnk) to Ransom

Boot to Win10 Insider Preview Build 14367 > AutoPatcher 6.2.02 > Did not start > UAC Windows Defender blocked this app to protect your device > Close

Windows Defender > PC Status: At risk > History > All detected items > !#UACTrigger.A Severe

Category: Virus

Description: This program has potentially unwanted behavior.

Recommended action: Permit this detected item only if you trust the program or the software publisher.

Items: amsiuac:4380A116A09173894D148F1F8917475F

Get more information about this item online. Clicking on this lead me to a page: Microsoft Malware Protection Center - New ransomware that exhibits worm-like behavior: Link (.lnk) to Ransom
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

hmm... User Athorcis made a POST abut what amsiuac means on answers.microsoft.com
i don't know if it will be helpful but amsiuac is actually the concatenation of two acronyms AMSI and UAC which respectively means AntiMalware Scan Interface and User Account Control (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 85%29.aspx)
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3577 ... -10-a.html
"In Windows 10, User Account Control has added some improvements.
  • Integration with the Antimalware Scan Interface (AMSI). The AMSI scans all UAC elevation requests for malware. If malware is detected, the admin privilege is blocked."
Searching the web shows results that windows defender/UAC for win10 is very aggressive in protecting its users and flagging things left and right. Basically any program that does not have trusted code signing and asks for admin is flagged as "potentially hazardous" which makes the users who are less PC's savvy freak out. Its the new way for windows 10.

It is both bad and good. Good for the users since it makes them aware of "potential" issues and bad because not all coders are able to put up the substantial cost of 200-400 a year for a tier 2 code license (there are 2 tears for code license one is MS knows of this "guy/company". The second tier is this is a verified person/company). Second tier costs and arm and a leg but, gets you instant no questions asked approval from MS OS on your applications privileges (provided the user hits YES on the UAC pop up window should that be enabled).

I digressed, the windows 10 users seem to agree to just add an exception for the application that is giving you issues if you trust it. I could... probably get around that by just NOT asking for admin privileges and hoping the current user is an admin or you right clicked and hit "run as admin".

In fact... here... Uploading the same AP that does NOT ask for admin rights. Try this out. (just the EXE)

If that works for you... I could make a first time run generate a link that runs it as admin or something similar.
Attachments
AutoPatcher.7z
(190.65 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

ChrisJ wrote:We need to see the log for a Windows 7 (x86 & x64) download to see why these files aren't downloading for you - fire up AP and select Win 7 (x86 & x64) only, let it finish. Post the unedited log. To keep things simple don't load the modules (Install Updates) pane in AP after the download completes, this will only create a larger log, just do a download, when done close AP, and post the log when you get a chance. The newer AP writes every button click to the log, it can get confusing - all the info.
Attachments
autopatcher.7z
(21.14 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
DesertJerry

Post by DesertJerry »

The APGuy
21 Jun 16

Win10 Build 10586 (upgraded 8.1 > extracted AutoPatcher.7z to an empty folder > double-clicked > Application error: !!Missing important files!! > Log file:

Autopatcher v6.2.3 Has Started at 21-Jun-16 14:09:40

Starting Autopatcher From C:\new

Checking if an update is already running.
Detected OS: English (1033) Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Current Locale: English / Non-Unicode Default: English
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\new\bin\COMCTL32.OCX
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\new\bin\MSCOMCTL.OCX
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\new\bin\COMDLG32.OCX
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\new\bin\RICHTX32.OCX
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\new\bin\curl.exe
MISSING IMPORTANT FILE: C:\new\bin\7za.exe
Abnormal Exit Via Form's X Button.

Autopatcher Is Terminating At 21-Jun-16 14:10:41

Moved AutoPatcher.exe (v6.2.03) to test folder > double-clicked > started ok > no Defender message > Download updates > RED: AutoPatcher Engine 6.2.02 (Replaces Apup) > others blue or black as expected > Next

Install Updates > Listing as expected (except Silverlight has been updated to v5.1.50428.0)

Boot to Win10 Insider Preview Build 14367 > double-clicked AP6.2.03 > Same results as earlier - appears to be working as expected.
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

OK, so non-admin version works for windows 10. I will see about adding in detection for if the app is running with admin permissions and poping up a warning message when you install to tell you that installs may not work correctly without admin permissions. Maybe even pup up a UAC window to ask for permissions to elevate application permissions. Self elevating requires a reboot of the app though.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

I have to laugh, I just plain suck at this --- communicating --- but I do try very hard. CJ punts...
TheAPGuy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by TheAPGuy »

ChrisJ wrote:I have to laugh, I just plain suck at this --- communicating --- but I do try very hard. CJ punts...
Did I miss something?

themadkansan:
A fresh download of Windows 7 x64 gives the following sweeper errors
UNOFFICIAL MISSING: File 'modules\Windows_Seven_x64\Critical\Critical_files\Windows6.1-KB3153199-x64.msu' (RTI:'seven_x64_sp1.rtiz')
UNOFFICIAL MISSING: File 'modules\Windows_Seven_x64\NonCritical\NonCritical_files\Windows6.1-KB3153731-x64.msu' (RTI:'seven_x64_sp1.rtiz')

so its not just you.
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

TheAPGuy wrote:
ChrisJ wrote:I have to laugh, I just plain suck at this --- communicating --- but I do try very hard. CJ punts...
Did I miss something?

themadkansan:
A fresh download of Windows 7 x64 gives the following sweeper errors
UNOFFICIAL MISSING: File 'modules\Windows_Seven_x64\Critical\Critical_files\Windows6.1-KB3153199-x64.msu' (RTI:'seven_x64_sp1.rtiz')
UNOFFICIAL MISSING: File 'modules\Windows_Seven_x64\NonCritical\NonCritical_files\Windows6.1-KB3153731-x64.msu' (RTI:'seven_x64_sp1.rtiz')

so its not just you.
okeyboke, I'll assume it's the same issue with the x86 side files missing too; also, just for grins i tried the latest download archive with 6.2.2 on a fresh test install of win7sp1x64, and everything but the IE11 installer seemed to work - IE11 threw a switch dialog box and stopped until I clicked Close.