Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/content/48/12024248/html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(1739) : eval()'d code on line 900

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/48/12024248/html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(1739) : eval()'d code:900) in /home/content/48/12024248/html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/48/12024248/html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(1739) : eval()'d code:900) in /home/content/48/12024248/html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/48/12024248/html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(1739) : eval()'d code:900) in /home/content/48/12024248/html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/48/12024248/html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(1739) : eval()'d code:900) in /home/content/48/12024248/html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/48/12024248/html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(1739) : eval()'d code:900) in /home/content/48/12024248/html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
XPerience and Confusion - AutoPatcher Forum

XPerience and Confusion

4 replies to this topic

#1 chtuc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

Installing XP first edition on a VMWare workstation 6 computer has raised a couple questions
concerning XP and AutoPatcher which I hope you can help me with.

Can I use the August 2007 AP core and update package, and will this install and update XP
first edition right up to and including, SP3?

I presume I do not have to load SP1 or SP2 as intermediary steps.. is that correct?
:blink:

When I run AutoPatcher, I invariably get a "Missing Files" message. I have read the
forum about this, but none of the solutions work (and I've tried installations on Windows 2K
as well as XP).

One file is absent from the APUP folder : Releases.list

Another detail that is different from what the installation PDF indicates :
AutoPatcher.exe must be first extracted from a ZIP file to be used.

Thanks in advance
chtuc
:rolleyes:

#2 _def_x_

audi 5k

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

Hi chtuc...
Let's start from scratch!

Quote-> Can I use the August 2007 AP core and update package, and will this install and update XP
first edition right up to and including, SP3?

No. Set it aside since you all ready have it but Autopatcher works differently now thanks to MS. Do delete
the folder and contents the executable created, we're starting fresh !!!

Quote-> I presume I do not have to load SP1 or SP2 as intermediary steps.. is that correct?

Wrong. You will need to have SP2 or SP3 installed. Since as of June 10 the Autopatcher for XP SP2 will
no longer be available you might as well update your PC to XP SP3. If you should want to continue using
Autopatcher in the future you will need to have SP3 installed on your XP X86 machine, you decide.

Quote-> Another detail that is different from what the installation PDF indicates: AutoPatcher.exe must be
first extracted from a ZIP file to be used.

Like I said above, Autopatcher works a little different now.

1...Download and install the appropriate Service Pack if you want to use Autopatcher - SP3 Recommended.

2...Create a NEW, EMPTY, folder. Don't try and use the old folder or its contents. The name can remain the
same, this is up to you. C:\Autopatcher or C:\APUP or whatever...just make sure it is an empty folder.

3...Download apup.zip and extract the contents to your empty folder named above.
http://www.autopatch...engine/apup.zip

4...Locate the apup.exe file in your "New" Autopatcher folder and run it, when you have "Checked" the
appropriate boxes for the OS and Service Pack you want, extras etc, you will need to be connected to
the internet to begin downloading the AutoPatcher package you are going to create.

NOTE: Pay careful attention to the APUP window where you will make your selections, check only the items
you need/want. Also, XP SP2 and SP3 CANNOT be in the same folder so only check one OS here.

It should look like this.
Required -> AutoPatcher Updater
Required -> AutoPatcher Engine
Required -> Windows XP SP3 x86 English (whatever your OS)
Optional -> DirectX Addon Pack
Optional -> Dotnet Addon Pack
Optional -> Extras Addon Pack

Also...You can create a combo Windows 2000 SP4 / XP SP3 package just check(add) Windows 2000 SP4 to
your list. You can't do this if you choose XP SP2. Other combos are possible I'm sure but I'm unfamiliar with
them.

When your ready, and connected to the internet, click "Next". Apup.exe will connect to autopatcher.net and
get the required release info and scripts, and connect to microsoft directly to begin collecting the updates for
your Autopatcher package. Depending on your speed this will likely take some time to complete.

Finally. When done, you should get a "Finish" tab to close the "Apup" window. At this point Autopatcher will
run like it did in the past, from the "autopatcher.exe file. "Run" autopatcher.exe to update your pc like you
always have.

If you should get any error messages we can deal with them at that time, most are easily overcome.

Hope this helps some!!!

Mike

#3 _def_x_

audi 5k

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hi chtuc...

I just wanted to clarify so as not to give any mis information.

About combo's ie: 2000 SP4 and XP SP3 in the same folder.
I do believe that I read that to have 2K SP4 it was best to have it combined with
XP SP3 only. If you should want 2K combined with XP SP2 I would ask someone
who knows. Like I said, other combos are do-able as well.

About getting a stand-alone XP SP2 x86 just for safe keeping if you think you
might want it. Read post below.

http://www.autopatch...p?showtopic=490

http://www.autopatcher.net/2008/05/windows...ed-temporarily/

If so. Just create a new folder, "empty of course", extract contents of apup.zip to folder,
blablabla.....

"run" -> apup.exe

"check the boxes"
Required -> AutoPatcher Updater
Required -> AutoPatcher Engine
Required -> Windows XP SP2 x86 English
Optional -> DirectX Addon Pack
Optional -> Dotnet Addon Pack
Optional -> Extras Addon Pack

Download etc.

Done.

#4 chtuc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:52 PM

Thanks Mike. I will wait until morning to study your two messages carefully. One item
which stands out, is your answer whether I have to install SP2 before SP3.

How can I update my original XP to SP2 using Autopatcher when it is no longer available?
... even though you say it will be kept available until June 10th, I can't find it anywhere
on the web!

Or is there a way to update my original XP to SP3 directly?

Bye for now.. Thanks again !

#5 _def_x_

audi 5k

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:53 AM

Hi chtuc...

Sorry if I was confusing you. Don't over analyze what I wrote just follow the instructions, it is
really easier than I probably made it sound. Autopatcher has basic system requirements, in this
case, you need to have a Windows XP Service Pack 3 system BEFORE you use Autopatcher for
Windows XP SP3 x86. You get Service Pack 3 from Microsoft, and not Autopatcher. Lets ignore
XP Service Pack 2 stuff, you wont need it.

So, go directly to Microsoft and download and install Service Pack 3 for Windows XP "FIRST", this was
step 1 in my post. Read the instructions provided by Microsoft if you are unsure of how to install SP3,
but it really should be an easy time for you. This is how you update your "original XP to SP3 directly"

Service Pack 3 For Windows XP Link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

The above link is for the Stand Alone executable. Read ALL the Info so you get Service Pack 3 installed properly.

THEN...After you install Service Pack 3 (it will take a bit of time to complete) just continue with (step 2) in my above
instructions (create a new empty folder), and then (step 3) download the apup.zip file, so on, etc.

Mike...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users